Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
eve
Demetri, congrats on the Model X vin! Would you be so kind as to refresh us on how you judge the timetable between assignment of VIN and delivery date?

Founder series has started delivery, according to posts/pics. Supposedly as many as 40 founders. Bonnie I believe has said her car is in BIW. She is one of the first sigs so she should get her car very soon! I believe it's a week or two from vin to finished car. I'm in Connecticut so a week or two to deliver, so I expect it sometime in December. That's assuming there are no shortages of parts and they are not going through the final assembly with a fine tooth comb.
Production should increase dramatically as Elon has said.
Also a friend in cali just got his vin in the 800's. We are making progress!

Such an obvious buying opportunity folks... You can never time the bottom perfectly, but on technicals alone you can say this is near the bottom of it's multiyear channel. Q3/4 '15 has a perfect storm of negative sentiments, and Q1/2 of '16 will have a perfect storm of positive ones.

I'd second that. Even if 2016 is an average year, with neutral sentiment we exit the year near $380. Buying ops don't get much better than this.

As a rule, real buying ops always feel like a really lousy time to buy because sentiment is so negative. But it's just sentiment, and sentiment never lasts.

On topic: Tesla is doomed. SELL! SELL! SELL!

Sentiment is definitely quite negative on the short-term oriented threads here, and there is plenty of doubt (myself included) about the Model X ramp.

However, my general sense is that Tesla's "secret plan" is still on track. Model S continues to sell well. Gigafactory construction is proceeding. We know from JB Straubel that Model 3 has been in development for some time already.

I remind myself that in the digital age, people are used to fast results yesterday. In a time where Apple can launch a new iPhone every year and have tens of millions of units ready for launch in multiple countries within weeks of the reveal, the rollout and ramp of Tesla products is painfully slow in comparison.

When people are doubtful and the stock price is down from the highs, that's exactly the time to buy.

That's what I did from late 2008 to early 2009: pick up a ton of shares on the cheap when the market was crashing and my co-workers were telling me I was insane. I bought all the way to the rock bottom and made out like a bandit on the way back up.

I'd second that. Even if 2016 is an average year, with neutral sentiment we exit the year near $380. Buying ops don't get much better than this.

As a rule, real buying ops always feel like a really lousy time to buy because sentiment is so negative. But it's just sentiment, and sentiment never lasts.

Sentiment is definitely quite negative on the short-term oriented threads here, and there is plenty of doubt (myself included) about the Model X ramp.

However, my general sense is that Tesla's "secret plan" is still on track. Model S continues to sell well. Gigafactory construction is proceeding. We know from JB Straubel that Model 3 has been in development for some time already.

I remind myself that in the digital age, people are used to fast results yesterday. In a time where Apple can launch a new iPhone every year and have tens of millions of units ready for launch in multiple countries within weeks of the reveal, the rollout and ramp of Tesla products is painfully slow in comparison.

When people are doubtful and the stock price is down from the highs, that's exactly the time to buy.

That's what I did from late 2008 to early 2009: pick up a ton of shares on the cheap when the market was crashing and my co-workers were telling me I was insane. I bought all the way to the rock bottom and made out like a bandit on the way back up.

I agree with both of you long time TMC investor forum members!:wink: Maybe I am trying to catch the bottom so I am waiting for Q3ER/CC before committing more funds. I admit I may miss the bottom and kick myself but I look at the risk/reward and come up with more risks than rewards in the short term ( a couple weeks/months).

If you plan on buying and holding then this is not a bad place to buy. As I have mentioned before I am more of a 'hybrid' investor where I hold some stock as my 'core' then trade some in/out of stock and in/out of LEAPS with even small in/out plays on short term options. I do not recommend my 'style' for anyone else.

