Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Large Drive Unit Milling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question, Tesla just randomly made changes to the invoice. The drive unit is missing and they want me to approve this now? Is this a mistake on their end?View attachment 1025673
You can approve, but they'll likely catch it later. Or not, and you got a screaming deal 🤣

Oh, see if you can get a pic of the new drive unit, like I did. 20240201_084304.jpg

Welp, update… I heard the milling noise few days ago and today I woke up to head to work and received the Vehicle May Not Restart warning. Guess I’m an unlucky one, car is going into service on the 12th hopefully the DU is no more than 6k. I’ll update you on what happens, also no I’ve never had to add coolant.
What area do you live in? What service center quoted you $5k? Have a picture? Thanks! Sorry yours went out!

Yeah this service center I went to was messing with me, first they put just the drive unit then they took it off which made me think I’m getting a good deal. Anyways I approved the actual estimate today. Pretty damn expensive, went the reman route. But they were feeling nice and took off the 255 dollar inspection fee.
IMG_5245.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2 and NV Ray
Yeah this service center I went to was messing with me, first they put just the drive unit then they took it off which made me think I’m getting a good deal. Anyways I approved the actual estimate today. Pretty damn expensive, went the reman route. But they were feeling nice and took off the 255 dollar inspection fee.View attachment 1025998
Were you able, or did you want to, keep the old drive unit?

Reactions: tm1v2 and JamesMS13
Honestly torn whether to keep it now or not. If the battery goes bad, I’d spend more on a replacement and the DU than what the car is worth now.
What’s your mileage on the current battery you have and has it ever been changed. At this point I drive a new car my battery pack was replaced in 2022 and now my drive unit was replaced last week. The car drives great with the new drive unit. I love this car too much, it’s everything I’d want in a car and I much rather have spend money on a new battery and DU to make the car bulletproof rather spend 60-70k on a new one.
IMG_5293.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: tm1v2 and hydro
What’s your mileage on the current battery you have and has it ever been changed. At this point I drive a new car my battery pack was replaced in 2022 and now my drive unit was replaced last week. The car drives great with the new drive unit. I love this car too much, it’s everything I’d want in a car and I much rather have spend money on a new battery and DU to make the car bulletproof rather spend 60-70k on a new one. View attachment 1028795
Beautiful car, is that Dolphin Grey?

Reactions: tm1v2 and JamesMS13
What’s your mileage on the current battery you have and has it ever been changed. At this point I drive a new car my battery pack was replaced in 2022 and now my drive unit was replaced last week. The car drives great with the new drive unit. I love this car too much, it’s everything I’d want in a car and I much rather have spend money on a new battery and DU to make the car bulletproof rather spend 60-70k on a new one. View attachment 1028795
Very nice looking car. I enjoy the same wheel style. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: JamesMS13
And could this crunch be something else? I’ve heard something about axle splines needing grease on these cars. This time around the crunch is only present at around 20 mph if I press the pedal or regen. Off a stop there is no noise:
I would think you'd definitely want to take to Tesla Service and get this documented. I assume they are warranting their work and perhaps the issue may be directly tied to the work you had done or the issue could be something new. It doesn't hurt to ask; hopefully you'll avoid a diagnostic fee since you just had work done.

Reactions: tm1v2 and hydro