Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Crickets. Must be a great day to buy. ;)

Indeed, or be bought in.

I was dusting off my broad trend chart and it sure looks like we are just executing another climb off of a higher support level. We have been under the 50 day MA about 7-9 weeks twice before and we are at about 4 weeks now, on schedule to retake the 50.

broad_oct_23.JPG

California now requiring L2 charging in 2015 building code CA To Require New Buildings To Be Wired For Electric-Car Charging Stations

Thanks for that information. I passed it along to my Illinois state governor, legislators and village mayor and trustees. The first to respond was the guy who beat me in my 2012 run for state representative. He's asking me all the right questions, and appears to be seriously looking into developing a similar law here in Illinois. He earlier sponsored a bill to put electric car charging stations on major Illinois highways. I told him that this time I would vote for him. That won't be hard since he is unopposed. Actually, we've become friends.

Others here may want to contact their state and municipal officials about creating laws mandating electric car charging infrastructure.

Last edited:
Thanks for that information. I passed it along to my Illinois state governor, legislators and village mayor and trustees. The first to respond was the guy who beat me in my 2012 run for state representative. He's asking me all the right questions, and appears to be seriously looking into developing a similar law here in Illinois. He earlier sponsored a bill to put electric car charging stations on major Illinois highways. I told him that this time I would vote for him. That's won't be hard since he is unopposed. Actually, we've become friends.

Others here may want to contact their state and municipal officials about creating laws mandating electric car charging infrastructure.

Nicely done, Curt!

Quick FYI on TSLA movements in closing minutes here folks: markets were spooked not long ago after news broke about a possible Ebola case in NYC. Look for serious volatility in market indices overnight as this story develops. Be cautious with short-term trades.

Thanks for that information. I passed it along to my Illinois state governor, legislators and village mayor and trustees. The first to respond was the guy who beat me in my 2012 run for state representative. He's asking me all the right questions, and appears to be seriously looking into developing a similar law here in Illinois. He earlier sponsored a bill to put electric car charging stations on major Illinois highways. I told him that this time I would vote for him. That's won't be hard since he is unopposed. Actually, we've become friends.

We do house restoration new home contruction and for the last two new builds we did the buyers asked that the garage be wired with a 240v. One had a Model S and the other was on the wait list. Was very happy to both see and provide. Minimal extra cost on our end. Going forward I will make sure there is some future proofing for this in our builds.

For the latest uptrend, why didn't you break it into 177->291, 291--> 217, then resume again from 217?

Indeed, or be bought in.

I was dusting off my broad trend chart and it sure looks like we are just executing another climb off of a higher support level. We have been under the 50 day MA about 7-9 weeks twice before and we are at about 4 weeks now, on schedule to retake the 50.

View attachment 61976

We do house restoration new home contruction and for the last two new builds we did the buyers asked that the garage be wired with a 240v. One had a Model S and the other was on the wait list. Was very happy to both see and provide. Minimal extra cost on our end. Going forward I will make sure there is some future proofing for this in our builds.

yeah that is a no brainer anyway. Hobbyists into serious woodworking or metalworking would appreciate 240 hookups anyway.

Cross-post from Short term social chat:

The short term catalyst is earnings, which I think will have a very positive effect on the stock because of the combination of meeting guidance (some bears speculated that they will not), possibly raising and definitely reaffirming 2014 guidance, and reporting a surprise profit. Hybrid cars reports that Tesla sold 46,928 cars through September. Let us do the math:

2012: 2,558 cars (good car bad car) or 2,650 cars (wikipedia/4Q12 report)
2013: 22,477 cars
2014 Q1: 6,457 cars
2014 Q2: 7,579 cars
Total: 39,071-39,163
2014 Q3: 7765-7857 cars

It seems that Tesla started this quarter with a production rate of 1000 vehicles per week based on what I have read here on TMC. Tesla will probably go past this number to 1100 or 1200 by the end of the quarter, but given 64 work days, a 1000 cars/week rate results in 12,800 cars and we need 13,199. This means that Tesla could potentially raise guidance by 500-1500 vehicles, and will definitely at least reaffirm 35,000 vehicles for this year. This is good news because many have speculated that Tesla will have a hard time or will not meet guidance for this year.

Also, according to mostapasta's posts about ZEV credits, it seems that Tesla sold $30-$40 million in ZEV credits in Q3, which would probably put Tesla in the green for non-GAAP profits and could potentially put Tesla in the green for GAAP profits. This would mean an earnings beat as analysts are currently predicting $0.00 earnings per share and also one less talking point for the bears.

