Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Power limited Yellow lines

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed now twice in my new to me P85. Last weekend I was on the freeway and when I accelerated moderately I had the yellow limiting line show up around 300kw. It would disappear after a while. SOC was around 20-30%, and I could make this happen pretty much on demand the few times I tried it. Air temp was around 60-70 from what I remember , this was Saturday afternoon.

This morning I started my car from my garage which was 61 degrees, SOC was 35 and the yellow limit lines showed up again around 300kw and stayed for the whole drive of almost 2 hours. I didn't do any hard accelerations at all since the freeway was pretty packed. I super charged my car new destination while I had breakfast and when I exited car I got a warning that performance would be limited if battery got cooler, battery was at 10%. Came back later to the car charged to 77% and didn't get any more warnings or limit lines.

I've seen some people say they saw limit lines when low SOC, but I think it was <10%

It all depends on a bunch of things.

• Low SOC
  • Not so low SOC but still somewhat low combined with low temp
  • High temp (like above 118F)
Is range mode by any chance on? Too low or too high temps are more likely to occur with range mode on.

Nothing you've said seems out of the ordinary.

....yellow limiting line show up around 300kw...SOC was around 20-30%...

30% is quite low for my taste. I don't see anything wrong with the yellow power limiting line with such a severely suboptimal SOC for drag racing acceleration.

...SOC was 35 and the yellow limit lines showed up again around 300kw and stayed for the whole drive of almost 2 hours...

I don't see why such low SOC is often cited. It's not a good practice to keep such a low SOC. I would understand that can happen when you are on a long trip and need to get to the next charging station, but low SOC should not be a practice in city driving.

Anyhow, I don't see anything wrong for yellow power limiting line in low SOC just to warn you that you can accelerate but you won't get all that power if you do.

...performance would be limited if battery got cooler, battery was at 10%...

That's completely normal to get less performance with a battery in colder weather. It's just physics. I don't see anything wrong with that.

If you want performance, you need optimal temperature.

...I've seen some people say they saw limit lines when low SOC, but I think it was <10%

Yikes! What's this obsession about low SOC? It's just asking for troubles!

Reactions: Kbra
No obsession with it. Doing a couple full charges to calibrate the system. Car was initially about 220 miles at max charge, and after a couple cycles I see 244 max now. Generally I run from 20-80% Finally got to my connector, battery was about 90 degrees, SOC was at 70, this is after I parked in the garage a couple hours ago.

Was not doing any drag racing. Just noticed the limit line was showing the whole 2 hour for the 55 mile morning drive. Don't think I exceeded 50 mph. No quick starts, pretty much just crawling in traffic. I think the max power used anytime this morning was 80 kw, never really exceed 40-60 much.

Used to having a small battery, I've had a few times in the past where I got home with 1 mile remaining in my previous ev's. Now I never had less than 20 miles remaining, and that's the capacity of my first plug-in Hybrid.

I was just searching other post and saw people generally had limit lines show up when battery was low (about 10% or less)

I was not planning to drive much today so I didn't charge last night, last minute drive to work. 35% in this car is more total capacity I've had in my last few EV's.

...20-80%...

This is my understanding: If I don't drive much, it's better to charge my car as often as possible and not wait for it to deplete more than necessary.

That means if my daily usage is 5%, then it's much better to charge my car daily from 75% to 80% and not wait for it to drop down deeper to 50% or 20% to charge it back up to 80%.

I don't charge to 90% unless I'm going to need it. I keep as narrow a range possible to keep the anodes from expanding and contracting too much. Also, sitting at high SOCs for a long time isn't good either which is why I charge just before leaving. I also charge as soon as possible to 50% if I'm below that when I get home.

• Disagree
Reactions: WdstockWizard
Turn off range mode forever, it doesn't do anything useful and might degrade your battery a little faster over the years by allowing it to operate a few degrees warmer on average.

I get the yellow bars any time I give it full throttle at lower %s. You'll have full horsepower at 100%, and less below 90%, eventually getting throttled below 25%. It's a battery voltage thing. Yo'll also see it more often when temperatures are below 50F.

As they get old they will limit more. I have seen it as high as 65% SOC. They told me the cooling system was not sufficient and to turn off regenerative braking and avoid prolonged acceleration...

Here is what Tesla customer support told me:

"Mat explained all of that to me, and made it sound like you would try the regenerative and braking suggestions on your next trip, and reach back out to the service center to see how it goes. While we are extremely thankful that you and so many others were early adopters to the Model S, unfortunately, there are certain characteristics of it that are not able to be retrofitted to fix the "issue," like the one you mention. We learned from early Engineering and have improved the cars tremendously along the way, and continue to improve them every day, as you know. However, after escalating to the Regional team and masterminds behind the cars like the FTS team and Engineering teams, we have exhausted all of our options.

