Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance vs. S acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had forgotten how light the Roadster is. The torque on the Model S must be phenomenal!
Indeed. Although it's still pretty unlikely I can afford the performance version, this is the kind of advancement that I think will help make EVs and Tesla in particular really compelling. When EVs are crushing similarly priced ICEs in performance then that'll be yet another factor tipping the scales towards EVs for the average consumer.

Indeed. Although it's still pretty unlikely I can afford the performance version, this is the kind of advancement that I think will help make EVs and Tesla in particular really compelling. When EVs are crushing similarly priced ICEs in performance then that'll be yet another factor tipping the scales towards EVs for the average consumer.

Non-signature Performance version is $3,000 less than the Signature (before adding options back). You were upset about the Signature premium, maybe you should reward yourself by going with the Performance ;-).

Non-signature Performance version is $3,000 less than the Signature (before adding options back). You were upset about the Signature premium, maybe you should reward yourself by going with the Performance ;-).
Because of the various options involved the gap is bigger than $3k, but yea. If Tesla's stock really performs in the next 6-7 months, then it's a possibility.

You guys (and my wife) have convinced me. I've down-graded my reservation so that I'll be able to get the performance version (and get it in green). The rep. at Tesla tells me that I'll have to wait until Q1 2013 at the earliest to get it, but waiting 6-8 extra months to get the one that I want is a small price to pay in the grand scheme of things.

Elon's tweet helped convince me, too. ;-)

Yeah, delay is because I started off with a pretty high P number before upgrading originally. I was something like 5,500. They'll put me in a slot near there I assume. I don't think that it has anything to do with color or performance package (compared to other regular list folks).

They already are, but only for *short* races. It doesn't make much sense to run an ICE in a drag race any more, does it?

But the famous car races are all *long* races. When EVs are beating ICEs at 500-mile races, that will be the death of the "mystique" of ICE cars, as all the ICE car fans will be embarassed. Probably can't be done without battery swaps right now, but soon...

They already are, but only for *short* races. It doesn't make much sense to run an ICE in a drag race any more, does it?

But the famous car races are all *long* races. When EVs are beating ICEs at 500-mile races, that will be the death of the "mystique" of ICE cars, as all the ICE car fans will be embarassed. Probably can't be done without battery swaps right now, but soon...

In my opinion it will happen sooner then we expect!
If you see how battery's evolve, and how fast they can be recharged, 500 mile races are possible at the end of this year or next year!

In my opinion it will happen sooner then we expect!
If you see how battery's evolve, and how fast they can be recharged, 500 mile races are possible at the end of this year or next year!
True, but the motors will need to be highly specialized (hardly a surprise -- it's not as though people drive Audi RS8s in the Indy 500 ). The fastest lap at Indy 500 was driven at 236 mph! The energy draw at those speeds is dramatic.