This might be why is why Elon was so jolly on October 7th during the Vanity Fair interview :tongue:

Cross-post from Short term social chat:

The short term catalyst is earnings, which I think will have a very positive effect on the stock because of the combination of meeting guidance (some bears speculated that they will not), possibly raising and definitely reaffirming 2014 guidance, and reporting a surprise profit. Hybrid cars reports that Tesla sold 46,928 cars through September. Let us do the math:

2012: 2,558 cars (good car bad car) or 2,650 cars (wikipedia/4Q12 report)
2013: 22,477 cars
2014 Q1: 6,457 cars
2014 Q2: 7,579 cars
Total: 39,071-39,163
2014 Q3: 7765-7857 cars

It seems that Tesla started this quarter with a production rate of 1000 vehicles per week based on what I have read here on TMC. Tesla will probably go past this number to 1100 or 1200 by the end of the quarter, but given 64 work days, a 1000 cars/week rate results in 12,800 cars and we need 13,199. This means that Tesla could potentially raise guidance by 500-1500 vehicles, and will definitely at least reaffirm 35,000 vehicles for this year. This is good news because many have speculated that Tesla will have a hard time or will not meet guidance for this year.

Also, according to mostapasta's posts about ZEV credits, it seems that Tesla sold $30-$40 million in ZEV credits in Q3, which would probably put Tesla in the green for non-GAAP profits and could potentially put Tesla in the green for GAAP profits. This would mean an earnings beat as analysts are currently predicting $0.00 earnings per share and also one less talking point for the bears.

This might be why is why Elon was so jolly on October 7th during the Vanity Fair interview :tongue:

Q3-2012: 250 - http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ABEA-4CW8X0/3152427633x0x611344/42cb80fa-6f64-4e48-93ff-2da29de21acc/Q3%202012%20Shareholder%20Letter%20Final.pdf
Q4-2012: 2,400 - http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...-9c9e-16a8dda99a19/Q4'12 SHL 022013 final.pdf

Q1-2013: 4,900 - http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ABEA-4CW8X0/3152427633x0x661989/ee71d11b-3563-489c-9471-9319fd963626/Q1%2013%20Shareholder%20Letter.pdf
Q2-2013: 5,150 - http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...089/Q2'13 Tesla Motors Shareholder Letter.pdf
Q3-2013: 5,500 - http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...d256/Tesla Q3'13 Shareholder Letter final.pdf
Q4-2013: 6,892 - http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...171-3685fd8150b3/Q4'13 Shareholder Letter.pdf

Q1-2014: 6,457 - http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...2f73d9c64e/Q1'14 Shareholder Letter final.pdf
Q2-2014: 7,579 - http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...8f57412777/Tesla Q2'14 Shareholder Letter.pdf

Total Historical Sales through June 30, 2014 = 39,128

*Q3-2014: 7,800 (46,928 - 39,128) - Tesla On Track To Sell 50,000th Model S This Month - HybridCars.com

So am I to understand correctly that hybrid cars is just assuming that they met guidance vice actually pulling a real number together? Because if they sold EXACTLY 7800 I would be very surprised... That would be... Weirdly exact on such a large number.

Anyway, meeting delivery guidance wasn't really my concern, I was more concerned about hitting production guidance...

Nicely done, Curt!

Quick FYI on TSLA movements in closing minutes here folks: markets were spooked not long ago after news broke about a possible Ebola case in NYC. Look for serious volatility in market indices overnight as this story develops. Be cautious with short-term trades.

Right when the news came out tonight confirming this guy has Ebola, the S&P futures tanked 12 points immediately...
They have recovered about 5 points since but I hope the market doesn't get spooked tomorrow because of this, if it does TSLA could have a significant drop being such a high beta stock

Right when the news came out tonight confirming this guy has Ebola, the S&P futures tanked 12 points immediately...
They have recovered about 5 points since but I hope the market doesn't get spooked tomorrow because of this, if it does TSLA could have a significant drop being such a high beta stock

The doctor in New York who came down with ebola was taking his own temperature twice a day and should not have been contagious until the morning he woke up with a fever. Hopefully, some media will provide an accurate reporting of the details.

Strange that Toyota isn't revealing how much of their stake they sold. I don't get that. Leads to negative speculation that is probably unwarranted.

according to Bloomberg:
Toyota held 2.94 million Tesla shares as of March 31,
according to data compiled by Bloomberg. The 2.4 percent stake
ranked the Toyota City, Japan-based company as Tesla’s 10th-
largest shareholder, the data shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.