Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ranger Service Going Away?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in Toledo and my closest service center is in Cleveland, about 2 hours away. I have a ranger coming out to fix a GPS issue and I'm not being charged for it. I would be awfully unhappy if this policy were to change! Would have been difficult to justify buying a car that requires a 4 hour round trip for service.

The most recent post here is Aug 2015...I'm looking for an update.
At the Scottsdale Gallery, the test driver said (Mar, 2016) something like - "there is a Ranger headquartered in Tucson and there are plans to build a SC there soon."
I don't know how to find out if this has any substance. Someone - show me how to search for correct answers. I am not looking to change any policy, or to argue what should/should not be that policy...just what it is. Help!!

The most recent post here is Aug 2015...I'm looking for an update.
At the Scottsdale Gallery, the test driver said (Mar, 2016) something like - "there is a Ranger headquartered in Tucson and there are plans to build a SC there soon."
I don't know how to find out if this has any substance. Someone - show me how to search for correct answers. I am not looking to change any policy, or to argue what should/should not be that policy...just what it is. Help!!

May, 2016, 240mile Ranger visit at TM’s insistance (we had a later date planned, they did not want it to go that long).

I believe the policy changed (again?) shortly before I bought my car. I was told that for warranty service (4 years, 50,000 miles) if the car was driveable it was my responsibility to get it to the Service Center. If the car is not driveable they will have it towed up to 500 miles without charge:

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/Roadside_Policy_NA.pdf

Towing
For vehicle malfunctions due to warrantable issues, transportation services are covered by Tesla for the first 500 miles (800 km) to the nearest Tesla Service Center. You are responsible for transportation costs beyond 500 miles (800 km) or any additional transportation from such locations to any additional location.

It is your responsibility to provide vehicle transporters with the instructions provided in your vehicles Quick Guide, and to ensure that your vehicle is transported appropriately. You may call the Roadside Assistance number (877-798-3752) for assistance with proper towing procedures.

FWIW.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
I believe the policy changed (again?) shortly before I bought my car. I was told that for warranty service (4 years, 50,000 miles) if the car was driveable it was my responsibility to get it to the Service Center. If the car is not driveable they will have it towed up to 500 miles without charge:

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/Roadside_Policy_NA.pdf

FWIW.
So I read into that ---the Ranger program is myth. If my headliner/trim/display etc is on the fritz, there is not a chance to have a trained mechanic show up a hundred miles away from the Service Center. This contradicts what the local guy said, but confirms what Ive seen in official documents.

Not the answer I wanted, but the answer I expected.

I suppose I can hope that there will be a future SC and Ranger located in my hometown. Santa exists, right?

So I read into that ---the Ranger program is myth. If my headliner/trim/display etc is on the fritz, there is not a chance to have a trained mechanic show up a hundred miles away from the Service Center. This contradicts what the local guy said, but confirms what Ive seen in official documents.

Not the answer I wanted, but the answer I expected.

I suppose I can hope that there will be a future SC and Ranger located in my hometown. Santa exists, right?
I really don't know what's up with the ranger program nowadays. Used to be free then it was a charge per one-way miles. Now, at least for warranty service, transport is free for 500 miles if the car is undriveable. I was quite pleased with this development because I am 330 miles — plus a whole lot of mountains — from the nearest Service Center. By my standards Tucson is very close to the Scottsdale SC, so no big deal having to go there for service.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Service Center appear in Tucson in a few years, it being a fairly sizeable city and university town. Where I live? Not a chance!