Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Antonio Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BerTX, how are you seeing what's going on in the building? Every time I drive by, the gate is closed and the whole property is behind that steel fence. Do you park somewhere else and walk?

I drove by late this afternoon and didn't see any signs of progress. The e-watch sign is still up in front of the building.

BerTX, how are you seeing what's going on in the building? Every time I drive by, the gate is closed and the whole property is behind that steel fence. Do you park somewhere else and walk?

I drove by late this afternoon and didn't see any signs of progress. The e-watch sign is still up in front of the building.

Once I was there as the museum folks were moving out and drove through the parking lot. The other times I have parked on the driveway next to the closed barracade.

Searching the permit database is a mess. Part of the problem is that there are numerous ways to describe the street -- it can be I10 or I-10 or IH-10 and can have the W for west at the beginning or the end. I found the sign permit by searching Google for 23011 and Tesla, I think, but using the search engine for permits I could not find anything, including the sign permit. Found a number of old permits for the property, but nothing current and nothing for Tesla.

Wonder if it will be store, SvC, SpC or all three?

It's bigger than a typical "showroom gallery" location, isn't it?

I think we've been expecting (hoping) that it would be all 3, similar to the North Houston location. When they were still working on the location near 1604 & 281, I spoke to a few Tesla people who described the San Antonio location as "Service Plus." This was before North Houston was built so the notion of a service center with multiple customer-accessible Superchargers wasn't really on most people's radar. This new location does appear to have plenty of space.

Also, there's a bit of a gap between Columbus (or Flatonia, or San Marcos) and Junction. So for people who are just passing through along I-10, the San Antonio (Dominion) location is a good place for a Supercharger.

Reactions: BerTX
I do think it would be a good location for a Supercharger. The one thing that is lacking for a Service/Gallery/Supercharger combo is parking space. There is a lovely covered pergola that would be a great place for the Supercharger. However, this location was originally a motorcycle dealership, so there is not as much parking area as one might expect.

Some other Service Centers have off-site parking for vehicles awaiting delivery nearby, so they will probably have to do that here. There is really no room for expansion on the property except for the large unpaved lot next to the entrance for the subdivision next door, which I assume belongs to the subdivision. Maybe they could get a little of that space.

• Informative
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
It is still possible, of course! I suspect the "reconstruction" will be paving the sliver of grass to the north of the parking lot (top of the sat view below). Certainly there is room for a Supercharger there.

upload_2017-1-31_20-39-51.png

Reactions: HillCountryFun
I kept seeing articles that said this location was for SALES. Tesla shows it as a Service Center in everything I have read from them (which isn't much other than a marker in the center of SA).

Turns out they DID get the zoning changed to sales AND service. Excerpt from the August 4, 2016 City Council minutes:

AMENDING CHAPTER 35 OF THE CITY CODE THAT CONSTITUTES THE COMPREHENSIVE ZONING ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF SAN ANTONIO BY CHANGING THE CLASSIFICATION AND REZONING OF CERTAIN PROPERTY DESCRIBED HEREIN AS: 0.704 ACRES OUT OF NCB 18338 TO WIT: FROM "R-6 GC-1 MSAO-l MLOD" RESIDENTIAL SINGLE-FAMIL Y HILL COUNTRY GATEWAY CORRIDOR MILITARY SOUND ATTENUATION OVERLAY MILITARY LIGHTING OVERLAY DISTRICT TO "C-2 CD GC-l MSAO-l MLOD" COMMERCIAL HILL COUNTRY GATEWAY CORRIDOR MILITARY SOUND ATTENUATION MILITARY LIGHTING OVERLAY DISTRICT WITH A CONDITIONAL USE FOR MOTOR VEHICLE SALES (FULL SERVICE).

Not sure what "conditional use" means.

... and we have construction!

IMG_20170217_121900.jpg

Off to the far right they have removed the fencing that was a storage area and it looks like they are leveling it out for paving. Future Supercharger?

They also have removed some of the windows and put up plywood. Too soon to tell if these will be access doors for vehicles (likely) or just blocked off.
IMG_20170217_121916.jpg

They have removed some windows from the side and are bringing in drywall. Likely this will be another garage door for bringing cars into the showroom (assuming there will be sales here).

• Helpful
Reactions: benjiejr and wart