Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So when do pick service plan etc.?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla told me they'd credit me back for the annual service I just had when I get the service plan.

Jason, I guess you hit the 12,500 mile mark well head of the 12-month mark.

Can you please let us know what services were performed on the car apart from probably battery coolant top-off? Tire rotation? Wheel alignment? You may not have needed brake work, I'd assume.

Jason, I guess you hit the 12,500 mile mark well head of the 12-month mark.

Can you please let us know what services were performed on the car apart from probably battery coolant top-off? Tire rotation? Wheel alignment? You may not have needed brake work, I'd assume.

Yep, I just reached 15,000.

I'll have to find the paperwork... and I don't remember how much detail it went into. I'll get back to you on that when I have a chance.

I am guessing there may be legal issues with having mandatory ambiguous service requirements to maintain your warranty.

Both my Camry and MDX will void warranty if I don't do the fluid changes and other "required" maintenance at certain intervals. I think the difficulty maybe that tesla requires tesla certified technician to perform the annual inspection/maintenance.

Both my Camry and MDX will void warranty if I don't do the fluid changes and other "required" maintenance at certain intervals. I think the difficulty maybe that tesla requires tesla certified technician to perform the annual inspection/maintenance.
This has been covered to death and beyond. Toyota, as with pretty much all manufacturers, will not fix damage caused by incorrect or no maintenance under warranty, but they don't void the entire warranty. If you don't change the engine oil ever and your transmission fails, as long as it's been maintained properly, it's covered.

This is a quote from the 2012 Camry warranty document:

"You are responsible for performance of
the required maintenance indicated in the
Owner’s Manual
and this booklet. Toyota
will not deny a warranty claim solely
because you do not have records to show
that you maintained your vehicle. However,
any failure or noncompliance caused by
lack of maintenance is not covered by this
warranty"

Maybe some legal sticking points with warranties in certain states.

Or the US federal warranty law. Ahem.

- - - Updated - - -

This has been covered to death and beyond. Toyota, as with pretty much all manufacturers, will not fix damage caused by incorrect or no maintenance under warranty, but they don't void the entire warranty. If you don't change the engine oil ever and your transmission fails, as long as it's been maintained properly, it's covered.

This is a quote from the 2012 Camry warranty document:

"You are responsible for performance of
the required maintenance indicated in the
Owner’s Manual
and this booklet. Toyota
will not deny a warranty claim solely
because you do not have records to show
that you maintained your vehicle. However,
any failure or noncompliance caused by
lack of maintenance is not covered by this
warranty"

One of the problems is that, unlike the Toyota owners manual, the Tesla owner's manual simply does not tell you how to properly maintain your vehicle by yourself. Well, apart from tires. (So I'm doing that.)

Not sure if this is new, didn't notice it before (showing on the Tesla site now). No sign up forms yet, but says online signup forms "soon."

Interesting they are offering wheel insurance as well.

Sp1.jpg

sp2.jpg

I thought tires were I clouded under the maintenance plan? Or was it everything but tires?

Anything but tires.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure if this is new, didn't notice it before (showing on the Tesla site now). No sign up forms yet, but says online signup forms "soon."

Interesting they are offering wheel insurance as well.

Wheel insurance you say? If that includes curb rash, I'm in.

I don't think most wheel and tire road hazard insurance includes curb rash... I believe it only covers accidents like nails, potholes, etc... I am curious what the term is. They list $900 for the 21", but there's no indication of duration or mileage.

The 19" OE Goodyear tires tires are $588 per set with an additional $15.39 per tire for road hazard at TireRack. $700 for a road hazard policy alone seems a bit much--Unless they're saying that $700 covers all tire related expenses for four years.

I assume that even those of us with the car for awhile will have 30 days from actual announcement to sign up.

This was my question as well, since I have had the car exactly 30 days and see no way of actually signing up for this program currently. Perhaps the wording should be interpreted as meaning that a customer has 30 days to purchase a plan after taking possession when Tesla actually starts offering service plans.

We are all freeloading at Tesla's expense for the service plan and data connectivity as of now.

Unlikely, but, the curious thing would be if Tesla sets the activation date for the service plans, once in place, retroactively to the end of the post-purchase 30-day window for each owner?! Boy, I can imagine these forums lighting up if that were to happen ;)