Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So what happens when multiple X's park next to each other?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, all the focus on being able to open in a tiny space is probably less about actually doing it and more about debunking the hoards of average Joes (many who I have personally heard this from) who think you won't be able to open the doors when parked next to something.

Tesla nod?
Party?
World domination realized?
Conceding that you're not the only cool person in the world?
(My personal favorite because it's happened way more times than I care to admit) - You try and get in the wrong vehicle and wonder why your key doesn't work, then you realize there are no fuzzy dice hanging from the rearview mirror and think (first) that someone has stolen your fuzzy dice - the bastards! - and then you realize, 'huh, not my car', and try in the most nonchalant manner to turn around and get in your car via the passenger side.

This ^^

Honestly, all the focus on being able to open in a tiny space is probably less about actually doing it and more about debunking the hoards of average Joes (many who I have personally heard this from) who think you won't be able to open the doors when parked next to something.

I'm in totally agreement. Everyone has been complaining about the doors knocking into obstacles (cars, garage walls/ceilings, etc.) and this is just Elon putting those fears to rest. These are smart doors that can avoid hitting obstacles. It would be really handy in most garages, including mine.

With regards to opening 2 Model-X close to each other, it's easy. They would be staggered. The one that starts first would open normally, and the second would open until it got close to the first door and then stop. There should be plenty of room for passengers to enter/exit.

The part that I found the most interesting and impressive is that the falcon doors are adaptive. They will change their arc and opening dynamics to avoid obstacles. It's entirely possible that there is a different profile for when 2 Model-Xs are parked next to each other.

In normal circumstances the two Model Xs will simply sniff each other out and try to determine if there is a mutual "interest". When combining this ritual with the added electricity from "plugging in" at a SuperCharger I think that the net result would be little Model 3s in about 9 months.
icon12.gif

Is there a "Tesla Time" parallel for gestation period? Sure it's not 1 year, 9 months?

ok so from the presentation it assumed that it's easy to open the model X doors when parked next to a minivan or other SUV. But what about when you have multiple model X's parked next to each other, say like at a SUPERCHARGER?
I really do not understand what problem you are imagining will occur if X's park next to each other. Can you explain in more detail?

Just alternate every other car between nose-in and rear-in parked. Then, coordinate their openings all at the same time.

Also, when you do this please be sure to have someone outside recording it. Bonus points for video recorded from above. Would look pretty epic.

Tesla nod?
Party?
World domination realized?
Conceding that you're not the only cool person in the world?
(My personal favorite because it's happened way more times than I care to admit) - You try and get in the wrong vehicle and wonder why your key doesn't work, then you realize there are no fuzzy dice hanging from the rearview mirror and think (first) that someone has stolen your fuzzy dice - the bastards! - and then you realize, 'huh, not my car', and try in the most nonchalant manner to turn around and get in your car via the passenger side.

I love it! -The bastards stole my fuzzy dice!

Yeah, it reminds me of when I used to live in a high rise apartment and accidently got off one floor too soon. All the doors are of course are identical. The good thing I got to meet my downstairs neighbor when my key wouldn't unlock her door. Good thing her boyfriend wasn't home. :redface:

Larry

I think they are concerned that the Falcon doors won't have clearance if two open side by side...

View attachment 96221
In both the conventional and minivan door case, you can't have both open at the same time either on the same side in the same scenario. With the falcon doors, they might be able to adjust to fit. However, as others put it, just avoid the scenario by not opening the doors at the same time.

The sensors in the doors would detect the other door and adjust their opening angle IF both doors happened to start opening at the same time, which is very unlikely.
I don't see an issue.

... and if the cars were parked close enough to each other that the doors would collide.
So, two Xs, arriving at the same time, parked side by side, extremely close to each other, both needing to open the rear doors at the same time to let out adult passengers who lack the mobility needed to dip their head a bit (like they'd have to do in a normal car).

The answer to the thread's question is "They'd either open fully, or, if the cars are extremely close to each other, they'd open most of the way".

Oh my, that must be a fatal flaw. All of these Model S drivers must be completely unable to open their doors or exit their vehicles at supercharger stations!

Oh, wait... no, it's exactly like a normal door, you don't open your door at the same time as someone else.

This has to be trolling.

The Model S doesn't have automatic doors. If I open my door and see the guy next to me doing the same, I wait. As long as all the fancy sensors in the Model X work when they're covered with snow, dirt and winter salt brine, we should be fine. But I was simply responding to an earlier post suggesting it would be highly unlikely to find Model X's parked next to each other.

... and if the cars were parked close enough to each other that the doors would collide.
The sensors will prevent the doors from hitting anything.
You seem to be postulating that if the Falcon Wings on X's parked next to each other and both opened exactly at the same time, both doors would be unable to open (my apologies in advance if I misunderstand your post).
Those doors take very little lateral space to open up. I wolud postulate that the door that started opening first, even if just by milliseconds, would cause the other door to pause while opening, the first door would open fully, and the second door would then open. These are ultrasonic sensors and computer processors and software operating to control the doors, not human reflexes which are incredibly slow by comparison.
That would be the likely scenario unless the two X's were parked less than a foot apart. Which is so close that no one could exit from the car at all even with conventional doors or a sliding minivan door.

The sensors will prevent the doors from hitting anything.
You seem to be postulating that if the Falcon Wings on X's parked next to each other and both opened exactly at the same time, both doors would be unable to open (my apologies in advance if I misunderstand your post).
Those doors take very little lateral space to open up. I wolud postulate that the door that started opening first, even if just by milliseconds, would cause the other door to pause while opening, the first door would open fully, and the second door would then open. These are ultrasonic sensors and computer processors and software operating to control the doors, not human reflexes which are incredibly slow by comparison.
That would be the likely scenario unless the two X's were parked less than a foot apart. Which is so close that no one could exit from the car at all even with conventional doors or a sliding minivan door.

I'm not concerned about actual collision, just about the effect of avoiding collision.