Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salespeople Misinformed About My Inventory Model S Purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless you were present at the sale you can't really say whether or not the terms of the agreed sale were respected and what exactly was agreed upon. Any judgement one way or the other from afar is likely made based on bias than info.

And here on a public forum (which by it's very nature invites comment), we can only go by what information (in this case the OP) is provided to us.

He referred to being assured it was "the current model. I replied to such.

Now if he wants to claim that he got all options that may, or may not, have been announced, that's something different than what the OP decided to bring here to discuss.

The difference being that desktop computers are affordable while also being upgradeable. A Model S is a six figure car that can't be upgraded. Well, technically it could be upgraded but Tesla won't offer those options because they want you to do exactly like people on here suggest and buy a new six figure car every few years, or every few months if you want the latest and greatest.

Reading all these posts about people feeling burned because they got a fully loaded P85 right before the D was announced makes me realize why every other car company releases models on a yearly cycle, at least then you know what you're getting and how long you can expect it to be the latest and greatest. With Tesla, pulling the trigger to purchase a six figure car likely means a few days after delivery it will already be outdated, with no upgrade options available This is something most people aren't used to, especially when spending six figures, so I can easily see why it leaves a bad taste in some people's mouths.

Can anyone reading this honestly say they wouldn't care at all if a new model was announced a few days after they took delivery?

He bought an inventory car. Let's not derail this thread into the same discussion going on in multiple threads across this forum ...

Even with other car models, released annually, there are small changes within the year (that's why there are recalls for specific VINs, not just by the year). When asked if this is the 'latest model', yes, it's the latest model. There is no way a sales person would know that a specific part has been changed from a Rev C to a Rev D, for instance. I think the issue here is that *some* people at the very end received an unexpected surprise, not something that was being sold at the time as part of the model.

In any case, after calling all the sales people liars at a specific store on a public forum, it might be difficult getting their help now. Oh oops. Or they may be delighted to take the car back and not deal with this particular *situation* again.

Can anyone reading this honestly say they wouldn't care at all if a new model was announced a few days after they took delivery?
There is a difference between caring and being angry or demanding or feeling cheated somehow. We would all care and be disappointed with our poor timing, but many of us would understand that's what happens when you buy a tech product, and the fact that is costs a few orders of magnitude more than an iPhone doesn't change that.

Except his/her car was likely produced in May or June or possibly even earlier (only the OP knows). Long before the sensors were being added to cars.

Yes, it depends on exactly what assurance he was given and exactly what timing. By 9/24, that inventory car was no longer current, even if his local service center and sales person has not seen a Model S with the new sensors.

Yes, it depends on exactly what assurance he was given and exactly what timing. By 9/24, that inventory car was no longer current, even if his local service center and sales person has not seen a Model S with the new sensors.

But it was current with the "Model S" and whatever battery/performance level he/she bought. The sensors were a yet unannounced feature addition just being released into production when he/she picked up their car produced months earlier. Like posted above, with buying an inventory car, there are pros and cons. One can't expect a 3+ month old car to have every feature being produced on the production line now.

On 9/24 I finalized a purchase on an inventory Model S 85kw. On 9/26, I picked up the car. Multiple salespeople assured me it was the current model. Now with the announcement of autopilot, it has become apparant that deliveries made after 9/19 included the new hardware.

While it's more than likely possible that the salespeople we unaware of this, it does not change the fact that I made a purchase decision to buy the car (having been misinformed), AFTER the new hardware was being delivered.

Will Tesla do anything to fix this? I was lied to and as a long time supporter of Tesla ($20 per share investor) - I hope they fix this!

is anyone else in the same situation?

You finalized your inventory vehicle purchase on 9/24 and took delivery on 9/26. Tesla told you it was the current model, and it was. The new model was not announced until 10/9. You also purchased an inventory Model S which was likely manufactured a few months ago. An inventory car is a USED car. Tesla owes you nothing. If you really wanted a new model with specific features, you wouldn't have purchased an inventory car and you would have waited. Tesla, like other companies, is under no obligation to disclose what is in their product pipeline. That information is in non-disclosure territory and something a customer would not be entitled to.

