Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Premium Connectivity & Warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those that don't want to click on above link:

Infinite Mile Warranty
Elon Musk, CEOAugust 15, 2014
The Tesla Model S drive unit warranty has been increased to match that of the battery pack. That means the 85 kWh Model S, our most popular model by far, now has an 8 year, infinite mile warranty on both the battery pack and drive unit. There is also no limit on the number of owners during the warranty period.

Moreover, the warranty extension will apply retroactively to all Model S vehicles ever produced. In hindsight, this should have been our policy from the beginning of the Model S program. If we truly believe that electric motors are fundamentally more reliable than gasoline engines, with far fewer moving parts and no oily residue or combustion byproducts to gum up the works, then our warranty policy should reflect that.

To investors in Tesla, I must acknowledge that this will have a moderately negative effect on Tesla earnings in the short term, as our warranty reserves will necessarily have to increase above current levels. This is amplified by the fact that we are doing so retroactively, not just for new customers. However, by doing the right thing for Tesla vehicle owners at this early stage of our company, I am confident that it will work out well in the long term.

– Elon

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Connectivity

Do I need to purchase Premium Connectivity?Tesla Account.

Note: You may have access to a Premium Connectivity trial for one year beginning on the date of delivery.

If you ordered your car on or before June 30, 2018, you will automatically have access to existing Premium Connectivity features at no cost for the lifetime of the car and do not need to subscribe. As additional features and services become available in the future, you will have the option to upgrade connectivity plans from your Tesla Account.

Who is eligible for a Premium Connectivity subscription?
All Model S, Model X and Model 3 ordered after July 1, 2018 can subscribe to Premium Connectivity. All cars ordered on or before June 30, 2018 receive Premium Connectivity automatically for the lifetime of the car.

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
Gotta be a mistake on the Warranty. They cannot retroactively change the Warranty Terms on cars that have already been purchased. Moving forward? Yes. Telling owners that their 8 year, Unlimited Miles is now 8 year, 120,000 miles? No way they can legally do that.

I took a screenshot of that for posterity in case this isn’t a mistake. I guarantee someone will start a Class Action if they try to retroactively change the Warranty on already purchased cars.

Reactions: outdoors
Can anyone confirm the policy on “premium” connectivity? I purchased my 2015 used in June of 2019, and this is showing as expiring Dec 2019, not even the alleged one complementary year.

What on Earth is wrong with this company with the constantly moving goalposts??

Reactions: FunSecured
Connectivity

Note: You may have access to a Premium Connectivity trial for one year beginning on the date of delivery.

If you ordered your car on or before June 30, 2018, you will automatically have access to existing Premium Connectivity features at no cost for the lifetime of the car and do not need to subscribe. As additional features and services become available in the future, you will have the option to upgrade connectivity plans from your Tesla Account.

All Model S, Model X and Model 3 ordered after July 1, 2018 can subscribe to Premium Connectivity. All cars ordered on or before June 30, 2018 receive Premium Connectivity automatically for the lifetime of the car.

I wonder when that page was created or updated? I don't see a date on it. Also, doesn't seem like there is any previous history of that page archived before today: Wayback Machine

Both our 2017 S and 2018 X now state 8-year, 120,000 mile battery/motor warranty. They used to say unlimited miles.

The 2017 S has unlimited premium connectivity, but we did just today receive an e-mail about our 2018 X switching to a $10/mo pay service to retain premium connectivity (which is everything other than basic mapping service).

The 120,000 mile warranty issue is not right though. I'm sure that will have to switch back to unlimited for S and X as there are hundreds of thousands of owners who have it in writing.

I think some would say you’re not really an early adopter since you bought the car used after July 2018.
Honestly it would be a tough decision for me to pay for the service. My LTE reception is not great in the car while my phone’s reception is always much better. It’s still not clear to me whether you can hotspot the car to your phone and still have access to the features without paying the monthly fee.

Apologies, I did not mean to imply I’m an early adopter... I do not consider myself an early adopter, I was making the point for they people who went on a limb to buy these cars within the first few years.

Reactions: rsg123
Did you read my above post?

yes. I reviewed the link and it’s actually the problem. There was no mention of this when I purchased the car early this year. I bought the car with the expectation that I would keep the satellite maps, traffic visualization, and streaming slacker. They are effectively taking away features of my car without disclosure and I’m pretty pissed about it.

Connectivity

Im so confused. So does this mean that my 2014 that I bought used in March of 2019 will have premium connectivity for the life of the car?

The blog post you posted was when they added the drive units to the 8 year warranty (prior to that the drive units were only covered under the basic warranty). The original S60 always had a mileage limit on its battery warranty.
Read it again. It says

Moreover, the warranty extension will apply retroactively to all Model S vehicles ever produced. In hindsight, this should have been our policy from the beginning of the Model S program