Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Servicing in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's more than my BMW's first services...they're usually around $450 for most 3 Series (usually 323's, 330's etc.), X3's (2.0 diesels), 1 Series (2.0 petrols) etc. I've had over 13 BMW's over the past 20 years and for a first service $633 is on the high side.

In saying that Tesla has always said their service, when announced, would be comparable to most European comparable cars...if compared to a X5/5 Series, a more fair comparison, I think that would be a correct statement.

-ECIT
When there is only one bmw in your capital city the service prices are extortion. After the first service you find an alternative, but the local dealer still gets to supply parts to the alternative mechanic at extortion prices. $1500 bmw servicing in adelaide isn't unusual.

Re service plan: Not sure if this has been mentioned, but other than the price discount, if you pay up front and then cancel later you do get a pro-rata refund of the remaining value. This helps justify the 4 and 8 year plans a little more. This clause is mentioned in Sections I and J.

I've gone ahead and signed up for 4 years.

I haven't a problem with paying this service fee - but it has been my experience that most cars around this price in Australia normally come with a three year, 60000 km, free service arrangement if not longer. If they don't, you can normally negotiate it. I'm not sure about everyone else here but I found negotiating with Tesla pretty much like negotiating with a brick wall. And as long as that's consistant I don't have a problem with that either.

So I consider the service fee just part of the cost. BTW I didn't know there was a service plan you could opt for?

I will probably keep my car for at least the 8 years but I didn't perceive it as a big discount, plus its a big chunk of change right now.
I'm actually having the first yearly service done today and Jesse offered the service plan to me but I have decided to stay with "Pay as you go".

I will probably keep my car for at least the 8 years but I didn't perceive it as a big discount, plus its a big chunk of change right now.
I'm actually having the first yearly service done today and Jesse offered the service plan to me but I have decided to stay with "Pay as you go".
Remember Elon said that these services aren't required (ie. Don't affect warranty). Those in the USA indicate that the first year service is a waste of money but the second is useful.

Just took my S in for a checkup yesterday at 27,000 + . Had the seatbelt checked, windscreen wiper blades replaced checked over Brakes, tyres, fluids etc- cleaned the beast very nicely gave me the Roadster2.5 as a loaner for the day and at the end of all that- NO CHARGE. Score! Cant say I am disappointed at all.:smile:

Reactions: Burnt Toast
Just took my S in for a checkup yesterday at 27,000 + . Had the seatbelt checked, windscreen wiper blades replaced checked over Brakes, tyres, fluids etc- cleaned the beast very nicely gave me the Roadster2.5 as a loaner for the day and at the end of all that- NO CHARGE. Score! Cant say I am disappointed at all.:smile:

OK that's it. Next year I'm taking the day off and will insist on a P90D L or a Roadster loaner and going for a fang along the Bells Line of Road.:cool:

Hi Melocomm

Just to rub it in a bit.....

The roadster has incredible performance in a straght line but I was staggered at the profound Over steer when under torque into a corner. Got a bit messy a few times until I got the corner entry technique down. That and the braking is quiet poor. ABS kicks very readily and is false triggered if there's front end skip. That can be a little disconcerting at times. Nonetheless a very fun afternoon fanginnn..:scared:

It was also a bit of fun watching my wifes reaction to 2.8/100Km/hr. She used rude words she normally criticizes other people for using...... Reminds me of my go kart racing days many many moons ago.

roadster1B.jpg

Gee, tough crowd. :frown:
I have noticed since today's service and wheel alignment, there is less scrub on the front wheels when turning. I have the impression it had been that way for a long time.
So even if you choose not to service your Tesla it may be a good idea to have an alignment done.

Remember Elon said that these services aren't required (ie. Don't affect warranty). Those in the USA indicate that the first year service is a waste of money but the second is useful.
My one year anniversary of X ownership is nearly up. Unlike other cars I have owned there is no service indicator, and as has been previously stated, annual servicing seems optional. What is the prevailing view on the first service? Seems like a lot of money to change wiper blades. Did anyone notice a difference when they did go for the first service?

—edited to add service items. I think I have answered my own question. Skip Year 1. Do Year 2.

C5952C9D-7CA4-4BEE-B89C-C1C794445738.png

Last edited:
My one year anniversary of X ownership is nearly up. Unlike other cars I have owned there is no service indicator, and as has been previously stated, annual servicing seems optional. What is the prevailing view on the first service? Seems like a lot of money to change wiper blades. Did anyone notice a difference when they did go for the first service?

—edited to add service items. I think I have answered my own question. Skip Year 1. Do Year 2.

View attachment 276934

It does seem like a lot of money for replacing a few items you can do yourself, what the service does offer is an up close inspection of brakes, steering and suspension components by a service technician who (hopefully) can pick up any faults early, this is not an issue you want to find out about travelling at 110kmh.
Service costs can be seen as lacking value for money but for cars that range from $120k to 300k that are likely to last for many more years than convential cars it's acceptable.
Don't forget to number your tyres with chalk.

Hi Melocomm

Just to rub it in a bit.....

The roadster has incredible performance in a straght line but I was staggered at the profound Over steer when under torque into a corner. Got a bit messy a few times until I got the corner entry technique down. That and the braking is quiet poor. ABS kicks very readily and is false triggered if there's front end skip. That can be a little disconcerting at times. Nonetheless a very fun afternoon fanginnn..:scared:

It was also a bit of fun watching my wifes reaction to 2.8/100Km/hr. She used rude words she normally criticizes other people for using...... Reminds me of my go kart racing days many many moons ago.

View attachment 103099

I don't think the Roadster is anything like that fast, more like 0-100kmh in 4.0