When we make our investment decisions we get to rejoice our own victories (hopefully large) and 'own' our bad choices/deployments (hopefully small) :wink:

Screen Shot 2015-10-28 at 6.44.44 PM.png

2015 Tesla Model S P90D w/Ludicrous Upgrade First Test

I am cautious, like techmaven. If that means you, and other are TSLA buyers before the ER and I miss out by waiting a little bit...I tip my hat to you.:wink:

I have no idea how TSLA will react to the ER. A singular ER is meaningless in the big picture. The question is: is TSLA on its way to achieving its long term goal of 500k model 3s? If that story has not changed, then every dip should be bought going forward, just like buying every dip has worked thus far. And since this is a short term trading thread, we are currently within one of those dips. So if the stock drops on the ER because of a few months delay in model x ramp, I would simply buy more since that does nothing to change the big picture. Overreacting and overtrading short term gyrations is how you lose track of the big picture. As long as you are not committing more money than you can afford to lose, just sit back and relax.

On the other hand, if TSLA is no longer on a path to 500k model 3s, no dip should be bought. And in fact I would be looking to short the stock.

So once you answer yourself those questions, the trade is then quite simple without all the stress.

The wait on the way down before it reached bottom (and 3 months after) is one of the more nerve wrecking experience in my life. For me, it was my second time, but my first time fully in charge of the decision. I can only imagine how much pressure a first timer might have felt.

It also, fundamentally jaded me as a person, with everyone belittling and making fun of my decision while I never get a chance to trash talk back to them after I was proven right. It showed me the true nature of us with regards to investments with the general populace. It only matters if you are correct right then and there to make people feel good. It doesn't matter if you will be correct down the line.

Can't they just 3D print a couple thousand Model X every day?

I like driving with autopilot a lot, but sometimes the car is not sure exactly where the lines are. As it's perception of the road shifts, autosteering can become a bit erratic. But my natural eyes are able to perceive the road out a much greater distance, so I put my hands on the wheel to stabilize the course. I hope in time the fleet learning will map this all out, but for now my eye and hand steady the wheel.

The market is constantly shifting its perceptions of where the lane is. Keep your eye on the road and hand on the wheel.

This is excellent news. Because according to the order page the posted 2.8 second time is supposed to include the same one foot rollout that motor trend uses... So yet again they are low balling their number. It just is depressing that it seems the P85D was never truly able to hit the numbers without the rollout.

In other news there is a video floating around now of a Seattle driver filming on a dash cam the car while in autopilot avoiding a head on collision! Not sure how much news this will stir up, but it will be nice seeing the media talk about the safety added of autopilot over their complaints about how it is going to kill someone (which hasn't happened... Yet... Thankfully)

I have no idea how TSLA will react to the ER. A singular ER is meaningless in the big picture. The question is: is TSLA on its way to achieving its long term goal of 500k model 3s?

So what exactly are you looking for (other than Elon's own words) in the ER that will answer the question one way or the other? Even Adam Jonas doesn't believe in the 500k cars in 2020, let alone Model 3s. His estimate is 300k cars, or may be less. And Model X is not a step in that direction either. Elon himself has said so. Model X is more of a deviation.
And even if it is 500k cars in 2020, going by the Price/Sales of other car makers like GM (P/S is 0.36), the then valuation will only be around $6.3 billion ($35k * 500k total sales).

So, I'm curious, what signs you are looking for in this ER to prove or disprove your thesis. What is your valuation target and share count estimate for 2020 when Tesla will be selling 500k cars a year?

So what exactly are you looking for (other than Elon's own words) in the ER that will answer the question one way or the other? Even Adam Jonas doesn't believe in the 500k cars in 2020, let alone Model 3s. His estimate is 300k cars, or may be less. And Model X is not a step in that direction either. Elon himself has said so. Model X is more of a deviation.

I don't mean to speak for OP but I know I'll be looking for re-affirmation of 2015 guidance, some color on Model X ramp, color on Tesla Energy and perhaps some tentative 2016 guidance. Proof of execution on growth and scale is by far the most important thing right now.

