Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A door, one that is being fixed. Not doors in general or even plural. The customer's other door apparently does not have a missing rainwater guide channel.

Don't bother. People tend to see what they look for, interpret things so as to fit their own agenda or bias. Of course logic and common sense informs us that if there was 1) a design flaw or 2) a production flaw that caused a high percentage, or all, Model Xs produced to date to have water coming from above pouring in through the door seals we would have heard copious amounts of reports already. But we have not. Which must mean that this is not very common, but nevertheless for this particular customer of course a major issue.

Surprised no-one picked up on this yet -

The White House is vetting Nevada's Republican governor for a potential Supreme Court nomination - @NBCNews

This is the same guy that stood on a stage in Carson City two years ago with Elon Musk to co-announce the world's biggest factory. (which admittedly is taking a long time to build, but it will be built).

This should surely be a good thing for Tesla Motors if the dealer monopoly issue ever escalated to SCOTUS.

The White House is vetting Nevada's Republican governor for a potential Supreme Court nomination - @NBCNews

This is the same guy that stood on a stage in Carson City two years ago with Elon Musk to co-announce the world's biggest factory. (which admittedly is taking a long time to build, but it will be built).

This should surely be a good thing for Tesla Motors if the dealer monopoly issue ever escalated to SCOTUS.

It's also the guy who is in Buffet's pocket and drove SolarCity out of the state.

And in the thread linked to in this post other owners reported they worked quite well. So this is either an issue with certain cars that can be resolved or this happens when the lift gate is open at the same time as the falcon doors.

What I find particularly hilarious is the suggestion that Tesla provide an "option" for some owners to "swap out" the doors for something more traditional like it would be easy for Tesla to provide that.

Oil demand is oversupplied and over-competed. Many oil companies will be a casualty of this and so will that sector's share prices.

Tesla demand is a market opportunity that is drastically under-supplied. The smarter the money the sooner they get this. The entire market will have to concede that this is undeniable by Q3.

My expectation is, and I think it is valid, that a critical mass of the market will get this prior to the unveiling of the Model 3 and the break from oil will be spectacular. I don't think TSLA will succumb to broad market price pressure led by OIL and it may well be regarded as a hedge against the stocks of traditional fossil-based industries.

It is simply mistaken to believe that low oil prices negatively affect the rate of Tesla demand growth. It hasn't and it doesn't. The order queue is full at all times and for months ahead.

Business operations wise it ought to be obvious that low oil prices simply reduce Tesla's import and export costs and the energy costs of its entire supply chain from the mine upwards hence reduced commodity prices of just about anything besides the 2% of lithium by weight in the battery cells and the reduced net cost of landed components - easily offset by reduced cost of sea freight from Japan, Taiwan, China and Europe to Fremont. This of course needs to be weighed in the balance with currency losses on sales of exports of the end product and a possible percentage of cancellations in the case of foreign currency price increases to address it but in regard to inputs, a strong dollar and low oil prices definitely BOTH represent welcome cost reductions.

Indeed, Martin, Republican Governor Brian Sandoval of Nevada is apparently being considered by President Obama for the Supreme Court vacancy. He was instrumental in getting the Gigafactory located in Nevada, and overturning the state’s requirement that new cars be sold through franchised dealerships.

The late Justice Scalia preferred a soft interpretation of the US Constitution’s interstate commerce clause, and may not have been helpful in any Tesla suit against a state insisting that Tesla have franchised dealerships. As you imply, Sandoval may be more attentive to Tesla’s arguments. Meanwhile, the Republican controlled US Senate may have a hard time avoiding Supreme Court nomination hearings involving a Republican governor of Mexican heritage.

Reuters Article

People really need to forget about the shorts and just worry about how Tesla the company is doing. I hope most are investing based on objective reasoning rather than some vindictive crusade. Dreaming about how to trigger the next short squeeze is short term piker mentality. SCTY had a massive short squeeze after ITC extension. Guess what, now it is trading far below where it was originally. Here's a secret(not a secret), if TSLA does what it is suppose to do, or what it says it will do, the short interest will take care of itself. If TSLA continues to miss earnings estimates by $1.00, the shorts will never go away and ride it all the way down.

