Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't tell you how thrilled I am with this car. I picked it up this morning at the San Diego Service Center. The car exceeded my wildest expectations! I've probably been in the showroom at the Westfield UTC showroom dozens of times but there are always so many people there you feel guilty spending too much time in the car exploring.
Plus I was told that my car was the first in San Diego to have the Park Distance Control so the girl was excited to show me everything and funny as I seemed to know as much as her from my many hours reading this and other forums.

I was one of those guys that reconfigured my car and spent thousands of dollars more to get the Park Distance Control sensors. I can't tell you how great they work! They really are great and accurate. I've tried it out quite a bit and it works very well. The only thing it won't measure is curbs that are too low, just as they explained online.
I had the print out from the great Check List from Nick but quite honestly I didn't even pull it out as I had everything memorized. An employee went through methodically and showed me everything. She was very thorough explaining everything.

I got the car with 227 miles so it was almost completely charged. I only had about 50 miles already on the odometer they explained from moving the car and testing, etc. The only bad thing about the location of the San Diego service center is it's near a Rock Quarry or something because there is tons of fine dust particles in the air. Although they cleaned my car, it was all dusty from the quarry. Not a big deal.

Also, the car had a red paint scratch near the back wheel well. It was very small but still noticeable. I asked them to remove it. I got a bit nervous when the main detail guy came out and couldn't remove it with solvent he had in a spray bottle but he took it into the garage and promptly removed it within 5 minutes. I'm not sure what it was from but the important thing is they removed it.

I did the docu-sign online before going in so the paperwork was VERY quick. Less than 10 minutes which consisted of me signing a few forms confirming receipt of delivery, paying them all that money for the car (balance due) and that was it.

They explained they were excited as my car was the very first delivery in San Diego with the Park Distance Control. My car almost was already updated to the latest 5.0 software. It was clear the girl had never seen it before as she said some things were new for her. She said it makes her job MUCH easier when people read everything online before they come in. I pretty much knew how everything worked but I still learned plenty of new things that I didn't know before.

For example, I didn't know that you could move the sound around to put focus on the sound in the front or back or one side, etc. Also, I thought only those that got the cold weather package got seat warmers but she said that with the leather package you get the seat warmers which was surprising to me. That was a nice surprise although I won't use them much in San Diego. I have the cold weather package in my Audi Q7 TDI and I've never used it in San Diego although I do use it when I go to Lake Tahoe to go skiing. I may try to make a road trip up to Lake Tahoe this winter.

I got a P85 and got just about every upgrade except the + and the cold weather package. But everything else including dual charger and jump seats. I tested my HPWC at home and true to the Tesla website, I got 60 miles per hour recharge.

I am blown away at the power of it. I did test drive it but those of you that test drive it know that you can't REALLY test drive it like you want to with a Tesla employee with you. And in San Diego they don't even allow you to go on the highway at all. The pick up is amazing! It literally feels like you are driving a spaceship or something. (Not that I've driven a spaceship before) but this is how you would imagine it! I've never seen so many people pointing at a car or taking photos of the car while I am driving. That feeling is totally new to me.
Also, I went to the store to get some ice cream and many people coming up to the car looking inside of it. I can imagine that could get annoying quickly if they are touching the windows, etc. I imagine the novelty will wear off as more and more people buy Teslas. I heard there are so many in the Bay area that they don't seem too special there now. I imagine San Diego will be the same way soon.

In my development where I live, I didn't see any of them before 2 weeks ago. Then in the last 2 weeks I've seen two of them up at the Country Club. I live in a pretty upscale neighborhood. For frame of reference, the San Diego Chargers Quarterback lives in my development. I am the third person already to get one so I imagine soon there will probably be a lot of them. LOL.
I haven't driven it enough to discover if there are any problems but so far in driving it all day I haven't seen any problems at all except these things:

- The front windshield doesn't allow my gate sticker to work from my development. I live in a gated community and it's so large there are several entrances and it didn't work at any of them so they had to give me an old fashioned device to open the gate. That's not uncommon with some newer cars. For instance, my Q7 didn't work either. So they gave me this front license plate device that you screw on. The problem is that I opted not to have a front license plate installed so I can't go with that option. I'll probably go with the option to install the license plate with the J hook screws without making a hole in the car and see if that will work.

