Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seriously, When will the Honeymoon Phase Be Over?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a "newlywed" compared to the others - only 13 months of ownership but what happened yesterday is illustrative. I had a dental appointment and a "honey do" list to accomplish before it. Got through all the errands with 45 minutes to spare and never bothered to wonder what to do with the spare time. I just kept on driving, finding some local winding roads, ending up an exit away from town then blasting back on I 95 and arriving with 5 minutes to spare.

13 months and 17k miles here. The honeymoon is definitely over and it has become a utility at this point - reliable, fun, practical. Does everything extremely well which makes it a perfect daily driver.

Tesla has successfully accomplished their goal of making electric cars a no-compromise alternative to gasoline cars. The game is on! Now bring on that Model X and G-Factory!

Got our first one in Oct of 2012. My wife and I ignored our second car all winter, used it as little as possible.
Bought our second one in May or 2013.
38,000 on the first, 16,000 on the second.
Drove the first one to Ca and back, as well as to any car shows I can find.

I am sure the service center is ready to take out a restraining order on me, and I know if a store opens locally, they will be warned about me.

So no, I don't know when the honeymoon phase is over:)

Oh, BTW, I am an introvert :rolleyes:

Great post, and i love the signature statement.

We have just hit the 18 month mark but only 11+K miles. Being retired we use the car less often. However, our other car, a more expensive 2007 Lexus LS460L Executive Class has only been driven 1+K miles in in the same time. I hardly drive it at all, and my wife drives it to go shopping (1 mile round trips). We have to use our trickle charger to keep the battery from discharging. Before our Tesla, my wife wanted me to drive her in the Lexus, while she sat in the right rear sear, reclining with her feet up on the ottoman and the massage on. Now she wants to drive the Tesla and only lets me drive more, because she understands its a male thing, and we've been married for 44 years this coming December. Honeymoon still in both senses.

Pro Tip: If you want to stay in love, wash your car by hand every 1-2 weeks. It's not just that a clean car easier to love: it's also the physical act of bathing and caressing the car, like a baby, which triggers the release of bonding hormones. The key, of course, is that you can't outsource the job. It has to be you, and it has to involve touch. We love the things we care for.

Coming up on a year and a half. I still love the car in the most extreme terms I could have ever imagined. So, I guess I don't know when it will end. It is clearly NOT over for me. I still feel the same way about the employees, the service and Tesla Motors overall. In a way, I made the decision to buy the Model S 35 years ago. It's still the best automotive decision I've ever made. If/when AWD comes out I'll trade for an upgraded version. I've never felt this good in or about a vehicle. I laugh when they award any other car the COTY award. The Model S is STILL the car of the year. I don't see anything close. Simply a stunning achievement.

Pro Tip: If you want to stay in love, wash your car by hand every 1-2 weeks. It's not just that a clean car easier to love: it's also the physical act of bathing and caressing the car, like a baby, which triggers the release of bonding hormones. The key, of course, is that you can't outsource the job. It has to be you, and it has to involve touch. We love the things we care for.

Washing the car with your partner increases that bond, also. I never outsource, Milli and I wash the car at least once a week. Never use soap: Spray off dirt, gently wipe dry with microfiber, carnauba/water spray wax gently wiped on and gently buffed with microfiber. Love affair still good after 2 years, 50K miles. May be more interesting if the helper gets waxed while working on the car. Or spray washed. Can quickly go off topic.

Better than watching television!

Love this thread.. 1-1/2 years and 46,000 miles. Wow, it feels like the first 2 hours of a 2-week honeymoon in paradise!!

My spouse and I agree --> best purchase of our lives. We still fight over who gets to drive it. Every. Single. Time.. We need that Model X in the worst way.

I never thought it was possible, but I guess my spouse and I have been having this Ménage à trois with Tess, and its been pure, sweet bliss. I hope it never ends.