Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heh heh. They make about as much sense as:

• It is against the law to throw a ball at someone's head for fun. (NY)
  • A license must be purchased before hanging clothes on a clothesline. (NY)
  • It is not legal for a tavern owner to serve beer unless a nice kettle of soup is also brewing. (NE)
  • In Baltimore, It is illegal to take a lion to the movies (MD)

Unlike most of the above, it's sad to see Blue Laws are still enforced.

Were you able to get out of the dealership? Around me they all close gates and block entrances with cars...

No problems. I arrived there at 11pm and left about 10am.
Incidentally I charged at another Nissan dealer near you last month (Ardmore, PA).
They don't block their entrance/exit either. Perhaps it is just the high-end dealiers?

Note: I had called the Ardmore dealership before charging there and got the OK from the general manager.
I stopped off for a quick midday charge ahead of my nightly recharge and they said they shut the chargers
off at night! I convinced them to leave it on that night...

Alcohol I've heard of, here in Florida you generally cant buy alcohol past 2am, but some downtown districts have exclusions allowing them to serve until 4 or 5am. There's so many weird alcohol laws, a lot of states have laws against discounts and happy hours, no doubles in Utah, I think either WV or Virginia you can't mix together beer and alcohol.

Blue laws are the real deal... Sometimes it has to do with cars, sometimes it has to do with alcohol sales among other products. In all cases archaic and stupid.

I believe the current TX laws regarding car dealership operating days are the product of the car dealerships themselves. Yes, in the past, the Blue Laws prevented Sunday sales. However, when those laws were being discussed for revision many years ago, the dealerships did not want a unilateral reversal of the law because that would force them to either be open both days of the weekend or would give an advantage to their competitors who chose to do so. While it might seem on the surface that dealerships would want to be open all weekend, there are a variety of reasons this isn't desirable. The difficulty in convincing sales people to work all weekend, sales people squabbling over working Saturday vs. Sunday, etc., come to mind. Plus, most dealerships don't think that a seventh day of sales would increase profits as compared to the added expense of being open.

As a solution to the complicated issue, the dealerships lobbied for a law saying that dealership's in TX can only be open either Saturday or Sunday, but not both days. This way, they don't have to worry about staffing all weekend but neither do they lose an advantage to a competitor who would be willing to do so.

but neither do they lose an advantage to a competitor who would be willing to do so.

Another completely stupid TX law.

If a dealer wants to be open 7 days a week, they should be able to do so--it's their business.

The dealer (business) can work out their work schedule just like any other business does today. If one doesn't want to work there, they can find somewhere else to work.

Let businesses drive competition. Capitalism 101.

Thankfully (in this case) Tesla is not a dealer and happily shows their cars 7 days a week.

Another completely stupid TX law.

If a dealer wants to be open 7 days a week, they should be able to do so--it's their business.

The dealer (business) can work out their work schedule just like any other business does today. If one doesn't want to work there, they can find somewhere else to work.

Let businesses drive competition. Capitalism 101.

Thankfully (in this case) Tesla is not a dealer and happily shows their cars 7 days a week.

I completely agree with you.

My point is that the dealers in Texas do not want to be open seven days a week, hence their lobbying efforts to ensure that the revised blue laws reflected their desire. This way, they get a double benefit: they get what they want and the buying public continues to blame the blue laws, not the dealers, for being inconvenienced.

Unsurprising political shenanigans from a dealership organization that so childishly used its lobbying muscle to influence (purchase?) our legislators to keep Tesla out of Texas.

Ok so after day two here are my first impressions.

The front triangle windows are cold and leak air. I have read about this and I also contacted my SC about getting them fixed.

There is a serious design flaw with the little shelf under the main display. On full acceleration everything flies out of it. :D

The rear cup holders seem to do the job so far but I am not fond of them. If they were mounted an inch higher I would have some more confidence in them.

The foot well for the jump seats is perfect for our cloth grocery bags. Can have fun getting groceries with out worrying about breaking the eggs.

I had concerns about things flying around in the frunk and was trying to come up with a solution for keeping our food for the thanksgiving trip in place tomorrow when our daughter says what about the Volkswagen cargo blocks. Awesome idea and they will work fantastically. They are L shaped blocks with Velcro on the bottom that you place around things to keep them put.

Climbing a slushy mountain in the cold really eats into the range. An elevation range estimator would be a fantastic add to the navigation system.

It doesn't appear that gps info is passed to the web browser. I was hoping I could log into waze.com on the web browser and I would be able to use it for navigation.

Navigate via way points and picking alternate routes are must haves for any navigation system.

Today with no range worries I got to stomp on it to pass some cars. 3 of them doing 50 in a 55. Holy cow, 106 at the end of the pass. And now my passing timing is messed up because I have to wait for the oncoming car to pass before mashing the pedal.

I'm going through some sort of mental short circuiting because I am still reaching for a key and parking brake release lever when I start driving. And when I stop the car to get out I feel like I'm forgetting something, a lot of something's. Push one button remove seat belt and open the door still does not compute correctly in my mind yet.

Last edited:
So... I wrote about my Trip from Fremont picking up our Model S a few weeks ago in this post.

It's been a great two and a half weeks with our car, but not exactly perfect.

The bottom line is that Tesla still suffers from growing pains and are onboarding quite a bit of people. Some of these people may not provide the sort of customer service that luxury car buyers have grown to expect from their contact with luxury car companies. I have contacted Ownership Experience folks to let them know my two cents. I commend the majority of Tesla employees that "get it" and provide excellent response. However, where there are training flaws, reach out to them so that they can correct it.

I'm going through some sort of mental short circuiting because I am still reaching for a key and parking brake release lever when I start driving. And when I stop the car to get out I feel like I'm forgetting something, a lot of something's. Push one button remove seat belt and open the door still does not compute correctly in my mind yet.

In no time at all, you will have the exact opposite problem. Leaving a traditional ICE car with the keys in the ignition and the engine running. Happens to the best of us :biggrin:

First impressions

Tesla model S P85+ green metallic, beige interior;
Cars driven before; Audi S7, Mercedes CLS AMG

First impressions; Awesome car to drive, instant power, smooth air ride/transmission despite 21" wheels, nice exterior/interior; Very happy with purchase so far;

Wish list; I am sure they will happen eventually.
IPOD compatibility, passenger seat memory, better range Bluetooth, quick audio mute button, voice commands, break hold feature at traffic lights, allow wifi tethering from phone while driving,

Hardware; ventilated/active cooled seats, better rear view clearance

Overall, unbelievable car made in America. Glad to be part of Tesla family.

Pramod

Tesla model S P85+ green metallic, beige interior;
Cars driven before; Audi S7, Mercedes CLS AMG

First impressions; Awesome car to drive, instant power, smooth air ride/transmission despite 21" wheels, nice exterior/interior; Very happy with purchase so far;

Wish list; I am sure they will happen eventually.
IPOD compatibility, passenger seat memory, better range Bluetooth, quick audio mute button, voice commands, break hold feature at traffic lights, allow wifi tethering from phone while driving,

Hardware; ventilated/active cooled seats, better rear view clearance

Overall, unbelievable car made in America. Glad to be part of Tesla family.

Pramod

So...

IPOD compatibility = via bluetooth. Not the USB ports...

passenger seat memory = Save the Driver Profile.

allow wifi tethering from phone while driving = This works on 5.8. Just make sure to turn on wi-fi on the car and run the hotspot on your phone... If you're using AT&T, it's the same network (unless LTE)... I have a Sprint and T-Mobile hotspot that I carry (mifi and hotspot on demand on my phone.)