- Twice while driving my front passenger window just opened a bit. I don't remember touching anything but my wife was in the front with me and it happened twice. I'm not sure if there is something that I'm doing that causes it to open slightly? I'd appreciate some insight there.

- I got the rear jump seats and they are great. But backing out of my driveway one of my kids accidentally touched the release and they fell forward. Is there any safety lock where it can't be opened while the car is moving? This seems like it could potentially be VERY dangerous if a child could accidentally touch this and they could fly forward. Could any of you that have them let me know if there is any way to safety lock these jump suits so your kids can't touch it and fly forward? If it happened with my kids, I imagine it could happen to others too. If there is no safety lock/latch, they need to figure out how to engage some safety lock that can NOT be unlocked while the car is moving. This could be VERY dangerous.

Other than that the car seems perfect. The car mats that came with them didn't seem nearly as bad as some claimed they were. I'm not sure which version I got but they don't seem bad. I already ordered the All weather mats for the entire car ahead of time but not sure they will look that great in the car as I got the Black/Black interior. But the frunk and trunk do look good with those mats and they are easy to clean.

I'm going to LOVE LOVE LOVE driving this thing. I have to give a BIG kudos and thanks to Jerome Guillen who emailed me immediately on a sunday night after this entire Park Distance Control came out. I had already ordered my car without them but my car didn't enter production yet so I felt for someone like me that added on just about everything and had to pay more to add them it wasn't really fair. But on reflection, I'm just darn glad I had the chance to add them even if it cost several thousands of dollars more.

Ultimately, I was fortunate that I could add them. They work GREAT and look great. If you have a black exterior they are barely noticeable. I know Jerome helped push my car so the original delivery date was honored. I emailed him to thank him for all his help and the guy emailed me back almost immediately. It's clear that he is passionate about the car and the company.
Also, I have to mention that this car and this technology gives me great hope what is achievable for the future. It also makes me VERY confident that those that say the USA's best days are behind it are clearly wrong. The USA's best days are ahead of it due to visionaries like Elon Musk and his team.

Thanks Tesla and thanks to so many of you that spend so much time posting valuable information on these and other forums.

Great report, earlyretirement. Congrats and enjoy the car!

Wanted to clarify: the seat heaters that come with the leather package are for front seats only; that's probably what you meant?! The subzero package extends seat heating to the second row as well.

Thanks! Yes, I didn't clarify. The leather package gets the seat warmers up front. The Cold weather package extends it to the rear. I guess the point I was getting at is I was pleasantly surprised I got them without the Cold Weather Package. :)

Fantastic write up! I did the same as you and was able to get PDC configured after the order was placed. I pick mine up in Fremont Friday morning. Can't sleeeeeeepppppppp!

So funny. I woke up in a nightmare the night before getting the car. I woke up about 2:45 AM in the middle of a dream that someone had stolen my (not yet delivered) car. LOL. I didn't sleep the rest of the night so I was really tired picking up the car.

Theres a child lock setting..

Hi Twinklejet. Can you be so kind as to tell me how to activate the child lock setting on the rear jump seats? I did a search but couldn't find it on the Tesla main page. Can you explain how to do that?

Congrats--sounds like fun!

50 miles on it at delivery--thats a LOT of testing :) Sounds like they used it for a few joy rides.

Keep your initial impressions coming and please post some pics of that beauty!

Also, something I forgot to mention is that they deliver the car now with a screen cleaning cloth (same material they use to clean eyeglasses). They said that people were using microfiber towels to clean the dash and the screen and the static electricity was shorting out the screens. So they said they started delivering them with the cloth so I got one.

Also, someone was kind enough to mention what is mysteriously causing the front passenger window to open. My leg is hitting the open button on the door from time to time. Same thing is happening to others so if it opens that's probably it.

