Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ranger Service Going Away?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new 10 mile radius for free valet service seems to be a company-wide policy, with the same change reported in Miami, San Rafael and here in Toronto.

Personally I don't think it's a big deal to drop off the car and pick up a loaner. It's still much better service than I've ever seen from any other car company!

I'm inclined to agree, but then I'm a 5 minute drive from a Service Center. To be honest, I fully anticipated and expected this. I often wondered how the personalized, over-the-top service that Roadster and early Model S owners enjoyed when there were only small numbers on the road would scale out when sales picked up.

I sent the following email to Jerome earlier today:

Hello Dr. Guillen,

I just learned in the forums that valet service is being limited to a 10 mile radius of the service center, and valet service outside of that circle will cost $100. I live 50 miles from Scottsdale service. The availability of valet service gave me the confidence to order my Model S in 2013.

I do understand that the fleet has grown tremendously since then, but I can't help but feel that certain service benefits are slowly being taken away. Those who are 50 miles away need valet service much more than those within 10 miles. Wouldn't it make more sense to retain free valet service to those who are 11-50 miles from the service center, who really need it, and charge $100 to those within 10 miles who can easily drive their car to service? Those closest to the service center need valet the least, so charging them will encourage them to bring their car to service.

As the fleet grows, obviously you need to make adjustments, but I would hope one of those adjustments is to add more service centers to help bridge the distance gap. Please try to keep us "early" owners in your thoughts when making policy changes. This kind of change does not feel good.

Thank you.

I'm getting confused. Isn't the Ranger service where the mechanic comes to your home/office and services the car right there? And that service was never free and was always $100 minimum (plus $1 per mile over 100 miles) as far back as the roadster days (although when Tesla introduced service plans there was a prepaid option that bundled it in, but was quickly removed):
http://my.teslamotors.com/de_DE/node/3899
http://my.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/ranger-service-plan-no-longer-available-purchase

Valet service is something different where they drive a loaner to your house and drive the car back to the service center. Valet was always free, but always had a 50 mile limit.

I'm getting confused. Isn't the Ranger service where the mechanic comes to your home/office and services the car right there? And that service was never free and was always $100 minimum (plus $1 per mile over 100 miles) as far back as the roadster days (although when Tesla introduced service plans there was a prepaid option that bundled it in, but was quickly removed):
http://my.teslamotors.com/de_DE/node/3899
http://my.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/ranger-service-plan-no-longer-available-purchase

Valet service is something different where they drive a loaner to your house and drive the car back to the service center. Valet was always free, but always had a 50 mile limit.

And the 50 mile limit for valet service is being reduced to 10 miles. Not happy.

I recently had the 12V battery replaced in my S after 14 months of ownership. Although I am just 10 miles from my local service center a Tesla service guy came to my house and replaced the battery, no charge. I thought that was pretty nice.

And the service guy used to work for Mercedes but moved to TSLA because he is excited about EVs.

Curious to know how this affects customer in Manitoba or Saskatchewan who are hundreds if not thousands of miles to the nearest store or service center???

Not Sure. I live 460 miles from the nearest service centre but haven't had a reason to send the car off or have a ranger out yet in the 7 months of ownership. I'll be setting up the annual service in few months but I know the Minneapolis service centre basically told me when I bought it that they would come out with a loaner/car trailer for the annual service since there is no way i could drive it to Minneapolis at this point (I do own a truck and a car trailer but that feels silly for me to have to trailer the Tesla down myself).

Guess I'll find out in a few months. Hope it hasn't change from what they told me. Was one of the primary reason I felt better buying a Tesla up here as opposed to other luxury brands with no dealership support.

Guess I'll find out in a few months. Hope it hasn't change from what they told me. Was one of the primary reason I felt better buying a Tesla up here as opposed to other luxury brands with no dealership support.

I'd be concerned, too. It might be worth calling the SC directly and confirming that your original understanding will remain intact. Thanks for the report.

I sent the following email to Jerome earlier today:

Hello Dr. Guillen,

I just learned in the forums that valet service is being limited to a 10 mile radius of the service center, and valet service outside of that circle will cost $100. I live 50 miles from Scottsdale service. The availability of valet service gave me the confidence to order my Model S in 2013.

I do understand that the fleet has grown tremendously since then, but I can't help but feel that certain service benefits are slowly being taken away. Those who are 50 miles away need valet service much more than those within 10 miles. Wouldn't it make more sense to retain free valet service to those who are 11-50 miles from the service center, who really need it, and charge $100 to those within 10 miles who can easily drive their car to service? Those closest to the service center need valet the least, so charging them will encourage them to bring their car to service.

As the fleet grows, obviously you need to make adjustments, but I would hope one of those adjustments is to add more service centers to help bridge the distance gap. Please try to keep us "early" owners in your thoughts when making policy changes. This kind of change does not feel good.

Thank you.

Thanks AmpedRealtor. Nice letter. Be interested to see his response.

This was the first email to Jerome that has gone without reply. Apparently Tesla wishes to remain silent on this subject.

