Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLA Mobile Service experience - MY 2023 Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I feel that positive experience needs to be shared more so just sharing my experience with Tesla mobile service in Melbourne Victoria so far.

The first one was a tyre replacement. One of my tyre hit a piece of metal sheeting and the tyre was gone.
Called the Tesla 1300 number and a Tesla mobile technician showed up within 5-10 minutes. Wheel swapped with the loaner wheel and all done in ~15 minutes? Granted I was within ~30km from the Melbourne CBD, but I reckon its quicker than if I had a spare wheel and have to do it my own. It was such a pleasant experience for a burst tyre lol.

They offered me to take the wheel to the nearest service centre or I can take it and sort the tyre myself. I choose to have the technician to take the wheel to the nearest SC and away I went.
I knew it will need to be replaced.
Made a few phone calls and the only one tyre shop that has Hankook EV tyre for my MY. I was quoted around AUD 600 for a new tyre installed. And I have to wait around 2 weeks as they dont have it in stock. I was worried they dont have the exact match of my 19' Hankook, plus that means I have to wait for 2 weeks which isn't ideal.
Tesla said that if it took that long, I might have to source a loaner wheel myself, and return the their loaner wheel to the SC. So I waited for the Tesla quote.
The quote came, it was AUD670 installed. 3 days later my newly installed tyre came. Delievered. To my house. Done within 10 minutes.
The whole thing was organized via the mobile app.

The second one:
My 10k wheel rotation. Was quoted by Tesla ~AUD100 for a wheel rotation. Went to the nearest tyre shop and also quoted AUD100 but I have to go there and wait.
So I chose Tesla mobile service.
Got it done within a couple of days in my own garage, plus they replaced the speaker grill as part of the free recall. Apparently the speaker grille can warp under intense heat. ~30 minutes and done.

The whole experience was smooth, straightforward and just EASY.
I don't need to take some time to go and wait around in a neon lit waiting room or organize a loan car. I can sit on my own couch sipping coffee and all done within a few minutes.
The price they quoted isnt too crazy either. Both are reasonable. I don't really mind the extra AUD 70 for the new tyre since I don't have to wait around for 2 weeks and have it delivered home.

All in all, such a pleasant experience so far.
Exceeding my previous experiences with the dealerships and various mechanics in the past.
Well done!!

51946768378_ef63492868_b.jpg

"#Tesla service vehicle in #Australia" by johnjones is licensed under CC BY-ND 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

I'm frankly surprised Tesla are still allowing mobile service to do tyre rotations.

The technicians must hate it, and it's far quicker to do at a shop with commercial equipment.
(I suspect why we've seen posts on FB of the technician saying that the wear is even so tyres don't need rotating)

One more data point from Sydney: Tesla mobile service wants $142.56 to rotate my tyres (0.48 service hours * $270/hr), twice the $70 figure from last October, while the local Tyrepower shop wants $120 for rotation & alignment and claims to have all the necessary equipment for Teslas. I can see the argument for paying $22 for the convenience, but I'm still going with Tyrepower because it's along my way to work anyway.

One more data point from Sydney: Tesla mobile service wants $142.56 to rotate my tyres (0.48 service hours * $270/hr), twice the $70 figure from last October, while the local Tyrepower shop wants $120 for rotation & alignment and claims to have all the necessary equipment for Teslas. I can see the argument for paying $22 for the convenience, but I'm still going with Tyrepower because it's along my way to work anyway.
All you need to do is ensure they torque the bolts correctly. Other than that, nothing special about rotating tesla wheels.

I haven’t trouble Tesla for tyre rotation or replacement tyres ever in my 9 years of ownership. Large tyre chains like Jax, Tyrepower or Bob Jane have a good understanding of the specific requirements of jacking electric vehicles.
My first puncture, 8 or so years ago, I did a deal with the tyre shop. If they can work out how to start the car they can drive it on the ramp, otherwise I’ll drive it on the ramp. He sat there for a good 5 minutes trying to find a key fob hole or button.

Update: Tyrepower ended up doing the rotation only and charging $60 for it, which suited me just fine and was well under half the price that Tesla mobile service wanted.