Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This WSJ article (click on the first link to read it) is insinuating, although not stating it outright, that there is something fishy in the way billionaire Elon Musk "supports his business empire with unusual financial moves".

A significant quote:

"SpaceX has received $3.2 billion for its rocket program from government contracts, according to a person familiar with the matter. The lawmakers want to make sure none of that money winds up at SolarCity.

Rep. Doug Lamborn (R., Colo.) this week proposed an amendment that would prohibit Mr. Musk from using SpaceX money to buy SolarCity bonds. The provision is intended to send a message to Mr. Musk that congressional Republicans are watching him."

Gotta love the independent press and the principled politicians.

Hilarious. SpaceX can just send a message straight back. Pass whatever law you like but SpaceX is not taking a penny in Govenment contracts without a presidential waiver of that law. Feel free to pay double with ULA or book at trip with the Russians or kiss goodbye to US assured access to space. This just intended to send a message that Mr Musk is watching Congressional Republicans.

Fear not between Trump and Musk these idiots are toast.

To add to this keep in mind that this is mainly a PHEV subsidy. That has been the plan all along from ICE manufacturers, to get emissions down and electrify with PHEV and have the government to subsidy the extra drive-train. Since the government wanted the industry to bear some cost then the industry could also steer it into this direction. PHEV sales will soon gobble up the total number because the next generation of ICE platforms will all have PHEV alternatives, there would not be that much left for Tesla even if they were allowed to get it.

I think this is actually positive news for Tesla and not negative as it once again confirms the German auto industry are mainly focused on PHEV and not BEV.

Thats a very interesting point.Good for T$LA, bad though for the world. Thanks for sharing that.

The cautious points you've outlined are reasonable and prudent when situation with TE is analyzed from the general point of view, but they are really not plausible when looked at from the detailed, semi-professional angle.

Before elaborating few details on my background. I am not specializing in the area of the BES (yet) but have more than 2 decades of work experience designing and building fossil power plants (hopefully I will be still tolerated on this Forum after this revelation :)), so my views are informed by significant experience in the industry, as well as by the fact that I was tasked with developing expertise in the BES, as the company I am working for is interested in this type of work. So I do a fair amount of research, have some access to data that is not publically available and prepared several presentations on the subject for the edification of our company's professional staff.

First, on pricing. The $470/kWh is undercutting competition by 20%-30%, the originally mentioned $250/kWh is undercutting competition by 2.5 to 2.2 times (!). The above information is not based on various surveys floating around, but rather on actual project quotations. Unless Elon is capable to flood the market with TE products (and we know that he is not because of production constraints which are likely to last for decades), I do not see $250 as being realistic price - this is just a useful lower limit boundary, but I am fairly confident that actual pricing will be much closer to $470/kWh than $250/kWh. The $250/kWh --> $470/kWh move most definitely is not driven by the "need to charge a higher price", it was a strategic move.

So Tesla pricing is not driven by the set margin, but rather by the pricing of the offerings from the competitors, with even Tesla "list" pricing being lower than competitors by a significant margin. On top of the solid pricing advantage, TE product has several significant technical advantages over the competition, which is completely overlooked on this Forum, so I should really summarize them in a separate thread dedicated to the Stationary Storage.

Regarding the R&D, you have to rember that Tesla treats R&D as a tech company, not a typical automobile company. Tesla R&D expenses are paid as they happen, they are not amortized over the life cycle of the product as is typical in auto industry. So whatever was spent on TE R&D was already paid for, it is water under the bridge.

As for your disappointment with the unpleasant sight of sausage being made (iterations of TE products, etc.), it is so typical of Tesla which is moving much faster than any legacy company in the automotive or energy storage field. We are most definitely very familiar with this on the automotive side (multiple issues with MS and MX, first adopters as beta - testers, etc.), but as we are so familiar with automobile products, we generally able to se it in the greater context, which is much more difficult to do with the TE products, hence is the nagging suspicion that something fishy is going on...

To the point you made about BES being a commodity, the addressable market is so huge (this includes both auto and BES markets) and combined world's manufacturing capability so tiny as compared to TAM, that we are perhaps decades away from the point in time when there will be typical commodity driven competition on price.

And finally, to your point about grid being able to handle renewables just fine, it is just not so now, and increasingly will not be so because massive increasing amounts of renewable non-dispatchable capacity is being added to the grid every year. Situation is becoming ominous with regulators mandating adding BES capacity to the grid to improve reliability and uninterruptibility.

My apologies for going off-topic ( sort of) but I feel that the above context is very important particularly now, when Tesla is clearly making an effort to communicate TE value to the Market.

Brilliant post thanks for sharing.

Let me just throw something awesome into the mix (to help you edify or more likely horrify your colleagues).

A massive fleet of autonomous BEVs will be serving humans. Humans are still very likely to wake up in the morning and soon want to go somewhere where they will most likely want to stay until early evening.

During the mid day sun much of that fleet if it is big enough to saturate morning and evening demand can bask at Superchargers and there is nothing to stop the network alternating the remainder that did lunch duty between days.

On a massive scale this is a self balancing peak-shaving load ideal to be operated direct from solar with no need of a non-solar supply or any real grid services whatsoever.

Reactions: wayno
More chatter today from Gene Munster etc about AAPL needing new big rev stream (autos etc). Titan is many years away of course (if at all).

