Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

self made aero wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks everyone! I really like the plain silver look that (almost) matches the car's paint. This week is pretty busy for me so I won't have time to do a real controlled test. A few things I have learned so far:
Aluminium is a very soft metal. Very easy to drill and machine, but too soft for a thread that is used a lot. The friction of just putting the screws in and out wears the thread out. I have two possible solutions for this, but that's further down the line.
The disks vibrate a little and create some noise. Not bad, but if you turn off AC and music you can sometimes hear it a little. Mostly because they are attached on the outside while the center is loose. Easy to fix, but again, not a priority right now for me. I think the flat shape is the worst when it comes to vibration, too.
Each time you want to check the tire pressure you have to take them off. Drilling a big enough hole in them to reach through to the valve would fix it. Not sure I want to.
My goal is to show there is hopefully enough of a benefit of having closed wheels that either Tesla or a different manufacturer starts making a real aero rim that is closed and smooth. Not a fake one that still has holes and pretends to look like a normal rim. If anyone knows a company that is willing to custom machine rims, let me know.

My goal is to show there is hopefully enough of a benefit of having closed wheels that either Tesla or a different manufacturer starts making a real aero rim that is closed and smooth. Not a fake one that still has holes and pretends to look like a normal rim. If anyone knows a company that is willing to custom machine rims, let me know.

http://evannex.com/

sells all kinds of Tesla accessories and also manufactures some. They might be interested.

The disks vibrate a little and create some noise. Not bad, but if you turn off AC and music you can sometimes hear it a little. Mostly because they are attached on the outside while the center is loose. Easy to fix, but again, not a priority right now for me. I think the flat shape is the worst when it comes to vibration, too.
Those plates should not be completely flat - make them concave a bit i.e. the center should be 'pulled' out about half an inch. Any machine shop can do that for you.
On the inside center you should fix some hard rubber to support the plate shape.
This should dampen vibrations and further improve airflow. Air does not run straight along the wheel but goes in a curve.

And don't forget to balance the wheels with plates attached.

I'd like to see the screws or bolts being used. I'm guessing self tapping might be good for dozens of removals but be eventually replaced with plastic tubing (the plastic anchor concept). With plastic anchoring the rim holes would never wear out, just the replaceable anchors.
--

Those plates should not be completely flat - make them concave a bit i.e. the center should be 'pulled' out about half an inch. Any machine shop can do that for you.
On the inside center you should fix some hard rubber to support the plate shape.
This should dampen vibrations and further improve airflow. Air does not run straight along the wheel but goes in a curve.

And don't forget to balance the wheels with plates attached.

The shape you are describing "pulled out" is actually convex. Not concave.

Sorry still no time for a controlled test, but here is a photo of my car with all disks installed. I am getting a lot of positive feedback for the looks of the wheels. I was expecting more of a 'what in the world is that'. But so far I have gotten almost only positive comments. The fact that they almost match the car's paint helps.

KK-6711.jpg

Last edited:
I'm very eager to see the results of a controlled test. This sure looks like an easy way to save a few kWh.

Did you ever think of making the disks out of clear plastic? They might look better that way, almost invisible. (Not that they look bad now :)

The problem would be to find a plastic that wouldn't get scratched up after a couple of weeks of use. Brushed aluminum is probably the best bet.