Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a method dealing with TSLA stock. My long term view is that all transportation will become electric. Tesla will be the leader and take at least 10% market share. The stock is quite undervalued based on this view. On the other hand, TSLA is very volatile as a high growth tech company. So I made a clear separation between my long term investment and trading. I trade 10 stocks and save the trading profit. When there are good entry points, I move the trading profit into TSLA and a few other long term positions. All the shorts can do is creating noise and maybe some good entry points for us.

I love how everybody is freaking over a tweet. Let's take a breather. If Citron is claiming Tesla as a whole is having Supply AND demand issues... that's a contradiction in itself. It wouldn't be supply constrained if demand was an issue. Unless he's implying the everything is shifting as a whole which is not the case. It's fine that they shorted at $280, good for them, I care more about logic and throwing people off on near baseless comments.

Yep, I soon as this was mentioned I knew this Andrew Left guy has no real basis for his short.

Andrew Left's short thesis against TSLA on CNBC just now was completely empty.

Sounds like most short thesis' out there, completely baseless. Seems like it may be a good time for all of us here to short Citron. Haha.

California rebate stats for Tesla till Feb 26th.
rebate_stats_feb26th.JPG

He said if you go on CNBC.com the articles on TSLA aren't all bullish anymore - that's why he's short. He's trying to make the point that sentiment and momentum is broken - which is fine. But had no answers for the fundamental claims he made.
One thing I found interesting is that when questioning went a bit longer on Valeant, he said "I didn't want to talk about Valeant today", which implies he only wanted to talk about Tesla to broadcast his case.

The interview is now on yahoo finance.

Left is saying no way tesla should be following oil up. LOL-didn't Tesla follow oil down?

Also, he said it's a good time to "re-enter" at 195 area. So he is claiming he just got short again.

LOL he said the basis for growth is too low.

Last edited:
This guy is making a bunch of assumptions based on nothing as far as I can tell. Kind of infuriating to listen to.

Extremely infuriating, when you go your heart out 'against' a company with a legitimate & world changing purpose. A company that's growing & executing in tough environment, building great products. It seems morally wrong, when there's so much at stake. Unfortunately, he seems to have a following. He totally beat down - GoPro, Ambarella, Valeant & MobileEye.

Extremely infuriating, when you go your heart out 'against' a company with a legitimate & world changing purpose. A company that's growing & executing in tough environment, building great products. It seems morally wrong, when there's so much at stake. Unfortunately, he seems to have a following. He totally beat down - GoPro, Ambarella, Valeant & MobileEye.

Left is a very deep thinker, just bought some Valeant for a quick trade

OK just watched Andrew Left's interview. Not impressed at all. He did say Citron re-initiated their short position at 185-190 level. I wonder how big it is given such a short period of time and such high short interest already there.

Well, he's not making any money on his short yet, even after engaging social media, spurring countless articles and traditional media coverage. Pretty odd timing too - M3 reveal is very close and should be a positive catalyst. I hope Elon reserves a special helping of hurt for this individual and drops some bombs in and around the reveal.

So he's short because the news cycle is neutral.... So the news cycle will become negative because he's short? Complete positive (negative) feedback loop hogwash. Thanks for linking.

Only thing I see that he's got a point about is more competition:

Daimler to follow Tesla with new €500 million lithium-ion battery factory: pv-magazine

Which ultimately was Elon's goal, to speed adoption of EVs.

You need batteries for PHEV, too which is what almost all of the big auto manufacturers are going for until 2020. PHEV is not really competing with Model 3 sales.
It is a stepping stone for BEV though, so in that sense the competition is increasing. PHEV does not have the problem with capital allocation. They can still operate the same way with respect to drivetrain factories, the dealer network and manage everything more or less the same way.

Last edited:
I can understand someone starting a short position now if we are in the current macro AND TSLA near 300. But at 180+, I have no idea why now.

Well, he's not making any money on his short yet, even after engaging social media, spurring countless articles and traditional media coverage. Pretty odd timing too - M3 reveal is very close and should be a positive catalyst. I hope Elon reserves a special helping of hurt for this individual and drops some bombs in and around the reveal.

I can understand someone starting a short position now if we are in the current macro AND TSLA near 300. But at 180+, I have no idea why now.

With the issues Tesla is having with the X, I can TOTALLY understand it. I sometimes wonder if the posters on this short-term thread ever peruse the other threads on TMC to get an idea of what is going on with the actual company - NOT JUST THE STOCK. Most people on here didn't even know the supercharger build-out was coming to a grinding halt back in January. I pointed out that no new superchargers had been started all year, and most on here said, "well, they just opened one last week" - showing a total unfamiliarity with the supercharger build-out process. How do you invest hard-earned money in a company and not watch EVERY phase of their growth?

Now, I constantly keep an eye on EVERY post about the Model X, and while the reviews are ok for the car itself, NOBODY is getting their car! They are trickling out of the factory. As it looks now, there have been maybe 1000-1200 X's delivered - IN FIVE MONTHS! And some people were told their car is in production, and they can't even get a reply from Tesla after 2 months to tell them what is going on with their car.

Something is seriously wrong with the ramp of the X - and if you didn't know that, you're in the dark.

EDIT: Also wanted to add that MANY people are reporting that the cars at the "Meet the Model X" events are having problems. Some report FaWD that won't work correctly, or seats that have issues, or other things. It's all right in the Model X category. If Tesla can't get the cars right that they are using to sell with, how will they get the ones right that they are delivering to customers. And people are NOT impressed with the cargo space given the 2nd row seats won't fold down. Not only is the car "ok" in its reviews, it's got a TON of problems. There are videos on youtube of rain pouring in the car with the FaWD's up. As I stated before, I'm afraid the X may be the car the ruins Tesla. There was no room for error, and that erred BIG TIME with this car.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.