Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Performance vs. S acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True, but the motors will need to be highly specialized (hardly a surprise -- it's not as though people drive Audi RS8s in the Indy 500 ). The fastest lap at Indy 500 was driven at 236 mph! The energy draw at those speeds is dramatic.

Why immediately wanting an electric indycar?

Just use a Model S with the newest battery-cell from panasonic! I guess it's around 4kv or more, and fill the battery-pack completely (I understand from people on the forum that the 85kw pack does not use all the space for cells it is able to contain) Of what I understood on this forum, it is suggested the battery-cells for the 85kw battery are around 3.4kv. I guess we are near the 500 mile range for the Model S then when using those new cells!

Supercharge every time you change tires, and it looks more and more plausible to race!

Or am I dreaming?

Last edited:
I don't dispute that Tesla could equip a Model S to drive 500 miles; I'm pointing out that, with a top speed of 130mph, it wouldn't be even vaguely competitive at the Indy 500. I have no doubts, though, that a Performance Model S with aero wheels and access to a track-side Supercharger would handily win a 500-mile EV stock car event.

I was talking about day to day driving and the 0-60 numbers. No one pulls up to a stop light next to another car and thinks "I could totally win a 500 mile race against this guy".
Agreed, but I was replying to this:
They already are, but only for *short* races. It doesn't make much sense to run an ICE in a drag race any more, does it?

But the famous car races are all *long* races. When EVs are beating ICEs at 500-mile races, that will be the death of the "mystique" of ICE cars, as all the ICE car fans will be embarassed. Probably can't be done without battery swaps right now, but soon...

I don't dispute that Tesla could equip a Model S to drive 500 miles; I'm pointing out that, with a top speed of 130mph, it wouldn't be even vaguely competitive at the Indy 500. I have no doubts, though, that a Performance Model S with aero wheels and access to a track-side Supercharger would handily win a 500-mile EV stock car event.

I think it would have big chance even in an endurance race competing against ICE-cars!
When I watch those races, not half of the top 10 at the finish had no problems with their ICE during the race, witch caused them to lose much time in the pits! Time this EV would have used for charging I think!
So an EV with comparable performance, "loosing" time for charging, but no technical problems, should be able to finish high I think!

I like the off topic! I think Tesla should go for touring car racing first. Letting the Bluestar go head to head with Chevrolet Cruze, BMW 320 etc in the WTCC would be sweet. Only how do you make it fit within the rules when it's a 2.0 litre championship...? It would make for some exciting races with cars with widely varying accelaration and top speeds.

I like the off topic! I think Tesla should go for touring car racing first. Letting the Bluestar go head to head with Chevrolet Cruze, BMW 320 etc in the WTCC would be sweet. Only how do you make it fit within the rules when it's a 2.0 litre championship...? It would make for some exciting races with cars with widely varying accelaration and top speeds.

WTCC is 1.6l turbo already last year ;-) (to limit fuel-consumption, and able to use same engines in WRC)

But in this kind of sprint-races it must be possible to compete too! No need to recharge during the race! ;-)

You may call me overly legalistic, but the Model S should comply with WTCC regulations, which state in relevant part:
7.1 Engine
The nominal cylinder capacity of the car equipped with the kit (Super 2000 Kit Variant) is limited to a maximum of 1600 cm3
(turbocharged engine).

The biggest challenge will be complying with all of the completely irrelevant requirements, such as:
7.1.6 Exhaust system
... All vehicles must be equipped with a homologated catalytic converter, the position of which is free. The exhaust gases must, at all times, pass through the catalytic converter. The exit of the exhaust pipe must be situated at the rear of the car, within the perimeter of the car, and be less than 10 cm from this perimeter.

15.1 Petrol tank
FT3 1999, FT3.5 or FT5 petrol tanks meeting the FIA specifications are compulsory.

They'll also have to find new wheels:
10.1 Complete wheel
The maximum dimensions of the 4 rims+flanges are 9" x 17" and their weight must not be less than 9 kg each.

But there's good news re the battery:
14.2 Battery
The make and capacity of the battery(ies) are free

When I was in college I tried to get our car competition team to build an electric car. The rules were setup for gasoline engines restricting displacement and intake surface area, but no overall power limits. They ended up deciding we would get disqualified, because we broke the ‘spirit’ of about ½ the regulations in the rule book. I brought up the fact we can put a muffler, and gas tank on the car. We don’t have to USE them. Well they ended up going very standard on their design, and I lost interest because I wanted to innovate.