Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Large Drive Unit Milling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had the noise in my vehicle 2013 Model S 85 with 122k miles, took it into Tesla service and they wanted to replace entire suspension for $4400.
I later took it to a local mechanic who scoped for the location of noise and found the source to be the motor.
Upon returning to Tesla service center for diagnostic they concurred that it was the LDU, and would replace it with a refurbished LDU for $8500.
Funny thing is that's what they offered me for my trade in value if I were to upgrade... hmm.

In addition, I am finding that there are many issues with these original drive units and Tesla doesn't want to mess with them, they just want to replace them or upgrade you out of the old car. I get that all dealers want to sell, but I was sold on the "low maintenance" and "long lasting" vehicle model for this EV.
First LDU was replaced at 56k miles, 2nd now failing at 122k miles. Center console/ media was replaced in the first few years. Battery replaced at 102k miles.
These are all big ticket items that can very well fail quickly and cost a lot to replace. Not to mention a lot of other issues including now bubbling in my instrument panel.

I decided to do some research and found someone in the Midwest who can diagnose and repair just about anything on the Tesla.
I want it repaired right, and want it to last. Might even need to change the LDU oil every 35k miles because there is no filter on these and it gets broken down, can leak out, and/or get contaminated. Also run the risk of coolant leaking or flooding LDU. My issue right now seems to be rotor bearings, so not extreme.

I can go on and on, but will stop here. I will post my progress if there is any interest.