Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Screen glue leak fix quote

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
should I insist that i just need mcu2 and not the screen via the app and then talk to the tech when they come to my place to do the actual work ?
Thoughts from random person on the internet:

It depends what you really want done. If you only want the screen replaced, then that's clearly $750. If you also want MCU2 that may be $1750 or possibly $2500 (really shouldn't though due at least to labor overlap) (then maybe more for radio upgrade)

What you don't want is for the tech to not have the parts they need when they come out. So to cover your bases, maybe leave the quote as written and talk to the tech when they come out. If MCU2 includes the screen, they aren't going to install/ charge you for the separate single-item screen.

The quote does NOT have the "with replacement touchscreen"

The quote says "infotainment upgrade for pre-ap, ap1, or ap3.0 vehicles(1582613-00-A)"
I have the MCU2 upgrade performed on my mid-2016 MS90D AP1 vehicle in middle of December, 2021. Here is the line item from the invoice for my repair on how they listed this. Here is screenshot showing the exact same part number and description as you quote.

1664403124488.png

I did get the additional radio tuner installed. That's a separate line item on my invoice for an additional $500. Now there is another line item on my invoice for the MCU2 upgrade, but that shows as no cost, but lists the following part numbers.

Part - Quantity

MCU INTEL UPGRADE- 1.00
For TegraAP1.0 -
NORTH AMERICA(9874564-00-A)

MODEL S - TUNER 1.00
UPGRADE KIT - NA BASE(7281911-00-A)

I'm guessing those are the actual part numbers to what was replaced.

I have the MCU2 upgrade performed on my mid-2016 MS90D AP1 vehicle in middle of December, 2021. Here is the line item from the invoice for my repair on how they listed this. Here is screenshot showing the exact same part number and description as you quote.

View attachment 857884
I did get the additional radio tuner installed. That's a separate line item on my invoice for an additional $500. Now there is another line item on my invoice for the MCU2 upgrade, but that shows as no cost, but lists the following part numbers.

Part - Quantity

MCU INTEL UPGRADE- 1.00
For TegraAP1.0 -
NORTH AMERICA(9874564-00-A)

MODEL S - TUNER 1.00
UPGRADE KIT - NA BASE(7281911-00-A)

I'm guessing those are the actual part numbers to what was replaced.
Did they replace the screen or the screen was ok and there was no need to replace the screen ?

It depends what you really want done. If you only want the screen replaced, then that's clearly $750. If you also want MCU2 that may be $1750 or possibly $2500 (really shouldn't though due at least to labor overlap) (then maybe more for radio upgrade)

What you don't want is for the tech to not have the parts they need when they come out. So to cover your bases, maybe leave the quote as written and talk to the tech when they come out. If MCU2 includes the screen, they aren't going to install/ charge you for the separate single-item screen
Did they replace the screen or the screen was ok and there was no need to replace the screen ?

What you don't want is for the tech to not have the parts they need when they come out. So to cover your bases, maybe leave the quote as written and talk to the tech when they come out. If MCU2 includes the screen, they aren't going to install/ charge you for the separate single-item screen.
My main problem is screen glue leak. If the MCU2 replaces the screen then I'd rather spend $1750 and get the latest mcu.

Reactions: brkaus and mongo
My main problem is screen glue leak. If the MCU2 replaces the screen then I'd rather spend $1750 and get the latest mcu.
Then yeah, leave quote as is and clear it up with the tech. If MCU has a display, put that it. No display, screen only. Cuts the labor time down a little (no MCU software update), but doesn't seem like a big inconvenience to installer.

As @PCMc have clearly stated that the change from MCU1 to MCU2 was a unit change (as the part no does match with your quote) and we have learned on the way that Tesla is not performing a board change during this request (as it’s in eMMC recall case). They will change the units out with spare parts that should be a one unit as you have described that the service is planned to be on your site.
I would stick to the MCU change (if this is the request?) as you will get the change of both, main MCU unit and the IC and it will include a labor cost.

As @PCMc have clearly stated that the change from MCU1 to MCU2 was a unit change (as the part no does match with your quote) and we have learned on the way that Tesla is not performing a board change during this request (as it’s in eMMC recall case). They will change the units out with spare parts that should be a one unit as you have described that the service is planned to be on your site.
I would stick to the MCU change (if this is the request?) as you will get the change of both, main MCU unit and the IC and it will include a labor cost.
Thanks.

I've searched a lot of forums and I cannot seems to find the answer and Tesla chat is very unhelpful. My 2014 model S is leaking glue on the main screen. I'm asking service via the app for the fix and they are quoting me ~$750 for the lcd/screen to fix the leak and if I wanted the MCU2 that would be an additional $1750. From what others are reporting, the MCU2 includes the lcd/screen. If I just want to fix the screen then I understand $750. So the question is, why is Tesla quoting me $750 for the lcd screen and $1750 for MCU2 when it seems like MCU2 includes the screen?

Regards
Jason
It is not supposed to be glue. It’s supposed to be some liquid that was sandwiched between the LCD screen and another glass sheet, to enhance viewability from any angle.
They got rid of that sometime after 2016 or so, I think.

It is not supposed to be glue. It’s supposed to be some liquid that was sandwiched between the LCD screen and another glass sheet, to enhance viewability from any angle.
They got rid of that sometime after 2016 or so, I think.
I fixed it myself with a nine dollar tube of silicone gel, meant for electronics, and sealed the space in between the Touchscreen and the bezel and voilà, no leak. and, the bubble seem to be dissipating.

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
Thank you everyone for taking the time to answer!
I don’t know if you saw my reply earlier in the thread, but I wanted to let you know that you can fix this yourself with a nine dollar tube of clear silicon gel meant for electronics. I did this just the other day, and I haven’t seen a single drop since and it looks like the bubbles are dissipating as well. When I talked to Tesla, they said it was a cosmetic issue not a performance issue, so if you’re just trying to stop your car from being cooped up from that liquid and you want to minimize the bubble formation, this little trick Seems to be working

It’s the liquid in the term LCD, which means liquid crystal display
It is indeed a liquid, but it's not "that" liquid when it comes to LCDs. The "L" in LCD refers to the liquid that makes the color in the pixels themselves.

The "goo" that comes out of these screens is a substrate that adheres the various layers of the touch panel display.

Reactions: vcor and mongo
It is indeed a liquid, but it's not "that" liquid when it comes to LCDs. The "L" in LCD refers to the liquid that makes the color in the pixels themselves.

The "goo" that comes out of these screens is a substrate that adheres the various layers of the touch panel display.
Indeed, though to be more precise, the L is the method of polarization control and determines on/off. Color is determined by a filter layer.

Reactions: ucmndd