Good letter, AmpedRealtor. Hopefully Jerome will respond. On the other hand, when Tesla execs decide to engage in stupid, self-destructive policies, they also generally stop returning emails and phone calls, in my experience. :-(

So Tesla will never sell cars in Ithaca and you definitely won't get a Service Center anywhere near you. Yup, that's make sense.:rolleyes:

Yes, it does make sense, and if you can't see why, try turning your brain on.

Yes, Tesla will stop selling cars in Ithaca (and Buffalo, and Rochester, and Syracuse, etc.) if this is seriously the new policy. Maybe they simply do not care; they're still production-constrained, it's a small market, etc. The question everyone asks when I show off my Tesla is "but where do you get it serviced", with the clear implication that they won't buy it if the service center is too far away. (Which it is, at 200 miles.)

I have been explaining that I paid a little extra so that Tesla picks the car up and brings it back; everyone's very impressed and open to buying the car. Now I will have to say "But Tesla doesn't offer that any more," and they will decide that it's unsafe to buy the car. (Tesla is still obliged to give me free ranger/valet service for the full 8 years, because I have a contract with them, but they aren't making it available to anyone else.)

The correct policy would be for Tesla to offer unlimited valet service (perhaps as an extra-charge option) to people who are farther than a certain distance (say > 60 miles) from the nearest service center. We're the ones who need it.

Oh, and I've been asking Tesla repeatedly when they'll get a service center in Ithaca, Binghamton, or Syracuse. The answer has always been "manana", or equivalent. I don't think it's happening any time soon. Even if I get lucky, there are vast swathes of the country where there will continue to be no Tesla service centers (but lots of car dealers and service centers for every other car) -- unless Tesla builds several hundred service centers very quickly, which they have not done and are not doing now.

The individual service people have all been very good. But that doesn't make the central office policies competent. Less cheerleading, please.

Last edited:
I tend to agree with Neroden. Ranger and Valet service are important. If they are cut off it gives the impression that Tesla is in dire straits financially. One of the reasons I purchased the car was the service experience of Roadster owners. Now I'm not far from a Service Centre, so this reduction of service doesn't really affect me, but if I lived a bit further (say in Fort Worth), it would definitely put a damper on purchasing.

I just have to add the note that in bad winter weather, 200 miles exceeds the range of the Model S. As a result, at this distance from the service center, the trip is *very long*. Ranger or Valet Service is basically mandatory for any service center trip in winter.

And of course Ranger or Valet service is mandatory if the car can't be driven. (I supposedly have towing insurance to the nearest authorized shop from my insurance company, but I suspect if I ever use it for a 200-mile tow, my insurance company will cancel the insurance.)

I propose that Tesla change their policy to the following:

(1) If your car is not driveable for any warrantied reason, we will provide free Ranger, Valet, or towing service (it is at Tesla's discretion whether to supply a Ranger or a Valet or tow truck). Period. Included with warranty.
(2) For a one-time fixed cost, you may purchase unlimited Ranger/Valet service (it is at Tesla's discretion whether to supply a Ranger or a Valet) to cover your car when it is out of reasonable range of a Service Center. If you buy this, future Ranger/Valet service will be free for all warranty issues and for any annual service appointments, but you can only use it if your car is garaged more than 100 miles from the nearest service center.

This would deal with the main problems which come from lack of unlimited Ranger service. It would eliminate the high usage of Ranger service by people who really could just drive to the Service Center, while maintaining peace of mind for the cases where Ranger service is the only thing providing peace of mind.

No one has said ranger service is going away-- just that you have to pay $100 for it. If your Chevy breaks down in a remote area, you'll pay at least that and probably more.

This is an interesting topic I think when contemplating a road trip in a Tesla.

A quick look at the the service center map:
http://www.teslamotors.com/findus#/bounds/49.38,-66.94,25.82,-124.38999999999999,d?search=service,
might give some pause to anyone considering visiting Yellowstone, Glacier National Park, The Grand Tetons, etc. A problem anywhere in the upper Midwest could be pretty serious.

The question everyone asks when I show off my Tesla is "but where do you get it serviced", with the clear implication that they won't buy it if the service center is too far away. (Which it is, at 200 miles.)

I have been explaining that I paid a little extra so that Tesla picks the car up and brings it back; everyone's very impressed and open to buying the car. Now I will have to say "But Tesla doesn't offer that any more," and they will decide that it's unsafe to buy the car.

In fact isn't Tesla still offering the service, if you pay for it on a per use basis? Unless I'm not understanding it correctly your objection would only be that you can't prepay for the service, and it might end up costing more if you need it frequently.

No one has said ranger service is going away-- just that you have to pay $100 for it. If your Chevy breaks down in a remote area, you'll pay at least that and probably more.

Not exactly. They might charge you more, now. From Support | Tesla Motors:

Tesla Ranger service may be available in your area. Service begins at $100 per visit and increases based on your distance from the nearest Tesla service center.

Well, even with my East Coast bias, I don't think that say Billings, Mt is all that remote and it's over 500mi from the nearest service center. I'm pretty sure there's a Chevy dealer quite a bit closer.
There's also no guarantee that Ranger service is even available there or what it might cost if it were. The minimum charge is $100, not the maximum and according to the Tesla support site, not all areas are covered.