Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Now Motortrend is prostituting itself with Tesla. That article could not have been more positive. Can someone please explain to me why Ferrari's market cap is nearly 10 billion? The writing is not on the wall. The reality is already here. The only logical reason to buy a Ferrari is if you intend to track it. Beyond that, there is no reason to buy one, that I can think of. Obviously people will still buy them because nothing says you've "arrived" like a Ferrari. But they will spend most of their lives in a garage because they are so impractical for daily driving.

You have to wonder when the light-bulb will come on.

When might folks figure out investing in a safer car for their families, themselves, our future of energy independence, and convenience of use will outweigh granite counter-tops, crown moldings, a boat, or that bonus room. I'm so over people saying the Model S and X are too expensive and solar panels don't pay for themselves. The average cost of a new car in the US is $33k this year. So anyone could buy a new Model S with AutoPilot for twice that price after the tax credit. Forget about the gas savings and myriad of additional benefits, just look at the safety. So it would cost $6,500 each year in additional loan payments to own the Tesla over the average new car.

What is the value of your life? I guess for many it's less than $6,500 a year if you are single. If you have a family of 4 total it must be $1,525 each, per year, or $4.00 a day.

Check out this Mortality Table and see what your risks are when driving. One out of every 470 people will die in a car accident during their lives.

Mortality Risk | III

I'm enjoying this consolidation in the $210 region. We've managed to stay above this area after multiple downward moves. I believe this is a great value opportunity for those looking for Tesla to become cash flow positive in the next quarter or two. Model X reviews and Model 3 news will keep the stock from going much lower. Demand shouldn't be an issue.

You have to wonder when the light-bulb will come on.

When might folks figure out investing in a safer car for their families, themselves, our future of energy independence, and convenience of use will outweigh granite counter-tops, crown moldings, a boat, or that bonus room. I'm so over people saying the Model S and X are too expensive and solar panels don't pay for themselves. The average cost of a new car in the US is $33k this year. So anyone could buy a new Model S with AutoPilot for twice that price after the tax credit. Forget about the gas savings and myriad of additional benefits, just look at the safety. So it would cost $6,500 each year in additional loan payments to own the Tesla over the average new car.

What is the value of your life? I guess for many it's less than $6,500 a year if you are single. If you have a family of 4 total it must be $1,525 each, per year, or $4.00 a day.

Check out this Mortality Table and see what your risks are when driving. One out of every 470 people will die in a car accident during their lives.

Mortality Risk | III

Within the last year I bumped up from a 1996 Geo Prizm to leasing a Leaf, and now you're suggesting I get a model S? ;-) I have a family of 4, so you just made a really excellent point. However, I'm going to wait for the model 3 most likely.

Wall Street has given TSLA enough time to rally. The bulls can't get it to move. Today we break $210.00 and head for $200.00.

- - - Updated - - -

Enjoy!

You've gone very quickly from being what some here would call a TSLA 'cheerleader' to being almost gleeful at its recent decline. All you seem to post is schadenfreude-filled gloating, very little valuable input. Unsavoury.

Wall Street has given TSLA enough time to rally. The bulls can't get it to move. Today we break $210.00 and head for $200.00.

- - - Updated - - -

Enjoy!

I'm not so sure about that. 210 seems to be a pretty good support over the past few weeks, even though there have been some things that I would have though to drag it down further. I would have thought if it was going down below 210 it would have done so at the CR sentiments, or the small FED update yesterday. I think there is enough buying pressure at this point to keep it where it is until after the ER. After that things could go either way.

You have to wonder when the light-bulb will come on. When might folks figure out investing in a safer car for their families, themselves, our future of energy independence, and convenience of use will outweigh granite counter-tops, crown moldings, a boat, or that bonus room. I'm so over people saying the Model S and X are too expensive and solar panels don't pay for themselves. The average cost of a new car in the US is $33k this year. So anyone could buy a new Model S with AutoPilot for twice that price after the tax credit. Forget about the gas savings and myriad of additional benefits, just look at the safety. So it would cost $6,500 each year in additional loan payments to own the Tesla over the average new car. What is the value of your life? I guess for many it's less than $6,500 a year if you are single. If you have a family of 4 total it must be $1,525 each, per year, or $4.00 a day. Check out this Mortality Table and see what your risks are when driving. One out of every 470 people will die in a car accident during their lives. Mortality Risk | III
I hope you realize that argument makes absolutely no sense. Saying a person values their lives at "$6500/year" is not the same as paying "$6500/year more" for a car. That logic only holds iff car accidents are the only cause of human death.. You said it yourself, there is less than 0.2% chance of a person dying b/c of a car crash in their lives! That means that people should only spend $6500/year on preventing car deaths if they value their lives at $3.25million/year (assuming uniform distribution of probability of car deaths throughout a person's life, which obviously isn't true but makes math easy).I must say I'm seeing the bull case for TSLA get stupider and stupider as the years go on, and the bear case get stronger... This should have been the opposite! But I guess that when the bull case was air tight, and the bear case was full of hot air ~2 years ago, they only had one direction to go.

