Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pics: Model S w/ Lightweight Aftermarket Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Senox

a) Welcome to this forum!
b) Congrats on your P85D order (VERRRY jealous here).
c) Since you are new here, and may not know this: there is a reason why 6 green reputation bars exist above your first respondents avatar (yes, he knows THAT much!)
d) I would follow lola's advice as he is about to receive his 4th S and has tremendous experience to draw from.
e) Another "twist" on lola's 20x9" awesome wheel/tire combo is that if you strongly prefer a staggered set-up (not necessary, MUCH added expense, but do look kinda cool IMO) you could deploy 245/40-20 on the front and 265/40-20's on the rear BOTH on a 20x9" wheel for a nearly identical look and sizing as a P85+.
f) I too, ALWAYS purchase an extra wheel when I go aftermarket.

Good-Luck!

btw, very smart of you to stay away from the low-performance 21's

Last edited:
Lolacc-
Do you happen to know the weight rating of the TSWs? that was the first wheel I was looking at before I bought some MRRs
Tirerack was selling Enkei wheels for Model S' early on that were only rated for 600kg. (I bought the wheels in the first post here for winter, thanks again NRC)
I think the forgestars (Cf5v) are 700kg rated and 'similar' to the TSW

Thanks for the info linkster! I didn't know what the green bar represented. -but it's good to know how the hierarchy works here ;)

After talking to Steve at Forgeline it became clear that the reason they recommended the 10 rear width was more or less for a coolness factor. It appears most of their customer wants a more aggressive set-up. I explained that I rather go as close to original as possible to not experiment to much from Teslas tested out set-up and that I was afraid that the 10 width rear would have a negativ impact on range, which I absolutely don't want on my first EV.

It ended with that I ordered 20" 8,5 CB 74,1 ET 32 and rear 9,0 CB 74,1 ET 32. This I hope will result in no change in handling compared to the original 21" but I would have a stronger and lighter rims (less then 20 lbs). That sounds good in my ears. The only downsize would be the price (about 1500 USD per rim). And no, I didn't purchase a 5th rim to have in spare. -If one if the rims would get damage I might start cutting my selfe ;)
GT15LUG.jpg

Forgeline rims are absolutely fantastic rims if you are comfortable with the price! I think you will be very happy.
Zex, I remember looking at the rating and finding the TSWs perfectly acceptable when I was building my list of possible rims (need a pictorial selection for my wife's approval as, apart from husbands, she has very good taste). My primary concern was that any rim carry both US and European approvals. The European one was particularly important as it seems more strict.

Hello everyone!

I'm wondering whether the "D" models enable the same front rim/tires, as the "non-D" did. I don't expect a difference, but who knows - it might be possible for the all wheel drive to occupy just that tiny bit of space to make setups impossible that were working OK on the rear wheel drive models.

Any info from the early adopting P85D buyers is very welcome!

I stopped by my local SC and drove one yesterday. I made a point to look at the front suspension and they are using the same zero scrub radius upright so there should be no changes in front wheel offset. The SC also confirmed they are the same rims as provided on the P+. So, as far as I can tell, there has not been a change.

I stopped by my local SC and drove one yesterday. I made a point to look at the front suspension and they are using the same zero scrub radius upright so there should be no changes in front wheel offset. The SC also confirmed they are the same rims as provided on the P+. So, as far as I can tell, there has not been a change.

Well, that sounds good.

As far as my research about rim dimensions went (in this forum, mostly), people consider a 19, 20, 21, 22 x 9 a possible wheel for the front axle. x9 should work, especially with a 245mm tire mounted. Let's hope that stays the same with "D", as you say. I don't expect it to be different, either, to be honest.

I Just had installed (like just today) 245/40R20 on front and 275/35R20 on back -- and have noted rubbing on my driver side front tire when backing up and to the left. Noticed it pulling out of a parking spot, but not out of my driveway. When I do hear it, it's pretty noticeable... So, I will be looking for suggestions as well.

Nathan, that's exactly the same rubbing I am having. I feel that my wheel setup is prefect, so I won't consider changing my wheel setup. The problem is the liner will eventually punch a hole from the rubbing. I am thinking to heat up the liner with my heat gun and try to push the liner in for a 1/4".

Any suggestions?

I don't have 19's, but the measurement problem is the same. The range difference is probably too small to measure. Just too many variables.

Saving about 20 lbs per wheel (light rims and rotors) nets me a small but consistent 0-60 gain which is easy to measure. Like the below linked post, I see 0.05 faster 0-60 average. Not much at first glance, but an Autocross may have ten 0-60 bursts which gives me a nice half second advantage.
NSX Prime

If we dare to compare, 0.05sec/2.3sec = about 2%
Light Tesla wheels only will save you less than half that.

Reactions: UnpluggedP