And even if it is 500k cars in 2020, going by the Price/Sales of other car makers like GM (P/S is 0.36), the then valuation will only be around $6.3 billion ($35k * 500k total sales).

This is truly an absurd comparison. You're comparing P/S of a company with -2% YOY sales growth to one with 50% growth, higher margins and all sorts of ancillary businesses. Storage revenue could very well match automotive revenue by that point. Metrics like P/S only make sense when comparing similar companies at similar stages of growth.

Not to mention ASP of 35K is incredibly lowball.

Last edited:

So, I'm curious, what signs you are looking for in this ER to prove or disprove your thesis. What is your valuation target and share count estimate for 2020 when Tesla will be selling 500k cars a year?

The answer to your question probably belongs in the long term fundamentals thread, but since I would only suggest buying on all dips(including the present one) if you believe in the the long term thesis, I'll deviate and answer it here.

First off, you are right, I meant 500k cars, not model 3s. Although I did not specify 2020. Whether it happens in 2020 or a year or two off does not change the long term thesis, it merely delays it. So if we are pushed back due to model 3 issues, I would expect a similar delay in share appreciation as the current trading range we have been stuck in the past 1.5 years, accompanied by the same kind of buying opportunities presented now.

Second, Tesla will NEVER have a P/S comparable to traditional car makers. It will either have a P/S of 0 because it has failed, or a P/S that far exceeds traditional auto makers if it succeeds. This is because, if successful, Tesla's net profit margin will far exceed any traditional OEM.

So, just some simply back of the napkin math:

Current gross margins on ~50k production = 24%-28% depending on currency fluctuation

Versus comparable luxury brands mercedes/bmw gross margin on ~2M production = 20%

1. So currently Tesla has higher gross margins than luxury OEMs producing FORTY TIMES more cars. So what will be the impact of economies of scale as Tesla increases production 100% from here? 1000% from here?

2. The Gigafactory should reduce battery costs by 20-30%, further increasing margin.

All together, I expect Tesla gross margins to be ~35% by the time it is producing 500k cars, very conservatively.

Also, when it comes to net margin, Tesla's current SG&A+R&D expenses are ~40% of revenues. This is due to extraordinary high R&D costs as it develops its first vehicles, and also the expansion of its service network. By 500k cars, Tesla's product offering will have matured, allowing R&D to come down, as well as SG&A coming down after its infrastructure matures. I expect the aggregate of both these costs to come down to roughly 10% of revenues, which is the industry standard.

So at 500k cars, with a mix of 150k S/X and 350k model 3, $90k for S/X, $40k for model 3, we are looking at $27.5B in revenues.
35% gross margin = $9.6B gross profit
SG&A+R&D of 10%($2.75B) = $6.85B net profit

As for P/E, with only 500k cars produced a year, Tesla would still have plenty of room to grow into the millions maintaining a 50% growth rate. Assigning a 30 or even 40 P/E would not be out of the ordinary. But even at 20 P/E that is $137B valuation. You can discount that to present day for what price you want to consider expensive/cheap.

As far as what I am looking for in this particular ER to disprove my thesis, to be honest, almost nothing in THIS particular ER would disprove everything I just laid out. Like I said before, it is just one data point. Model X ramp is late a few more weeks or early a few weeks, pops the stock 10% or drops the stock 10%, honestly, doesn't matter. It would take multiple data points to prove to me if Tesla is no longer on the path to all of the above. And if that happens, certainly I wouldn't be able to sell at the current share price of $200s. Maybe it will be $150, or even $100. But that is what I am willing to risk if I am wrong.

Last edited:

So every car they sell will be the base model, as you use the 35000 figure. No D models no options on a single car? AND you assume they totally stop any sales of luxury cars like model X and S. What about the new roadsters? What about CPO programs or even repairs on cars out of warrantee. Oh did you forget tesla energy? I believe your estimate a tad off

Status
Not open for further replies.