I still believe TSLA is too big for Apple to buy outright and a Google minority investment seems a better match. Whomever jumps first (Apple or Google), effectively blocks the other from wanting to participate.

I remain a fan of a minority investment. But I still believe a cap raise is a near certainty.

Reactions: xhawk101
Some further elaboration from Musk on the WSJ interview.

14:52 ET - Elon Musk, in an interview with the Wall Street Journal, explained why he borrowed money against his own shareholdings in Tesla and Solar City rather than take a salary. "I just believe in the future of the company. I don't really have any personal assets that I buy. I have no plans to buy a yacht or anything like that. I don't have lots of holiday homes. I don't even have a home in the Bay area, where I spend half my week." Mr. Musk has lines of credit of up to $475M collateralized against $2.38B in Tesla shares and $130M in Solar City shares. ([email protected]; @ mramseywsj)

Between this and the $200k in due bills in Norway, some truly bizarre headlines contributing to today's relative weakness in SP.

EDIT:

I would characterize the WSJ article as nothing more than a hit piece. Why else would you associate this with Michael Pearson and his VRX margin call, when the likelihood of a similar situation is close to zero given less than 5% of Musk's assets are up for collateral. Especially when these loans are public knowledge and old news.

Last edited:
This WSJ article (click on the first link to read it) is insinuating, although not stating it outright, that there is something fishy in the way billionaire Elon Musk "supports his business empire with unusual financial moves".

A significant quote:

"SpaceX has received $3.2 billion for its rocket program from government contracts, according to a person familiar with the matter. The lawmakers want to make sure none of that money winds up at SolarCity.

Rep. Doug Lamborn (R., Colo.) this week proposed an amendment that would prohibit Mr. Musk from using SpaceX money to buy SolarCity bonds. The provision is intended to send a message to Mr. Musk that congressional Republicans are watching him."

Gotta love the independent press and the principled politicians.

Love that the foxes will be watching the hen house.

I wouldn't characterize the WSJ article as anything less than a hit piece. Why else would you associate this with Michael Pearson and his VRX margin call, when the likelihood of a similar situation is close to zero given less than 5% of Musk's assets are up for collateral.
Of course it's a hit piece, it's the WSJ. They always disliked Musk and everything he stands for (as apparently do certain Republicans in congress). They dream of the day when they can write an exposé on how Musk Industries is another Theranos.

On a different note, an article in the Financial Times (unfortunately paywall only) spells it right out how the German subsidies are meant to prop up the national champions.

Quote (emphasis mine):

Mr Gabriel said the aim was to secure the future of the German car industry and ensure that the new generation of car batteries were manufactured in Germany.

“The car that will emerge in 10 to 20 years will be completely different to what we have now,” he added. “And that’s why it must be the common goal of business, unions and politicians to advance the development of these cars on Germany’s domestic market.”

Mr Gabriel denied the scheme amounted to a taxpayer subsidy to a sector that churns out billions of euros in profits.

He compared the move to the creation of Airbus, the pan-European aerospace and defence group, at a time when the global market for passenger aircraft was dominated by Boeing.

Some further elaboration from Musk on the WSJ interview.

14:52 ET - Elon Musk, in an interview with the Wall Street Journal, explained why he borrowed money against his own shareholdings in Tesla and Solar City rather than take a salary. "I just believe in the future of the company. I don't really have any personal assets that I buy. I have no plans to buy a yacht or anything like that. I don't have lots of holiday homes. I don't even have a home in the Bay area, where I spend half my week." Mr. Musk has lines of credit of up to $475M collateralized against $2.38B in Tesla shares and $130M in Solar City shares. ([email protected]; @ mramseywsj)

Between this and the $200k in due bills in Norway, some truly bizarre headlines contributing to today's relative weakness in SP.

EDIT:

I would characterize the WSJ article as nothing more than a hit piece. Why else would you associate this with Michael Pearson and his VRX margin call, when the likelihood of a similar situation is close to zero given less than 5% of Musk's assets are up for collateral. Especially when these loans are public knowledge and old news.

It's definitely a hit piece. WSJ has been anti Tesla since way back. I'm not sure how closely you followed Tesla in 2012/early 2013 but if you have 10 minutes do a Google search for the name John Broder and the verb brodering.

Added random thought: of course Musk has no home in or around Fremont. Last I heard is that the days of the week devoted to Tesla he lives in the factory, at the place of Model X quality control to be precise. (I'm not kidding - @maoing gave this info, having read it talked about on a Chinese Tesla forum, apparently this was said by someone from Tesla during the intro of the Model X in Beijing.)

Last edited:
For macro direction the GOOGL and MSFT miss gave me a lot more concern at the time than today's AAPL miss, which seems to be more of an isolated story.

Like GOOGL/MSFT before, I put more weight on FB(beat), PYPL(beat) now, and AMZN, BIDU, some bios (AMGN, CELG, GILD) tomorrow.

137rzk.jpg

Another Tesla MS in a crash with a fire:
Flaming Crash Between A Tesla And A Mercedes In Luxembourg - Gas 2

Guess which car caught fire:p?:
A sharp turn on a wet two lane road in Luxembourg led to a crash between a Tesla Model S and a Mercedes GLA 250 on Monday. Both cars were heavily damaged. After the collision, the Mercedes burst into flames. No further details are available online, but the fact that the driver’s door of the Mercedes was open afterwards suggests the driver was able to exit the vehicle before it caught on fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.