Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Difference in cost mitigation but also cap earning max.

With a spread

View attachment 1019562

Without a spread. Of course you can gain lot more if the dip go beyond.

View attachment 1019565

Now if you think 175 is base. Here one with a little more cost but more gain. Essentially at expiration the short 175 if not hit would expired worthless and you getting discount on the long.

View attachment 1019564
I haven’t done spread…yet. It seems the benefit is lower cost (for the purchase of the put) that comes at the expense of the gain…as it erodes (or does not require much) conviction.

What we're seeing is simply a repeat of the past and will be repeated in the future. Go back to this post. If you study the chart based on what I post, sometimes you're going to arrive at the same conclusion without me providing any update.
Brand new high on 4h RSI and it's in overbought territory now. Whenever this happens, even if it pulls back, it will make a higher high.
Here's what the entire process looked like on the chart. This time is going to be no difference. To expect a higher high after the next high, we need to see overbought on the 4h. If there's no such thing on that day, I'd venture to say we'd sell off into the close after making that higher high.

So what our intermediate term target is, is one thing. What we do from peak to peak and from trough to trough is a different thing. We can expect a higher high if some conditions are met, but on that day when our prediction comes true but conditions for more upside are not met, we need to change the trajectory.
1708281546227.png

This round kindly let us know when you turn bearish before dropping off the radar if you find you need to again ;- )

❤️
Keep in mind that I was blindsided in January and called for the end of the crash prematurely at mid 220s.

Last edited:
The daily RSI resistance is 63. Every dead cat bounce in the last year has stalled when it reached 63. We reached 63 last Thursday but on Friday we crept higher so I stayed bullish with bias toward a bit of consolidation.

257 is the point of control. Now the stock is trying to turn it into a support area. This is bullish. Since Daily RSI has broken 63, it's only logical to expect it to reach overbought condition in the near future. For this to happen, I think we need to see 275-280.
View attachment 1001052
Weekly RSI has not hit 63 yet. It should when 275-280 is reached and closed at on the weekly timeframe. For this RSI reading to register, TSLA will close that week at the high. The bulls are fully in control here.
View attachment 1001053
Weekend reflection. Here's another instance when I jumped the gun. Instead of waiting for the daily RSI to hit 70, I just assumed that it would (eventually) since 63 was held for a bit. No show of strength on the daily while the bearish divergence on the 4h kept getting worse and worse.

Granted, I entered my short at 263 (only anticipating a $20 pullback) and held all to 245. Kept my hedge to 182. Could have done much more. Bearish divergence of this magnitude are deadly.
1708282168370.png

On the daily
1708283246363.png

Last edited:
Weekend reflection. Here's another instance when I jumped the gun. Instead of waiting for the daily RSI to hit 70, I just assumed that it would (eventually) since 63 was held for a bit. No show of strength on the daily while the bearish divergence on the 4h kept getting worse and worse.

Granted, I entered my short at 263 and held all to 245. Kept my hedge to 182. Could have done much more. Bearish divergence of this magnitude are deadly.
View attachment 1019581
Thank you.

Reactions: dl003
Most people do not agree with that definition, and as far as I can tell, Fidelity does not go by that definition either. (This has been discussed here before - don't know how you would search for it). It has to be the same stock or same option. Different strike or different dates are completely different, even if it is for the same underlying stock, which is why the premiums are different.

Edit: The entire wash thing is stupid. You eventually have a gain or loss and pay the required taxes. Doesn't really matter how you got there.
Thanks! I found the discussion on page 1863 very helpful. I use IBKR and as @dl003 said, they only define options same strike same expiration date as substantially identical securities. One can always count on finding great wisdom on this forum!

this 2/24/2023 TSLA vanna is eerily similar to next week 2/23

1708304837642.png

the 175 tallest +vanna is "cancelled out" by the 2 large -vex, which probably means 180 bottom (because the 2 -vex will repel as IV rises when price drops); therefore, the best trade would be:

1708304142399.png

the week closed at 196.88, near the magnet

1708305182868.png

1708304551967.png

if the same is true one year later, then possible 2/23 192-210ish as of now

Last edited:
Double top detected this past Friday during Pre-Market and Regular Trading:

Friday Pre-Market
Top 1: $205.49
Top 2: $204.55
Target: $189.85

Friday Regular Trading:
Top 1: $203.17
Top 2: $202.94
Target: $191.76

In both cases the neckline appears to be $197.40. From this perspective if TSLA were to trade below $197.40 then the double top may play out.
Obviously if we break the highs it's invalidated.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2Pearls
Premium got even better, so opened another 100X
It seems very safe, but that is what I told myself with TSLA when the Hertz story came out and wiped out call spreads and then shortly after the Twitter thing happened and wiped out puts. With straight calls and puts you are just forced to roll, buy or sell. With spreads you are forced to pay the spread. If NVDA took a 30% hit after earnings, it would be a big hit on those spreads. The risk is under 1%, but I would guess would be a painful black swan.

I wonder how often the 6-weeks forward Max-Pain numbers are much different from this?
Good question. I’ve definitely watched them change week by week, so they are not really very instructive. I use them as one more datapoint along with others to get a picture of where things may be ranging/headed and when I notice a confluence it bolsters the probability.

@dl003 and @tivoboy - can you please share what you see for NVDA this week based on TA? Not seeking financial advice just want to hear your thought.

I'm guessing (just a guess) that NVDA will either flatline or have a slight pullback after ER based on declining growth % and the last ERs. But Jenson been known to sandbagged earning with underpromising and overdelivering.

What happen to NVDA ER will have some ripples within the MACRO and definitely effect TSLA in some way. Good to hear differing points of view before we goes into this week.

Good question. I’ve definitely watched them change week by week, so they are not really very instructive. I use them as one more datapoint along with others to get a picture of where things may be ranging/headed and when I notice a confluence it bolsters the probability.
JimS and I tracked MP on Mondays vs. closing SP on Fridays a week and a half later, and I couldn’t see any pattern (= little or no predictive value). I suppose Wednesday AM MPs are rarely more than +/-$10 from Friday’s close.

Reactions: Jim Holder
JimS and I tracked MP on Mondays vs. closing SP on Fridays a week and a half later, and I couldn’t see any pattern (= little or no predictive value). I suppose Wednesday AM MPs are rarely more than +/-$10 from Friday’s close.

JimS’s charts (courtesy of @Papafox) seem to implicate that MP does drive SP (see example below) except on rare outlier weeks driven by other reasons causing the divergence. Or is that showing instead that MP draws up to SP mid-week instead of the other way around?

(Papafox very often jeers how manipulative the pirates are by getting SP to MP, some weeks to the penny.)

1708376893952.png

Last edited:
@dl003 and @tivoboy - can you please share what you see for NVDA this week based on TA? Not seeking financial advice just want to hear your thought.

I'm guessing (just a guess) that NVDA will either flatline or have a slight pullback after ER based on declining growth % and the last ERs. But Jenson been known to sandbagged earning with underpromising and overdelivering.

What happen to NVDA ER will have some ripples within the MACRO and definitely effect TSLA in some way. Good to hear differing points of view before we goes into this week.
NVDA's forward PE is only 35. I can't imagine a huge drop unless they have a massive miss.