Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity & Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really don’t get the fuss over the browser. I see some people are using it for Waze. Anything else? You’d really pay $120/year just for the browser??

its not worth $120/yr for it to work on its own. but, if it worked at least that is an additoonal outlet for actually using data.. ive never been able to browse anything, let alone tesla waze. i think twice it loaded Tesla's website in 3 months and that's it

Putting the video aspects of the package aside would the streaming and satellite imagery work if the car is hotspotted to a cell phone? Or is there some flag that gets set depending on the actual connectivity package that is enabled regardless if on WiFi or not while the car is moving? I guess we won't know if this is an option to get around this until someones premium connectivity expires.

You should read a copy of your ACTUAL battery warranty document. Here is what mine said for my 2013 P85 (which I bought in 2016, after the blog post you mention) So the post never extended the warranty of those original S60s.

Its such a mess. I don't have an S60, but Elon did send this out back in Aug 2014:
excerpt from marketing email from Elon said:
Infinite Mile Warranty

The Tesla Model S drive unit warranty has been increased to match that of the battery pack. That means the 85 kWh Model S, our most popular model by far, now has an 8 year, infinite mile warranty on both the battery pack and drive unit. There is also no limit on the number of owners during the warranty period.

Moreover, the warranty extension will apply retroactively to all Model S vehicles ever produced. In hindsight, this should have been our policy from the beginning of the Model S program. If we truly believe that electric motors are fundamentally more reliable than gasoline engines, with far fewer moving parts and no oily residue or combustion byproducts to gum up the works, then our warranty policy should reflect that.

So, he said retro to ALL model S. Of course, he also said my AP1 car would drop me off at the mall entrance and then find a parking spot too, so there is that...

[Edit: I went back and read the beginning of the email and he does say: ...the 85 kWh Model S now has an 8 year, infinite mile warranty on both the battery pack and drive unit. Moreover, the warranty extension will apply retroactively to all 85 kWh Model S vehicles ever produced... So, even that one marketing email was inconsistent.]

Problem is what do you get for that $120 if you have an MCU1 car? Charging used MCU1 owners $120 a year for live traffic and sat maps is kind of excessive.
bought my 2016 90D in october 2019.. logging in to my account, my premium connectivity expires 12 months from my purchase date so oct, 2020. so, at least getting full year of it unlike some posting here. they aren't getting $10 a month from me... doesn't make sense for a MCU1 car especially.. maybe if they fix the browser? :)
Putting the video aspects of the package aside would the streaming and satellite imagery work if the car is hotspotted to a cell phone? Or is there some flag that gets set depending on the actual connectivity package that is enabled regardless if on WiFi or not while the car is moving? I guess we won't know if this is an option to get around this until someones premium connectivity expires.

sat images won’t work according to the chart. Streaming audio will. Not sure if we will have the free slacker subscription but I pay for Spotify anyway.

Its such a mess. I don't have an S60, but Elon did send this out back in Aug 2014:

So, he said retro to ALL model S. Of course, he also said my AP1 car would drop me off at the mall entrance and then find a parking spot too, so there is that...

[Edit: I went back and read the beginning of the email and he does say: ...the 85 kWh Model S now has an 8 year, infinite mile warranty on both the battery pack and drive unit. Moreover, the warranty extension will apply retroactively to all 85 kWh Model S vehicles ever produced... So, even that one marketing email was inconsistent.]

I don’t see the inconsistency?

Regarding AP1 dropping you off and finding a parking spot...isn’t it amazing they (and we) thought it would be possible for this to happen with absolutely no side or rear cameras?

This is the $120/year question. If I didn’t have unlimited connectivity I would definitely hotspot to my phone.

I'm not too worried about it. I'm aware of what this says but my local sc and mobile ranger confirmed I have a drive unit and battery warranty until june 2021 which would be 8 years and unlimited mileage. My battery is a 75kwh pack from 2017 so I'm personally not too concerned as I haven't lost any range in almost 1 year.

Inconsistency is one thing Elon and tesla do consistently.

Hopefully you will be good for the next two years. This person with an S60 ended up with the limited mile warranty and wasn’t so lucky. First out of warranty repair I have seen so far. $11k for the fix doesn’t seem that bad considering we have seen battery prices at $21k on the S.
What to do?!?!? 2013 Model S 60 Battery fail