Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just also ran into 1st time with snow.
I found settings that made a lot better in snow.
Turn on chill mode and standard braking.

P85 doesn't get chill mode :)

Ouch. Probably all about the tires, but certainly a hairy moment. Which "high performance all season" tires do you have on the car?

Primacy MXM4s. I went in knowing they would suck, but they still sucked more than I expected. I'll likely sacrifice a bit of range in the summer for being able to actually drive in the snow, come next tire change.

Primacy MXM4s. I went in knowing they would suck, but they still sucked more than I expected. I'll likely sacrifice a bit of range in the summer for being able to actually drive in the snow, come next tire change.
I traded those tires in the same day I took delivery for Nokian WRG3's. Have used the same tire brand and model for over 65,000 miles. Replaced them around 50,000 miles. Year round, 4th winter with car now. It's pretty cold out and going to be taking my trip from Vancouver, Canada to Los Angeles in two weeks.

I traded those tires in the same day I took delivery for Nokian WRG3's. Have used the same tire brand and model for over 65,000 miles. Replaced them around 50,000 miles. Year round, 4th winter with car now. It's pretty cold out and going to be taking my trip from Vancouver, Canada to Los Angeles in two weeks.
What do they do to your range during the summer, and how do they hold up? I don't want to get something that will be eaten within 20,000 miles of driving on 90f days, but I would like something that gets somewhat better traction when cold. (And when warm... I haven't been impressed with the Primacys at all, but that's what was on the car when I bought it)

Do a Google search on them, they get a pretty good rating. They are all Weather. Changed my first set out at around 50k miles. Summers here are 90f+, winter's below 32f. I average around 320watt/mi entire 65k miles. Changed my driving habits this year and now at around 304watt/mile past 9 months/15k miles. Nokian WRG3 - All-Weather Tires / Nokian Tires. My range in the summer is way better than winter. Heating takes up a lot of energy. Here's some more info on them, units are in Canadian/metric but you can see the ratings for driving conditions. Nokian | WRG3 tires

Last edited:

Huh. As all season go, those actually have a decent reputation in bad weather. I have no personal experience with them, though.

I have Michelin X-ice on my RWD Tesla. There was no AWD when I bought unfortunately but I'm looking forward to it on my Model 3 and won't order until it's offered. There's just no comparison. I sometimes get stuck in my Tahoe hybrid, also with good snow tires, in the driveway at my cabin when in RWD. When I turn the dial to AWD, it moves right away. AWD is huge to me, especially for starting out on snowy/icy roads and having to go uphill. I keep a set of chains in my Tesla to get me to the top of my driveway slowly. That wouldn't be needed with AWD.

Reactions: hpjtv
Do a Google search on them, they get a pretty good rating. They are all Weather. Changed my first set out at around 50k miles. Summers here are 90f+, winter's below 32f. I average around 320watt/mi entire 65k miles. Changed my driving habits this year and now at around 304watt/mile past 9 months/15k miles. Nokian WRG3 - All-Weather Tires / Nokian Tires. My range in the summer is way better than winter. Heating takes up a lot of energy. Here's some more info on them, units are in Canadian/metric but you can see the ratings for driving conditions. Nokian | WRG3 tires

I wish I knew about those before I got a second set of rims and snow tires for my Tesla. Swapping them over twice a year is a hassle.

Being prepared is the key. I have shovels and chains during the winter months. Wish I did get the AWD model. When they first offered it, it was only $5k CAD more (worth it back then for 1s faster time and increased range). Unfortunately, having already waited 3 months for my order, I didn't want to wait 3 months more for the AWD to come out. I did however get AP1 for free as it was new and I ordered parking sensors. I have been stuck in the snow before but have gotten out just by turning off the traction control.

I wish I knew about those before I got a second set of rims and snow tires for my Tesla. Swapping them over twice a year is a hassle.
Did a lot of research before getting them. I almost did what you did. Been getting two sets for my other vehicles as well. Since using the WRG3's, I've swap all the tires on my other vehicles to them as well. Our winter's in the GVRD is fairly mild so these are a great alternative. They do work pretty good when I do need to go through the mountain passes of Oregon in the winter.

I have the Nokian WRG3's. I've only really driven them a handful of times in what I would consider lightly snowed roads. They've done great in the snow; however, on wet roads these tires have poor traction, especially around turns. You will begin to slide around turns if you even drive semi aggressively and it's raining -- it still shocks me to slide a few inches. Likewise, braking isn't too shabby, especially in wet weather. Just an fyi.

Last edited:
Reactions: hpjtv
I just also ran into 1st time with snow.
I found settings that made a lot better in snow.
Turn on chill mode and standard braking.

Yes - I wish that there was a way to activate a "snow" mode that would turn on chill and reduce regen. Or at least that these things were saved in a driver profile so I could do this myself. I tried that and it didn't work.

Does anyone know if the car will sense wheel slip due to regen and reduce it selectively by wheel like it would with acceleration? I'm going to try to find a large icy parking lot to try this out but wondered if anyone had some more information on this.

Just had my first drive in snow in my 2014 Model S 85 (had it for 5 weeks now). Brand new Michelin Primacy MXM4s (19-inch wheels). Didn't have any issues except once when trying to make a quick right turn, TC handled it just fine and the car never went out of its intended direction. But my daily commute is nearly 100 miles round-trip with a few large hills (not mountains by any stretch), not the ~20 miles I drove yesterday.

Does make me with that I hadn't cheaped out last winter and bought 18-inch Nokian R2s for my previous car (2015 Chevrolet Impala). I got the 235/50R18 (and new 18" rims) instead of 245/45R19 and a second set of 19-inch rims. Would have been able to use them (if they were 19s) again this winter, even if I had to remount the tires on the Tesla rims and switch back to the Michs in April.

I've read that 18s won't fit a Tesla at all due to the rotor/caliper size.

Whenever I've had dedicated winter tires, they've been Nokians. Never any issues with them other than faster wear when driven on dry pavement. But you get that with any soft-compound winter tire.

Does anyone know if the car will sense wheel slip due to regen and reduce it selectively by wheel like it would with acceleration? I'm going to try to find a large icy parking lot to try this out but wondered if anyone had some more information on this.

The system can't do that when decelerating. When accelerating and there's wheel spin, the system applies the brake to the spinning wheel to control it. When decelerating, there is no way to apply power to just one wheel. When traction control detects wheel lockup during regen, it temporarily reduces or disables regen.

The system can't do that when decelerating. When accelerating and there's wheel spin, the system applies the brake to the spinning wheel to control it. When decelerating, there is no way to apply power to just one wheel. When traction control detects wheel lockup during regen, it temporarily reduces or disables regen.
At least it does something when it detects wheel slip. That's good to know. Thanks!