I hope you realize that argument makes absolutely no sense. Saying a person values their lives at "$6500/year" is not the same as paying "$6500/year more" for a car. That logic only holds iff car accidents are the only cause of human death.. You said it yourself, there is less than 0.2% chance of a person dying b/c of a car crash in their lives! That means that people should only spend $6500/year on preventing car deaths if they value their lives at $3.25million/year (assuming uniform distribution of probability of car deaths throughout a person's life, which obviously isn't true but makes math easy).I must say I'm seeing the bull case for TSLA get stupider and stupider as the years go on, and the bear case get stronger... This should have been the opposite! But I guess that when the bull case was air tight, and the bear case was full of hot air ~2 years ago, they only had one direction to go.

According to most of the investment articles I'm reading, and several posters here on TMC, now is excellent time to get short the stock. If you believe the bull case continues to get "stupider", now might be a great time to put your money where your mouth is...assuming you haven't already. As always, trade based on your own analysis...

Those that are experienced in the so-called language of "charting" - I've generated this from my TD account. Is there any real interpretation here? I'm reading about it and articles could allude this to a "raising wedge", which seems like a bearish sign. Anyone else interpreting this any other way?

wedge.png

Yes, the 30,000 - 40,000 fatal crashes do not get you there by any means. But in fairness, you have to add some portion of the medical costs, pain and suffering (both transitory and permanent), and hassle for the 1.6 million non-fatal car-related injuries a year. And you have to add some portion of the insurance costs and hassle for the 5.6 million accidents a year overall.

Will Any New Startup Actually Change the World? - The Atlantic

“It’s a little tough to call Tesla Energy, the new battery-tech subsidiary of Tesla, a startup, but that's the most interesting company on the landscape today. It will directly change the way that we store and distribute power,” said Mike Olsen, the founder and chief strategy officer of Cloudera.

He added: “More importantly, the technology it’s creating and the economies of scale that it will enable are going to create an ecosystem—and an entire new market—that allows other innovators to create products, start companies and add value of their own to the green power revolution.”

Ask yourself two basic questions, Do you know anyone personal to you that died or was seriously injured in a car accident?

Do you think they would trade the toys in their lives to have avoided that experience in retrospect? Presuming they are still around to even answer that question.

Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) Model X Quietly Shipped Once More

Model X still hasn’t reached normal people

It’s arguable whether you can lump those willing to pay more than $100,000 for a brand new EV, and willing to wait more than two years to get it, “normal.”

The article is quite balanced, I particularly agree with

In the long term, however, the slow roll out of the Model X will be forgotten just as long as Tesla Motors can meet its other targets. What the Model X says about those targets is another thing. Elon Musk has freely admitted making quite a few mistakes with the design of the Model X. The car is great, but it’s just too difficult to build.
Hopefully Musk proves himself wrong and they can and maybe are already ramping up production of the X.

Those that are experienced in the so-called language of "charting" - I've generated this from my TD account. Is there any real interpretation here? I'm reading about it and articles could allude this to a "raising wedge", which seems like a bearish sign. Anyone else interpreting this any other way?

View attachment 99497
The wedge itself isn't a bearish indication. It depends on where we break out. If we break out on the top, then that's awesome, but if we break down, then we would have a hard time reclaiming the mid-high $200s and could even see $150. With earnings this close, and being super risky, being at the bottom of a wedge isn't a good thing. We are pretty technically broken, and if we gap down on Wednesday, it will undoubtly be well below the support line of the wedge.. That's not good.

Also note, that's not a "wedge", it's closer to an ascending triangle (bullish sign if we were closer to the top of it than the bottom)

The wedge itself isn't a bearish indication. It depends on where we break out. If we break out on the top, then that's awesome, but if we break down, then we would have a hard time reclaiming the mid-high $200s and could even see $150. With earnings this close, and being super risky, being at the bottom of a wedge isn't a good thing. We are pretty technically broken, and if we gap down on Wednesday, it will undoubtly be well below the support line of the wedge.. That's not good.

Also note, that's not a "wedge", it's closer to an ascending triangle (bullish sign if we were closer to the top of it than the bottom)

Got it - very informative. Thank you!

Anyone notice an influx of Tesla bears on the reddit group recently?

Yep, its exhausting. The fact is, we used to enjoy writing up the bull case and discussing it but we stopped because... we were done. The bull case is great, and unchanged. Bears have entered and are having fun talking about the bear case. We don't have the influx of young bulls who think its fun to write 3 page dissertations on why Tesla is poised for success to balance it out. If I wasn't as busy as I am, I would refute some of this. I wrote thousands of words on the topic in 2013... many of us did. Bull discussion fatigue is setting in, but that isn't the same as being bearish.

Buy dips and don't panic.

In 2 years the bears will be gone and new ones will be here snarking about how $450/share is way too high and they are short.

Status
Not open for further replies.