Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla Motors may not advertise through the traditional media, but today I received an offer through email to test drive a Model S this weekend in Chicagoland. Tesla emailed to me similar ads on July 31 and October 9. I assume I’m on their mailing list as a shareholder without a Tesla car. So as some posters wonder about international expansion in light of supply constraint, I might wonder about this type of domestic advertising. The implication is that either demand is slowing, or that supply constraints are expected to alleviate.

I really wouldn’t worry about demand, since the company could implement a wider form of advertising. It may be hard for TMC members or Californians to believe, but a great many Americans are still unaware of Tesla Motors and its cars. I was unaware until receiving a tip in January and performing research which resulted in my share purchase. Monday I received a photo from a high school 1963 classmate and car enthusiast in Delaware seated in a replica 1927 Ford Roadster he had made (see image below.) I mentioned Tesla, and he responded, “I’ve seen some info on them, but not much.”

During the eighties I lived in Palo Alto and friends tell me there is a Model S on nearly every block. That certainly is not the case in the rest of the country. Not even close. Word of mouth can take a while to traverse a continent. I see much untapped demand. If Tesla is sending email ads to people like me, my suspicion is that supply constraints are expected to alleviate, but that Elon did not have sufficient proof to give analysts during yesterday’s conference.

I think you're reading way too much into it. E-mail is very cheap. You are a potential high-value customer. Maybe they identify you as a good ambassador. So they sent you an e-mail.

I think you're reading way too much into it. E-mail is very cheap. You are a potential high-value customer. Maybe they identify you as a good ambassador. So they sent you an e-mail.

A poster in another TMC forum indicates that such email ads are sent to not only shareholders, but also to those who already own a Tesla car. My point was that Tesla is doing a form of advertising, and the implication could be that supply constraints are being alleviated. They wouldn't want me as a sales ambassador, if supply cannot meet demand for the foreseeable future.

Thank you. Nice to know that you agree with me.

It has been so dismal with TSLA the last couple days that I find myself too focused on the smallest things that might negatively impact the stock. Probably should turn off the computer and have a glass of wine and hope that there were no injuries. From the look of the picture it appears the cabin is intact and that the fire appears to have been isolated to the frunk.

Even if the fire is due to reasonable circumstances, it's going to blow a hole in the "safer than an ICE" argument. We're rapidly approaching parity for the "per miles driven" comparison and I'd guess if it's "per miles driven on a car less than 1 year old" then Tesla is going to be on the wrong end of that stat. Even as an owner and investor, I'm no longer sure that an EV is really better (or worse) on the fire angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.