Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe so many people still short the stock after what this company has proven so far.

This very stock is a teachable moment for children - never give up in the face of naysayers. Never let someone tell you how it's going to be. Focus on what it is you are doing and success will be yours.

Model X will work itself out and the 3 is going to dominate. Everything else is poppycock.

The last time was 7/2/15 at 280. It was the time before that in the 100s that they got wrong. Overall they have a very good track record and now with VRX the market is giving them more and more credibility. Of course this does not mean they are right about TSLA, past performance is no guarantee of future results and such. I wouldn't simply brush them aside either though, obviously do your own DD but I'd be open to hearing what they have to say coming up.

Citron's first foray in 2013 was predicated on relative fundamentals with GM. Absolute fail - lost their shirts.

Their second was coincidental with Musk calling his own stock down. They got lucky at best.

The latest is predicated on the idea of Tesla having supply and demand constraints. Factually false. They will lose their shirts again.

Citron had a fabulous 2015 indeed, shorting TSLA around 280, VRX around 200 and MBLY around 50. People gotta give credits to these. That being said, with short interest this high recently, I doubt they could initiated a new short position on TSLA for the tweet yesterday. More likely to use media to lower the price temporarily to cover at a lower price.

Very possible. I'd like to hear them elaborate on their tweet. Supply problems from model x - sure, but old news. Demand problems? Show me some numbers. Bad news flow? What news?

Although at the end of the day, their thesis does not necessarily have to be correct for them to be right on the trade. It is possible that they can simply prey on vulnerable stocks with high multiples/broken technicals and still be profitable even if their reasoning is wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Their second was coincidental with Musk calling his own stock down.

No, it wasn't.

Although at the end of the day, their thesis does not necessarily have to be correct for them to be right on the trade. It is possible that they can simply prey on vulnerable stocks with high multiples and still be profitable even if their reasoning is wrong.

This I would agree with. However Citron is not reporting bad news. Citron in this instance is the bad news. Sure they can pick off a few points before they are debunked or ignored. Nothing more.

- - - Updated - - -

Elon said that on 10/25/13 when TSLA was at 170.

The last Citron short on TSLA was 7/2/15 at 280.

Julian is incorrect.

My recollection, which may be faulty, as may yours be, is that Musk was going on about TSLA overheating at $289.

My recollection, which may be faulty, as may yours be, is that Musk was going on about TSLA overheating at $289.

He said the stock was "kind of high" on 9/6/14 when it was around 280. Again, the last Citron short was 7/2/15.

- - - Updated - - -

Andrew's justification just now on CNBC was pretty pathetic.

It basically comes down to news flow is now bearish - aka sentiment is negative. Which is kind of what I was saying before - they are trying to prey on vulnerable stocks with broken technicals, negative sentiment etc. It can still work - mind you, but nothing ground breaking.

Elon said that on 10/25/13 when TSLA was at 170.

The last Citron short on TSLA was 7/2/15 at 280.

Julian is incorrect.

I love how everybody is freaking over a tweet. Let's take a breather. If Citron is claiming Tesla as a whole is having Supply AND demand issues... that's a contradiction in itself. It wouldn't be supply constrained if demand was an issue. Unless he's implying the everything is shifting as a whole which is not the case. It's fine that they shorted at $280, good for them, I care more about logic and throwing people off on near baseless comments.

He said the stock was "kind of high" on 9/6/14 when it was around 280. Again, the last Citron short was 7/2/15.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, last short was at just over $200. I guess you could call that a good call since the stock has been to $150 briefly since then. But it has also been to $280, and he they can hardly claim to have foreseen this drop for the right reasons. If they did, shorting USO would have been a much much better play.

- - - Updated - - -

It basically comes down to news flow is now bearish - aka sentiment is negative. Which is kind of what I was saying before - they are trying to prey on vulnerable stocks with broken technicals, negative sentiment etc. It can still work - mind you, but nothing ground breaking.
Let's call a spade a spade. Andrew wants the stock down because he wants to cover lower? Also did Citron recommend shorting at 280 or are they just saying that is when they entered.

Julian and Jesse are both correct. There were a few occasions that Elon commented the stock price. The last time Elon commented was when TSLA was around $280. Basically he said short term might go lower, but it would appreciate significantly in the long term.

Julian and Jesse are both correct. There were a few occasions that Elon commented the stock price. The last time Elon commented was when TSLA was around $280. Basically he said short term might go lower, but it would appreciate significantly in the long term.

Elon did make comments when TSLA was at 280. Citron did issue a short when TSLA was at 280. But they were a year apart and had nothing to do with eachother.

Julian is correct that the bad news is that Citron is short, not the reasons they are short. They could still be right about it going down, but their reasoning was not convincing.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, last short was at just over $200. I guess you could call that a good call since the stock has been to $150 briefly since then. But it has also been to $280, and he they can hardly claim to have foreseen this drop for the right reasons. If they did, shorting USO would have been a much much better play.

Again, their last short was 7/2/15 when the stock closed at 280. That was a great trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.