Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now we all have to digest freeing the patents. I am processing it. My unconscious bias jumps into full gear and I see some very good sides to today's announcement.:wink:

Less hampering of progress. New (cool) way of doing business. Great PR for Tesla. Less wealth transfer to lawyers. Speeding up of ev availability to drivers.

The only downside would be potential revenue loss due to loss of licencing fees. This downside is non existent due to low likelihood of anyone being interested in paying for Tesla technology.

Not sure how unbiased market will react.

Now we all have to digest freeing the patents. I am processing it. My unconscious bias jumps into full gear and I see some very good sides to today's announcement.:wink:

Less hampering of progress. New (cool) way of doing business. Great PR for Tesla. Less wealth transfer to lawyers. Speeding up of ev availability to drivers.

The only downside would be potential revenue loss due to loss of licencing fees. This downside is non existent due to low likelihood of anyone being interested in paying for Tesla technology.

Not sure how unbiased market will react.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/all-our-patent-are-belong

When I read through the comments of Elons blog entry I slowly realized what an incredibly smart move it was. I think he will inspire a whole generation of engineers. And I'm talking about the engineers who truly want to change the world. And aren't we investing in Tesla because we think it's technology could change the world in the best possible way a manufacturing company is able to. Think about what Tesla could achieve if out of every engineering class they could choose the top 1% to work for them. I think this is what will happen in the not so distant future.

By the way I am not concerned about the valuation of the company. My valuation model and as far as I know none of the analysts or TMC-memebers valuation models included considerable revenue from IP licensing.

Last but not least this announcement will generate additional demand from all the right people who will buy the car for all the right reasons. They will be advocates for Tesla and the best salesmen for their products for the foreseeable future.

BMW having talks with Tesla Motors !

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014...companyNews&feedType=RSS&feedName=companyNews

THANK YOU BMW !!! you made my day ! been driving BMW since I got my driver licence 21 years ago and, yes I am still fully committed to the company because not only they are buliding fabulous cars but they are indeed pioneers in the field of innovation, particularly connected driving (ConnectedDrive). All these years I've been asking myself why for God sake they are not jumping into Tesla's business because they (BMW) have the potential of being one of the leaders in disruptive tech! and today, the Day has come, finally! Congrats BMW! BMW & Tesla Motors = 4ever ! :)

Don't get ahead of yourself on the BMW front. They were there to ask about how to collaborate and how to improve EV's. Given that the i3 was all they could come up with, I think they realized Tesla knows more and needs their help. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a partnered Tesla/BMW gen 3 car like the Subaru/Toyota BRZ/FRS relationship.

Don't get ahead of yourself on the BMW front. They were there to ask about how to collaborate and how to improve EV's. Given that the i3 was all they could come up with, I think they realized Tesla knows more and needs their help. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a partnered Tesla/BMW gen 3 car like the Subaru/Toyota BRZ/FRS relationship.

Gen III with reinforced carbon fiber body and Tesla drivetrain would be great!

Because Tesla already said that their AWD will be the best in the world, so no need for BMW here :wink:

Actually the Tesla AWD is an AWD System for EVs. I would call it e-AWD with no axis connecting the front wheels and the rear wheels. On the contrary the BMW x-drive is a common AWD for ICE car having only one motor.
Of course the e-AWD is much better because all the AWD system is electronically controlled with no inertia due to the axis connecting the wheels and the ICE engine. This means much more speed of execution of the commands on all the single wheels of the e-AWD with respect to the BMW x-drive.

I agree. It's great they 'talked', but will they 'act' in this century? In this decade? IF all in the company are willing, then how fast can they change direction and make it happen? I've got doubts, but fingers crossed.

They might not want to move but regulations are forcing their hand. EU is imposing regulations on automakers fleets regarding Carbon emissions. German gov wants 1 mill ev cars by 2020.

