Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short-Term TSLA Price Movements - 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody is buying those shares, they will buy the call and then sell it during a "pop" to 180 again or during some initial hit.

The price per option is .22 (22.00 per 100 shares) - if it goes up 20% during trading today, they can sell that for a pretty nice little gain. It shows a .07 increase and thus a 33% gain for today. That is far more lucrative than buying shares and waiting for a 7% growth like yesterday. This is called buying "way out of the money options for cheap on a volatile stock" during an upswing with higher volatility ratios.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20131105-707228.html

Nobody is buying those shares, they will buy the call and then sell it during a "pop" to 180 again or during some initial hit.

The price per option is .22 (22.00 per 100 shares) - if it goes up 20% during trading today, they can sell that for a pretty nice little gain. It shows a .07 increase and thus a 33% gain for today. That is far more lucrative than buying shares and waiting for a 7% growth like yesterday. This is called buying "way out of the money options for cheap on a volatile stock" during an upswing with higher volatility ratios.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20131105-707228.html

Yes, but those are effectively ponzi schemes because the last guy holding will get them to expire worthless very very likely. So you need to have someone else who picks up those with a gain and in the end someone must hold on or the initial seller will buy to close just to avoid ER risk... Also, might indeed be some shorts securing their back yard in case the stock takes off due to absurdly good results (7k cars delivered, guidance to 60k for FY2014 for example).

This feels like macroeconomic forces at work today. The markets may fear the "taper" of Fed money flow given any news of an uptick in the economy, and luxury autos may have an outsize vulnerability to such tapering.

For what it's worth, I don't see the Fed backing off its monetary stimulus until or unless there is heavy additional fiscal stimulus coming out of Congress, which would be all but impossible given the recent shenanigans. It would require a Democratic House to have a chance, which means I'm betting on no Fed tapering of any meaningful sort until 2016 at the earliest.

Of course if someone has insight on another bit of news affecting TSLA, do tell.

I saw a +$6 move in the morning and was worried about the stock being too high flying going into earnings, but now that it came back down, I'm much more comfortable... I want to see a close around $174ish. Thats a good base to break out to the upside and hit $200 on a good report.

i don't get your logic, it's much easier to break 200$ if you start post earning on 180+ then 174
i rather you being not comfortable and we get to 180+ today though i don't see it happen

I saw a +$6 move in the morning and was worried about the stock being too high flying going into earnings, but now that it came back down, I'm much more comfortable... I want to see a close around $174ish. Thats a good base to break out to the upside and hit $200 on a good report.

I felt better about this too, I don't like to see rampant speculation before any numbers are actually released. I much prefer subdued waiting. Have a look at the last trading days from the Q1 and Q2 ER.

TSLA.JPG

TSLA2.JPG

Both of these screenshots were post-CC. Q1 was pretty even keeled, and Q2 was actually something of a bad day. For the sake of my heartbeat, I hope we see a totally flat day.

I'm hoping to add a third to my picture sequence so I can frame them or something someday.

I agree....I think if we stay below 180$ we should have a little more protection against a possible "sell on the news" reaction and a good base to move up from. The fact that the stock isn't just booming blindly makes me hopeful that the market is keeping their expectations a bit more realistic....

Status
Not open for further replies.