It's too bad that this happened, but that's just life. Time moves forward.

No they were never standard. They won't be on your car unless if you have paid for the new tech package. There were maybe a few who got a freebie during the transition period but are you going to cry foul because some got freebies and you don't?

No. The sensors are standard.

Here is teslamotors.com on 60 kW Tesla Model S: "Model S comes standard with a forward looking camera, radar, and 360-degree ultrasonic sensors that actively monitor the surrounding roadway... Safety features, today and in the future, are included in every Model S with Autopilot hardware. Convenience features will be included in the Tech Package."

- - - Updated - - -

Anybody listening to Tesla knows that they are continuously upgrading their car's design. This should be spelled out in their purchase contract if it is not already.

I was told 18 months ago that this was coming. No surprise here!

The question returns to what information did he ask for and what did he receive (plus when did the AutoPilot and associated changes roll in as standard feature). If he was making sure, through the sales people, that this inventory model is the same as is rolling out now from the factory, then he may have a case because significant changes to the car's model had been made.

If he didn't, or if the factory changed things after his sale, then he of course may not have a case.

That's a good point. The sensors come with the new and more expensive tech package that includes autopilot. Op did not pay for that option just like any other options not on the car. What's the point of the complain?

He didn't say what he paid for. The price of the old tech package and parking sensors together was the same as the price of the new tech package alone. A person who would have bought a car without the tech package but with parking sensors will now pay $500 less than before. A person who would have bought both would break even. If the car has the tech package but not the parking sensors, then it cost the OP less than the current versions being produced and he didn't get what he didn't pay for.

Technically it's the same model. It's a 2014 Model S. Had the new tech package truly been a new feature, meaning the old one was still offered at the old price, then their argument would have been correct. But since I wasn't there I can't say what went down.

It's not even a matter of whether it was an inventory car. I put down a deposit, but signed the purchase agreement and made payment on the day I picked up my car. So that was the actual date of sale. In my case, the build started on the 20th. On the day I purchased my car, the price of the tech package was the same. I ordered parking sensors, but people who ordered the tech package without the sensors got the same car. Tesla stated publicly that their sales model assures that all customers pay the same for all cars with the same configuration, which certainly wasn't true on the day I bought my car. It's not that I plan to sue them or bitch over the fact that I would have gotten the same thing even if I hadn't ordered the parking sensors, but the purchase date for anybody is the date they sign the purchase agreement. Everything before that is based on a reservation agreement or order agreement. That carries with it a non-refundable deposit. Had I purchased any car when the OP did, whether I had reserved it months in advance or not, I would have expected a car with the new features or I would have forfeited my deposit. It wouldn't have made Tesla right or wrong for giving me what I ordered though. By that date, all Tesla employees should have been aware of the new hardware, even though most DSs on the east coast may have never seen it. It all comes down to what was said and I have no idea what that is. The OP could hire a lawyer, and Tesla most likely wouldn't admit to doing anything wrong, but might allow the OP to buy a different car as a goodwill gesture. Just don't expect to get a car for at least a few months.

Hmm, a single post from the OP and no follow-up. The thing about an inventory car is that you do know the spec, there's no surprises. Obviously over the past month some people have had some nice surprises with new stuff being added to factory orders, but with an inventory model that just doesn't happen, it's no different to buying a 'demo' from a regular dealership; you know it's not new, but you pay a reduced price. Not sure there's anything to see here, but would agree the OP should discuss it with Tesla, although maybe change the subject of this thread first, it might encourage them be more inclined to help.

If he didn't, or if the factory changed things after his sale, then he of course may not have a case.

And he'd know if he had a case or not IF he'd talked to the sales people first -- before coming here and calling them liars.