Think of it this way. If every single short covered on this recent decline - no more short squeeze in the cards, would TSLA ever reach 300 and above? If the answer is no, that no longs were ever going to be willing to pay that price, then even if it got there on a short squeeze it would have been temporary. And it would have fallen back once the shorts were done covering with no one left to support the price. So what good is that unless you are a piker and sell? However, if the answer is yes, then one way or another TSLA will get there eventually. With or without shorts covering. It is simple, in the long run the stock will be priced based on the value the company produces, not based on some enduring battle between good longs vs evil shorts. Please.

One more thing about short interest that I am not sure many are aware of - it is not some bullish sign. Yes, high short interest represents volatility and a potential for sharp short term squeezes. But in the long run, for the vast majority of cases, high short interest(>20%) is indicative of either something wrong with the company or high inherent risk. Indeed shorts are a more sophisticated breed of investor than the vast majority of retail longs, which is why most of the time they are right. TSLA is not unique in its high short interest and there are a bevy of examples in recent years. GMCR, DDD, NUS, GPRO, FIT, LL, WTW, GRPN, CHK, JCP and yes, SCTY. Just a few names everyone knows out of many more where the shorts have gotten it right. Even NFLX where the shorts were wrong, it had drawdowns of 80%+ before it was all said and done.

In TSLA's case, I believe the short interest is representative of the risk inherent in the company. In fact, for its market cap, there are very few companies who are less established and more risky. I know some will take issue with that and tell you(or have been telling you) that TSLA is the safest bet out there. Those people might have also told you it will never go below 200. On the other hand, there are also very few companies of TSLA's market cap who have the potential to grow into hundreds of $billions if things go right. It is that dichotomy of risk vs reward that reflects TSLA's reality. Not purely reward or purely risk that some will lead you to believe.

And yes I have read Seeking Alpha and seen the level of discourse on that site. If you really believe they are representative of the 30 Million shares short, or $6 Billion, it would be grossly naive. The vast majority of negativity posted on internet forums about Tesla is not from shorts. It is from idiots. Shorts owning millions of shares and billions of dollars do not post on message boards. To equate their motivation and reasoning with those of idiots would be a mistake and underestimation.

Last edited:
Thx Jesse. Yeah, high short interest is definitely a good indicator of problems with a company or its valuation.

Tesla is certainly one of these companies. Valuations by traditional measures such as PE mean that Tesla is an extremely risky stock (high beta). It's next to impossible to value TSLA unless you go to 2018-2020 to get reasonable PEs.

As a high growth stock, it really comes down to whether an investor believe the long term growth story of tesla or not.

As a tesla bull and long term investor, I believe the story. However, it's easy for me to understand the short view:

- execution issues
- future competition
- oil prices

Thx Jesse. Yeah, high short interest is definitely a good indicator of problems with a company or its valuation.

Tesla is certainly one of these companies. Valuations by traditional measures such as PE mean that Tesla is an extremely risky stock (high beta). It's next to impossible to value TSLA unless you go to 2018-2020 to get reasonable PEs.

As a high growth stock, it really comes down to whether an investor believe the long term growth story of tesla or not.

As a tesla bull and long term investor, I believe the story. However, it's easy for me to understand the short view:

- execution issues
- future competition
- oil prices

Yes, there are question marks and risks, and the short interest is a result of that. As a long, I am betting on questions being answered and risks being mitigated. Not deluding myself that there were no questions or risks to begin with and the $6B is just dumb money.

I agree with all of these but do think we might see a short squeeze when break solidly above 180. Purely due to some shorts started this month and haven't covered yet. I don't think it will be too much though.

People really need to forget about the shorts and just worry about how Tesla the company is doing. I hope most are investing based on objective reasoning rather than some vindictive crusade. Dreaming about how to trigger the next short squeeze is short term piker mentality. SCTY had a massive short squeeze after ITC extension. Guess what, now it is trading far below where it was originally. Here's a secret(not a secret), if TSLA does what it is suppose to do, or what it says it will do, the short interest will take care of itself. If TSLA continues to miss earnings estimates by $1.00, the shorts will never go away and ride it all the way down.

Think of it this way. If every single short covered on this recent decline - no more short squeeze in the cards, would TSLA ever reach 300 and above? If the answer is no, that no longs were ever going to be willing to pay that price, then even if it got there on a short squeeze it would have been temporary. And it would have fallen back once the shorts were done covering with no one left to support the price. So what good is that unless you are a piker and sell? However, if the answer is yes, then one way or another TSLA will get there eventually. With or without shorts covering. It is simple, in the long run the stock will be priced based on the value the company produces, not based on some enduring battle between good longs vs evil shorts. Please.

