Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drive unit warranty expiring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The drive unit warranty on my 2015 85D is expiring in a couple weeks. I’ve noticed a whining noise in the rear end for the past few months, louder as speed increases and then quiets when slowing. I took the car to Tesla last month for an overall check of the car and mentioned the noise, the service writer said it sounds like a drive unit going bad. 2 hours later I get an app update with a work estimate mentioning rear toe links and rear axle shaft boot torn but nothing about the drive unit. Why I asked specifically about the drive unit I was told that the technician said the rear unit was going bad but since not a total failure he wouldn’t include it in the needs replacement column. Seeing as how the warranty is about to expire, does this seem correct? A coworker in the same situation last year said he had service done at two different Tesla service center locations (Dallas TX and FT Worth TX) over a two month period due to service availability and the second service center mentioned and fixed issues that were not mentioned by the first service center. Should I seek the opinion of a different service center before the warranty expires or will the original service note from last month be in the system and thus causing the other service center to simply give the same answer based off of the other report?

Warranty generally covers items that have failed, not items that have worn. That being said, a good "dealer" will fix a worn part that is about to fail. In Tesla's case, the dealer makes no money on warranty repairs. It is just all a loss to Tesla. Look into an extended warranty.

Reactions: Sclackjr
Upvote 0