And of course, there are other fine details. What does his contract say? Did he specify that in writing? Is an inventory car sold with the contractual understanding that it may NOT be exactly the same as *new*?

They did not actually lie, but they did tell you some half-truths when they said the inventory car was the latest and greatest. They likely did not know about the announcement like many posters have commented above. I had a similar issue with the color of the headliner being beige when I ordered the black interior with the performance seat upgrade. The test drive car was beige interior so I did not note that it would also be beige in a black car. The design studio showed it being beige and I still ignored it. The SC was very helpful, and for a nominal cost, I could change to the black alcantara headliner including switching all of the usual features. Still can't tell if I met production date cut offs but unlikely since I took delivery Sept 27th in Seattle.

85 kWh | New Grey | BlackPerformance Leather Seats | Gloss Obeche | Pano Roof | Tech Pac | Dual + HPWC | Fog Lamps | Parking Sensors | Parcel Shelf | Sub Zero | Ultra High Fidelity | Interior Lighting | Alcantara Headliner (beige originally, SC switch to black) | Paint Armor | 19" With primacy upgrade |VIN: 52709 | Confirmed: 09/10/14 |Delivered: 09/27/14

Hmm, a single post from the OP and no follow-up. The thing about an inventory car is that you do know the spec, there's no surprises. Obviously over the past month some people have had some nice surprises with new stuff being added to factory orders, but with an inventory model that just doesn't happen, it's no different to buying a 'demo' from a regular dealership; you know it's not new, but you pay a reduced price. Not sure there's anything to see here, but would agree the OP should discuss it with Tesla, although maybe change the subject of this thread first, it might encourage them be more inclined to help.

Sure, in an inventory car there are no surprises for a knowledgeable purchaser. But if he was demonstrably relying on the sales people's knowledge on making decisions about the, er, currentness of the vehicle, then he may have a case. Say, something like, "OK, I'll buy this inventory car, but are you sure it is exactly the same as is rolling now from the factory?" and a dealer says yes after AutoPilot became standard, then he could have a case.

Of course, it is also possible he doesn't have a case. We don't know the particulars at any level approaching well enough.

Hi, @Valkryst,

I'm not sure I follow your logic.

You purchased an inventory car, which means it was built sometime in July or August (or maybe even June).

As of 9/24 or even 9/26, there was no publicly advertised configuration that anyone could point to and say that it had features you didn't know about.

As of 9/24 or even 9/26, there were extensive conversations in this forum as people tried to figure out whether the factory was shipping hardware that people hadn't seen before (sensors and whatnot). Many of those conversations pointed out that the sales people themselves didn't know that there were new bits and pieces being delivered to some folks!

You can't even take delivery of the new hardware today; earliest is December and, in your case, if you were looking at an S85D, February 2015.

So from my point of view, "salespeople lied" is a title that is inaccurate, unfair and in all likelihood just plain wrong. You should fix the title.

Furthermore, "blaming" Tesla in some way for shipping new hardware pieces unannounced is a strange position to be in. When's the last time that you know of a big company, in any business, shipping *more* than a customer originally paid for? It's a nice surprise... even a *gift*!

I think many people are struggling with this behavior because they don't see it from other companies and can't wrap their heads around some "lucky" set of customers getting "gifts"! So the next step of that particular logic chain is, "I been screwed because I didn't get the same gift and/or didn't know that changes were coming!"

Well... you got a great car. You got the car you were promised. You got a great deal on it as an inventory car! I bet those sales people tried really hard to give you good advice about the car, and none of them are compensated on commission, so they didn't benefit directly from selling you that car.

I bet many people purchasing around the same time you did wished that they had known about the upcoming D option. I would absolutely say that Tesla needs to think about how to communicate major impending vehicle options, so that as many people as possible can feel good about what they are buying or plan to buy. But I would also argue that it's way cool for this company to bring new features to the table as soon as they're ready(*), rather than artificially dividing things up into model years. Way cool, too, that they'll even ship some of those features effectively as gifts to some lucky customers.