No need for all in the company to be willing. BMW is not a democracy. Only these people need to be willing.
Dr.-Ing. Dr.-Ing. E.h. Norbert Reithofer
Chairman of the Board of Managemen

Dr. Friedrich Eichiner
Finance

Frank-Peter Arndt

Production (until 31 March 2013

Dr. - Ing. Herbert Diess
Developmen

Harald Krüger
MINI, Motorcycles, Rolls-Royce, After Sales BMW Group (up to 31 March 2013)
Production (as of 1 April 2013

Dr. - Ing. Klaus Draeger
Purchasing and Supplier Network

Dr. Ian Robertson (HONDSC)
Sales and Marketing BMW, Sales Channels BMW Group

Milagros Caiña Carreiro-Andree
Human Resources

Peter Schwarzenbauer

MINI, BMW Motorrad, Rolls-Royce, Aftersales BMW Group (as of 1 April 2013)

Last edited:
Automakers all over the world are forced to move towards EVs. See for instance the effects of driving ICE cars on oceans.

Each time you drive, your car's carbon emissions spread into the atmosphere and the oceans absorb a quarter of the world's carbon dioxide emissions annually. Here's another way of putting it: As atmospheric carbon dioxide rises, so it does in the ocean. This is bad, because lower pH levels make it hard for shelled organisms, such as clams, oysters, corals and some plankton, to live. When these backbones of the ocean die, the repercussions carry throughout the whole ecosystem (if coral reefs are unable to recover from, say, pounding storms, it would affect the million-or-so species that depend on them). Add that to present estimates of future carbon dioxide levels indicating the ocean could be nearly 150 percent more acidic by the 2100s.

They might not want to move but regulations are forcing their hand. EU is imposing regulations on automakers fleets regarding Carbon emissions. German gov wants 1 mill ev cars by 2020.

No need for all in the company to be willing. BMW is not a democracy. Only these people need to be willing.
Dr.-Ing. Dr.-Ing. E.h. Norbert Reithofer
Chairman of the Board of Managemen

Dr. Friedrich Eichiner
Finance

Frank-Peter Arndt

Production (until 31 March 2013

Dr. - Ing. Herbert Diess
Developmen

Harald Krüger
MINI, Motorcycles, Rolls-Royce, After Sales BMW Group (up to 31 March 2013)
Production (as of 1 April 2013

Dr. - Ing. Klaus Draeger
Purchasing and Supplier Network

Dr. Ian Robertson (HONDSC)
Sales and Marketing BMW, Sales Channels BMW Group

Milagros Caiña Carreiro-Andree
Human Resources

Peter Schwarzenbauer

MINI, BMW Motorrad, Rolls-Royce, Aftersales BMW Group (as of 1 April 2013)

OMG so many doctors

No need for all in the company to be willing. BMW is not a democracy.

Yeah, um...didn't mean all 'literally'. All as in all that have the power to make this type of decision. But even so, ignoring the rest of the people in the company risks losing a few/many/a lot. Having been an employee before who was thought to be nothing more than a number, I can tell you it isn't really good for company moral to treat people like they are unimportant. So while not a democracy, it's not a dictatorship either. It's always nice to 'ask' even if the answer doesn't matter. Remember, you were the one who was all about the CEO being responsible for setting the tone in a company. Don't you think a CEO should 'consult' with their entire company on such a radical change in direction?

Yeah, um...didn't mean all 'literally'. All as in all that have the power to make this type of decision. But even so, ignoring the rest of the people in the company risks losing a few/many/a lot. Having been an employee before who was thought to be nothing more than a number, I can tell you it isn't really good for company moral to treat people like they are unimportant. So while not a democracy, it's not a dictatorship either. It's always nice to 'ask' even if the answer doesn't matter. Remember, you were the one who was all about the CEO being responsible for setting the tone in a company. Don't you think a CEO should 'consult' with their entire company on such a radical change in direction?

Bosses listen if they want, but when it comes to the decision making process, my experience is more of a military dictatorship than democracy.:biggrin:

On manufacturing sites, people are often a liability and a cost, so most sites tend to automate their process as much as possible. People might be more valued in different kind of businesses, like consultancies, or software businesses.

I don't see CEO setting the tone as CEO establishing democratic ways in a business. I doubt Elon consulted many Tesla employees when releasing patents or deciding to build gigafactories. Not all employees need to have an input in strategic business decisions. Employees are likely to have some input in their local area of work.

Last edited: