Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do the underwriters have to hold onto the stock for any period of time before selling? Morgan Stanley is an underwriter, right? So, did they just pump this up so they could make a few million bucks and sell soon?

Since they came out with this crazy target price, couldn't they revoke it after they sold, and cite some ridiculous thing like "we don't see a lot of X's on the road, so never mind!"

Do the underwriters have to hold onto the stock for any period of time before selling? Morgan Stanley is an underwriter, right? So, did they just pump this up so they could make a few million bucks and sell soon?

Since they came out with this crazy target price, couldn't they revoke it after they sold, and cite some ridiculous thing like "we don't see a lot of X's on the road, so never mind!"

Wow guys the conspiracy theories are nuts. Doesn't work like that. They sold to their clients and it's separate from the analysis. If what you were saying was true, we'd see $465 now. There's no holding period it's just extra stock. There is a green shoe option to purchase more so it's up to the syndicate to do their best effort to sell all and if it goes well they will buy more and exercise their option.

That was me! My first ever option trade and long time lurker on this thread. Thanks to the wonderful folks on this thread sharing their thoughts (both bull and bear arguments), I was able to form my own personal opinion and thought that the secondary offering represented an opportunity to pull my virginal option trigger finger (sorry for the unintended visual).

oh stock market, you entertain me. Congrats to those that jumped on some shares/options in the 230's. I wasn't able to this time, my available cash is ear marked for something else and I was only going to tap it if things got real crazy.

Sorry, was replying to sub.

That was me! My first ever option trade and long time lurker on this thread. Thanks to the wonderful folks on this thread sharing their thoughts (both bull and bear arguments), I was able to form my own personal opinion and thought that the secondary offering represented an opportunity to pull my virginal option trigger finger (sorry for the unintended visual).

Good for you, welcome to TMC forum BTW!

So I have a question, at what price could a short squeeze be triggered? or is that even likely to occur? Just asking! :smile:

Doesn't depend on price only. Enough people must enter dumb short positions. Today around 25% of shares are sold short. Tesla Motors Short Interest (TSLA)

Also, volume is a factor and it must be as low as possible compared to the shares held short (the relative indicator is days to cover which is historically pretty high at the moment)

The chances that a short squeeze happens today are pretty low. Especially considering that it is possible that a lot of short positions have been entered at higher prices than what we have now and are therefore money makers at the moment.

A major stock surge based on solid news and performance would be needed to squeeze the shorts out.

How far would it have to drop to force you to unwind your long positions?

interesting question, break even for core is $181.00.:wink:So if price went there I would add a ton more! :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't depend on price only. Enough people must enter dumb short positions. Today around 25% of shares are sold short. Tesla Motors Short Interest (TSLA)

Also, volume is a factor and it must be as low as possible compared to the shares held short (the relative indicator is days to cover which is historically pretty high at the moment)

The chances that a short squeeze happens today are pretty low. Especially considering that it is possible that a lot of short positions have been entered at higher prices than what we have now and are therefore money makers at the moment.

A major stock surge based on solid news and performance would be needed to squeeze the shorts out.

Thank you for your explanation Gtoffo!:smile:

Last edited:
Mobileye (MBLY +5.7%) shares are performing even better than TSLA today. It's a supplier of camera-based advanced driver assistance systems to Tesla and other OEMs. Just as Morgan Stanley today provided positive comments and an increased price target for TSLA, it did the same for MBLY: Analyst Sees Mobileye Domination . Morgan Stanley analysts seem to have developed a common outlook regarding how robotic car driving will benefit both companies.

Mobileye (MBLY +5.7%) shares are performing even better than TSLA today. It's a supplier of camera-based advanced driver assistance systems to Tesla and other OEMs. Just as Morgan Stanley today provided positive comments and an increased price target for TSLA, it did the same for MBLY: Analyst Sees Mobileye Domination

I got caught short some some covered calls on that one, oops. Peanuts compared to my TSLA positions though.

Mobileye (MBLY +5.7%) shares are performing even better than TSLA today. It's a supplier of camera-based advanced driver assistance systems to Tesla and other OEMs. Just as Morgan Stanley today provided positive comments and an increased price target for TSLA, it did the same for MBLY: Analyst Sees Mobileye Domination . Morgan Stanley analysts seem to have developed a common outlook regarding how robotic car driving will benefit both companies.

As far as I know almost all of the german car manufacturers are currently working in projects with Mobileye.
This is usually done in projects that employ workers from several different companies like Mobileye, Bosch and others.
As far as I know the small and Israel based company Mobileye is renowned for their worldwide leading tech in driving automation.
They do not talk too much about their work, but they get pretty good results with their tech, that's why so many companies want to work with them.

Well the crane shut everything down; that was newsworthy.

4.0 earthquake is a non-event, but definitely any kind of earthquake in that region is cause for concern. Especially to northeasterners and midwesterners who don't think that stuff is routine.

;)

I felt it this morning. I assumed it was a medium (not large) truck driving by and then remembered that I no longer live that close to a road. I'm roughly the same distance from the epicenter as the factory is (just in a different direction).

Mainly off topic: It seems to my unschooled eye that it is a good thing to have a series of minor quakes along a major fault line, since that could serve to release some tension in a non-destructive way.

More off topic: We had a similar quake near Gothenburg a few weeks ago. Only one person among us sensed anything but thought it might have been a big truck passing. Distance to that epicenter was ~100 km.

Kinda back on topic: ISTR that Tesla has a bunch of Powerwall prototypes at Fremont since some time ago? Like 2 MWh or so? Of course, that is not a lot of help if the power line snakes across the main parking lot, for example ... :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.