Also, in about 10 entry/exits yesterday, the automatic door handles has only worked about 4 out of 10 times when I approach the car. That isn't a big deal but it would be nice to work all the time. But again no big deal.

Apologies, I misread it as rear seats instead of rear jump seats. I'm not sure if the child lock setting works for the rear JUMP seats the way it does for the rear seats...

OK..thanks. I was going to say I can't find anything on line. My email to Tesla hasn't been answered yet but I just sent it last night. Hopefully there is a way to lock these jump seats.

How can I get my cats-eye lights to move like this one does? So cool!
It's around minute 1:18 in the video.

The LEDs on the front and back of the car are always blinking but so fast you can't see it. Video and film cameras do the same thing capturing and playing back a rapid succession of images that your mind sees as a continuous image (called persistence of vision).

The light effect on this video and other flashing LED (mostly tail lights) is because the light-blinking and the camera recording the lights are out of sync and happening at different times at different rates of speed.

It's most commonly called the wagon-wheel effect where spokes look to be going backwards when watched in playback.

Some people commented the park distance control chimes aren't too loud. I agree. With the radio on with music on they are hard to hear but you have the visual to look at which is impossible to miss if you are looking.

Something I like is that the front sensor is automatically working. On my Audi Q7, I have to turn it on for the front sensor to work.

Here is a very short YouTube video I made of the sensors below. You will see that you have the faint chimes as well as the visual in inches. You can change to metric system if you want or if you're out of the USA.

It's GREAT that it shows you how many inches you have. And from the moment it says "Stop" I measure about 5 inches of safety. I tested with my child's wagon which is fairly low to the ground but it won't work with a low curb for example.

The back works the same way. In the video I didn't back up until it says STOP but it works the same way.

I do wish you could make the chimes louder but they work very very good.

Parking Sensors Tesla Model S - YouTube

Also, just an update regarding the situation with what I consider a potential problem with how easily the latch in the 3rd row can be released. If you remember from my first post I noticed that if your kid accidentally touches it, the entire seat can fall flat basically causing them to fall forward.

I emailed Jerome Guillen about it and asking if anything could be done and he emailed me back personally.

I emailed him about that flaw and asked if anything could be done to address it. Well, he told me that Tesla is developing a 3rd row seat latch with greater retention force. He said they are also looking at locking solutions for the third row.

He offered to retrofit a prototype on my car at my convenience.

I mean, this is really impressive. I'm going to take them up on that offer. I'm so happy that they are working on something like this. Obviously they see the importance of this as well.

I would encourage anyone with young kids to also get this retrofit done.

Also, just an update regarding the situation with what I consider a potential problem with how easily the latch in the 3rd row can be released. If you remember from my first post I noticed that if your kid accidentally touches it, the entire seat can fall flat basically causing them to fall forward.

I emailed Jerome Guillen about it and asking if anything could be done and he emailed me back personally.

I emailed him about that flaw and asked if anything could be done to address it. Well, he told me that Tesla is developing a 3rd row seat latch with greater retention force. He said they are also looking at locking solutions for the third row.

He offered to retrofit a prototype on my car at my convenience.

I mean, this is really impressive. I'm going to take them up on that offer. I'm so happy that they are working on something like this. Obviously they see the importance of this as well.

I would encourage anyone with young kids to also get this retrofit done.

This is so awesome. Can you think of any other car company that would have responded like that? I doubt there are.

Just did my test drive in the MS, the car was a multicolor red P85+ and did it in Geneva. I have to say even though I was going in with very high expectations from everything I've read here I was still blown away with the car :D

Chatted with Jacque (the rep) about the car, the 3G service (he expected the current free period to end within a couple of months with plans announced or you'll use tethering), the service plans which it seems I'll probably not even be able to buy because I'm outside of core market (that solves that question) and many more details. I wasn't able to spend as much time on the car due to the fact that my original VIP meeting overran by 15 minutes and I had already rescheduled 15 min later so overall a delay from me of 30 minutes, but he was very pleasant and helpful and accommodating because that was for me the ONLY time I could do the test at all before having to confirm the car so I'm extremely happy that Tesla was so forthcoming on short notice to arrange the drive (they came ~30 km out of Geneva to my meeting place at one of the CERN sites and the test drive was back to my office).