While I understand your frustration, at this point, beyond the suggestions Mat discussed with you, you could pursue a trade-in for your car. I would be happy to set you up with the Sales team in your area who could explore those options with you. There are many affordable "newer" Model S's and X's now through our CPO program... just a thought."

As they get old they will limit more. I have seen it as high as 65% SOC. They told me the cooling system was not sufficient and to turn off regenerative braking and avoid prolonged acceleration...

"Mat explained all of that to me, and made it sound like you would try the regenerative and braking suggestions on your next trip, and reach back out to the service center to see how it goes. While we are extremely thankful that you and so many others were early adopters to the Model S, unfortunately, there are certain characteristics of it that are not able to be retrofitted to fix the "issue," like the one you mention. We learned from early Engineering and have improved the cars tremendously along the way, and continue to improve them every day, as you know. However, after escalating to the Regional team and masterminds behind the cars like the FTS team and Engineering teams, we have exhausted all of our options.

While I understand your frustration, at this point, beyond the suggestions Mat discussed with you, you could pursue a trade-in for your car. I would be happy to set you up with the Sales team in your area who could explore those options with you. There are many affordable "newer" Model S's and X's now through our CPO program... just a thought."

WTF????? They can easily fix the problem. They can replace the battery.

I don't understand? This sounds like they are telling you the car is disposable and cant be repaired? The issue is temp and can only last a certain amount of time? And there is no way to repair the cooling/heating system to repair the battery? Seems like a lot of misinformation?

I'm also confused as how a new battery and cooling system could not fix this issue? Please provide more detail about what the issue was?

I had a cooling issue in my S 70D when supercharging the cooling could not keep up, or even after a few hard accelerations I'd get the yellow warning triangle flicker on fast acceleration.

I took it to the service center and they are now replacing the battery under warranty (It still charged to 234 miles at 100% from the original 240 after 75k miles). I would assume if needed, a replacement battery could solve the issue.

For reference this was my power limiter after spending 45mins at the supercharger:

Attachments

• IMG_20181227_204117656.jpg
    IMG_20181227_204117656.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 174

If I got that kind of response from Tesla, my next call would be to my attorney and then my reporter friend at Reuters News. If the cooling system is not sufficient, that is a design and/or manufacturing defect that Tesla must remedy. I'd be going batshit crazy on them. Reading stuff like this disillusions me on Tesla and makes me want to sell my car.

I have a 5 year old P85 in Arizona where it hits 120º in the summer. I've never once had a yellow limit line in a situation where I wasn't extremely low on charge, which is expected. I've seen the behavior you describe in a loaner, but never on my own vehicle. I had all of my coolant pumps replaced in the first 1-2 years of ownership due to a service bulletin. I've also needed to have my front louvers replaced because they weren't opening and allowing proper cooling while supercharging. But even then, never had an acceleration limiter like you describe.

Ask your service advisor why I am not having an issue on a 2013 car in Arizona, then ask the Service Manager and demand something be done. There is something wrong with your battery and your service center is completely incompetent.

Last edited:
I've had all the coolant pumps replaced too. They have no answer, but it is clear something is overheating. But they are much bigger than me and likely I will waste a lot of effort and money for nothing.

If I got that kind of response from Tesla, my next call would be to my attorney and then my reporter friend at Reuters News. If the cooling system is not sufficient, that is a design and/or manufacturing defect that Tesla must remedy. I'd be going batshit crazy on them. Reading stuff like this disillusions me on Tesla and makes me want to sell my car.

I have a 5 year old P85 in Arizona where it hits 120º in the summer. I've never once had a yellow limit line in a situation where I wasn't extremely low on charge, which is expected. I've seen the behavior you describe in a loaner, but never on my own vehicle. I had all of my coolant pumps replaced in the first 1-2 years of ownership due to a service bulletin. I've also needed to have my front louvers replaced because they weren't opening and allowing proper cooling while supercharging. But even then, never had an acceleration limiter like you describe.

Ask your service advisor why I am not having an issue on a 2013 car in Arizona, then ask the Service Manager and demand something be done. There is something wrong with your battery and your service center is completely incompetent.

I noticed I had a some limit lines at 63% the other day. I was going up a mountain and did some heavy acceleration. Road trip so I was running the battery from 10-70 for most of the day. Didn’t spend enough time at high SOC to see if lines came at higher SOC.

The lines only showed up for a moment while drawing a lot of current. And strange thing was once I hit the limit the limit started to rise. Will have to see if this happens again later.

Battery was about 90-120 for most of the trip. About 120 when finished super charging. And drops to 90 by the time I hit the next supercharger.