I'm sorry you feel ill done by, and hope that with the passage of time and the experience of owning and driving your S85 you'll appreciate that you've benefited from a company with an unusually simple and straightforward sales process; an excellent product; and, if ever you need it, exceptional service.

Alan

(*)Speaking of when the feature is ready.... if you've been reading these forums, I think you will appreciate how unlikely it is that the Autopilot features will be available in the field swiftly over the next few months. No matter how Elon phrased it, Tesla's past performance on software rollouts suggests to me that Autopilot should be viewed as a journey that will take a year or more to deliver what was promised at the announcement.

On 9/24 I finalized a purchase on an inventory Model S 85kw. On 9/26, I picked up the car. Multiple salespeople assured me it was the current model. Now with the announcement of autopilot, it has become apparant that deliveries made after 9/19 included the new hardware.

While it's more than likely possible that the salespeople we unaware of this, it does not change the fact that I made a purchase decision to buy the car (having been misinformed), AFTER the new hardware was being delivered.

Will Tesla do anything to fix this? I was lied to and as a long time supporter of Tesla ($20 per share investor) - I hope they fix this!

is anyone else in the same situation?

He didn't say what he paid for. The price of the old tech package and parking sensors together was the same as the price of the new tech package alone. A person who would have bought a car without the tech package but with parking sensors will now pay $500 less than before. A person who would have bought both would break even. If the car has the tech package but not the parking sensors, then it cost the OP less than the current versions being produced and he didn't get what he didn't pay for.

Technically it's the same model. It's a 2014 Model S. Had the new tech package truly been a new feature, meaning the old one was still offered at the old price, then their argument would have been correct. But since I wasn't there I can't say what went down.

It's not even a matter of whether it was an inventory car. I put down a deposit, but signed the purchase agreement and made payment on the day I picked up my car. So that was the actual date of sale. In my case, the build started on the 20th. On the day I purchased my car, the price of the tech package was the same. I ordered parking sensors, but people who ordered the tech package without the sensors got the same car. Tesla stated publicly that their sales model assures that all customers pay the same for all cars with the same configuration, which certainly wasn't true on the day I bought my car. It's not that I plan to sue them or bitch over the fact that I would have gotten the same thing even if I hadn't ordered the parking sensors, but the purchase date for anybody is the date they sign the purchase agreement. Everything before that is based on a reservation agreement or order agreement. That carries with it a non-refundable deposit. Had I purchased any car when the OP did, whether I had reserved it months in advance or not, I would have expected a car with the new features or I would have forfeited my deposit. It wouldn't have made Tesla right or wrong for giving me what I ordered though. By that date, all Tesla employees should have been aware of the new hardware, even though most DSs on the east coast may have never seen it. It all comes down to what was said and I have no idea what that is. The OP could hire a lawyer, and Tesla most likely wouldn't admit to doing anything wrong, but might allow the OP to buy a different car as a goodwill gesture. Just don't expect to get a car for at least a few months.

You got me so confused. You know exactly what you have purchased when you made the selection and clicked the buy button don't you? When you signed a contract for a house and found out there is a better one down the street you can't just void the contract you signed without penalty, No? Looking at it from the other angle you think the seller can ignore the contract and sell the house if a higher bidder comes in? Or Tesla can tell you to pay more when there is a price increase after you signed the contract? Besides op bought an inventory car so all your confusing arguments just don't apply.

Salespeople Lied About My Model S Purchase

On 9/24 I finalized a purchase on an inventory Model S 85kw. On 9/26, I picked up the car. Multiple salespeople assured me it was the current model.

It was the "current" model, which is the Model S.

And you described it as an "inventory" car. So it was a used demo vehicle?

If so, it was built months ago. Tesla doesn't sell demo vehicles that are just a few weeks old.

No one "lied" to you. You bought a used Model S that was built before the recent changes.