This company will go far as I seriously doubt any other company would have done this. I'm from Estonia, flew in to Geneva for one day on other business and they arranged a test drive knowing that I would not buy from Geneva. Which other car company would have done that?

Here's a happy me after the drive:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/102023764@N04/9787152814/

So I'm sold, definitely going to order now (already have deposit paid and order on hold, has been waiting for me to hit confirm) just after I get the insurance offer and I will be pestering them EVEN more now hoping to confirm still this week :)

Well I have had my car for about two weeks. A few quick observations:

1) It is BIG. Big and EXPENSIVE. It takes me forever to park and get around in parking lots for fear of scratching it.
2) I scratched it something awful parking already :(
3) I have yet to be bowled over by someone interested in talking about it. I can't tell if everyone is over it already or if the awareness is so low where I am that people don't recognize it as unusual.
4) Put me in the camp of people who justify the model S as financially sound. I think that with gas and maintenance savings the car will have an inexpensive lifetime of driving, provided I keep it for 15 years which is my plan. However, I wasn't prepared for people who look at as a lavish luxurious purchase. I would never buy a high end Mercedez or BMW 7 series but there are those who do not distinguish. I wasn't ready to be perceived as "that guy".
5) Twice I have creeped up on people walking on a residential street and they didn't know I was there. It puts us in a funny spot, where honking is way too much. I almost wish there was an external engine noise speaker for certain situations.
6) The best unexpected feature of owning the car is its relative quiet. I know that is hardly a surprise, but what I find is that I actually *listen* to and enjoy music on long drives. In most cars increasing the volume high enough to hear just gives a headache. We were very actively DJ'ing on our one long trip we have made so far.
7) public charging EV parking spots are being placed in a wrongheaded way. Many places are converting the very best parking spots, beyond handicapped spots, into EV spots. This creates a lose-lose-lose. First, ICE's are sorely temped to park in them. It really isn't clear that they should not really. Its not clear ethically why they should make room for us. The strongest argument is that the proprietor intended that so they should respect those wishes. Then, model S's don't really need the range 99% of the time, so parking in them is a pain (back in, get out the cord, figure out the charge point etc) while people walk by prying with polite curiosity at best. Far better to place the EV spots further back in lots so they will be clear and not in the way. Supercharger spots seem to be following this philosophy.
8) The fan speed should be a permanent button along the bottom. We fiddle with it more than any other control. I would happily trade that for the seat heater buttons or something. The steering wheel control is a bit hard to use too; I find myself having to look at it quite a bit while doing it.
9) Overall, even though I had test driven and sat in the car dozens of times before I got mine, I was left surprised by the overall quality and solidity of the car. It feels more high end than I figured on.

I even put 7 people in it for a short drive, no problem :) I had 2 12 yr old girls in the back, which was not the best fit for them but they loved the novelty.

4) Put me in the camp of people who justify the model S as financially sound. I think that with gas and maintenance savings the car will have an inexpensive lifetime of driving, provided I keep it for 15 years which is my plan. However, I wasn't prepared for people who look at as a lavish luxurious purchase. I would never buy a high end Mercedez or BMW 7 series but there are those who do not distinguish. I wasn't ready to be perceived as "that guy".

I'm also a member of that camp! We have a saying in our household-- we call it the "pastor test". Granted it doesn't apply to everyone, but in our lives it's the idea of "could you invite your pastor over to see ____ and not have to wonder if next Sunday's sermon about materialism is about you?" So far we've mostly avoided anything of conspicuous consumption... but a new Tesla... hmmm... I do suspect it would raise an eyebrow or two. That bothers me. Not because I feel it is "prideful" but because I've also justified it as a financially sound purchase and will-- over the next 20 years-- spend far less on transportation than those who might be judgmental (even if not vocally so) and go through 2-3 cars to my one.

In the end though, that's their problem, not mine. And I will happily set straight anyone ignorant enough to suggest my reasons are "impure".
You are not alone!