One more thing about short interest that I am not sure many are aware of - it is not some bullish sign. Yes, high short interest represents volatility and a potential for sharp short term squeezes. But in the long run, for the vast majority of cases, high short interest(>20%) is indicative of either something wrong with the company or high inherent risk. Indeed shorts are a more sophisticated breed of investor than the vast majority of retail longs, which is why most of the time they are right. TSLA is not unique in its high short interest and there are a bevy of examples in recent years. GMCR, DDD, NUS, GPRO, FIT, GRPN, CHK, JCP and yes, SCTY. Just a few names everyone knows out of many more where the shorts have gotten it right. Even NFLX where the shorts were wrong, it had drawdowns of 80%+ before it was all said and done.

In TSLA's case, I believe the short interest is representative of the risk inherent in the company. In fact, for its market cap, there are very few companies who are less established and more risky. I know some will take issue with that and tell you(or have been telling you) that TSLA is the safest bet out there. Those people might have also told you it will never go below 200. On the other hand, there are also very few companies of TSLA's market cap who have the potential to grow into hundreds of $billions if things go right. It is that dichotomy of risk vs reward that reflects TSLA's reality. Not purely reward or purely risk that some will lead you to believe.

And yes I have read Seeking Alpha and seen the level of discourse on that site. If you really believe they are representative of the 30 Million shares short, or $6 Billion, it would be grossly naive. The vast majority of negativity posted on internet forums about Tesla is not from shorts. It is from idiots. Shorts owning millions of shares and billions of dollars do not post on message boards. To equate their motivation and reasoning with those of idiots would be a mistake and underestimation.

Short interest went up to 31,500,000 (+1,200,000) or about +4% as of Feb. 12th closing.

http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/tsla/short-interest
I knew it! It didn't decrease of course! It couldn't have considering the drop during that time period and more shorts offering shares they don't own for sale.

Consider the dollar amount here. We are talking about $250,000,000 in fresh short interest.

Last edited:
I agree with all of these but do think we might see a short squeeze when break solidly above 180. Purely due to some shorts started this month and haven't covered yet. I don't think it will be too much though.

I don't think there will be an actual squeeze until at least above 230-50. But that is besides the point. What I am trying to say is what ultimately determines where TSLA goes is not the shorts and where/when they cover. It is how the company does. That might sound so obvious that it borders dumb - but then why so much discussion and hand-wringing over short interest? It doesn't matter in the long run.

Short interest went up to 31,500,000 (+1,200,000) or about +4% as of Feb. 12th closing.

http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/tsla/short-interest

This is the highest short interest we've seen in over two years (was 31.6 million on 12/31/2013)

This piker is positioned to take advantage of the short-term Tsunami of Hurt™ Pt. III headed for the bears as the next few months should be huge for the company, with Model 3 reveal, GF grand opening and (hopefully) FCF positive Q1.

I don't think there will be an actual squeeze until at least above 230-50. But that is besides the point. What I am trying to say is what ultimately determines where TSLA goes is not the shorts and where/when they cover. It is how the company does. That might sound so obvious that it borders dumb - but then why so much discussion on short interest? It doesn't matter in the long run.
The discussion on short interest directly relates to the short term price of Tesla. When we saw Macro events, short interest increased dramatically along with share price decrease. I think the discussion on Tesla short interest is extremely relevant in that it is likely big money betting on the company failing. Since the shares haven't covered (most likely) to many that means shorts are digging in for more dramatic price decreases.

Well said. Fundamental improvement will take care of short interest when it happens.
I don't think there will be an actual squeeze until at least above 230-50. But that is besides the point. What I am trying to say is what ultimately determines where TSLA goes is not the shorts and where/when they cover. It is how the company does. That might sound so obvious that it borders dumb - but then why so much discussion on short interest? It doesn't matter in the long run.

That is twice this week you have cherry picked data to imply that the exception is the rule. This in addition to your non stop negativity. Welcome to my blocked list.

This is second time this week you annoyed me by attacking member that brings useful information to this forum.
I think you blocking Maoing is awesome solution, you don't have to read his posts, and rest of us don't have to read your attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.