Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Joules arrived Jan 18th around 1:00 p.m. Blue, grey leather, air, tech package, upgraded sound, non-wicked 85 kWh. So 30 hours later she has 225 miles (arrived with 23), and I haven't stopped smiling since. If fact, I barely slept last night, as I was anticipating my first full day burning electricity.

Our DS was Grant Pope and he was excellent. It was a great time learning the ins and outs.

Our first drive was down I-70 E from Evergreen, CO to Denver and back. Coming back there is a 6-mile stretch that gains 3,000 feet in elevation. My wife and I were cruising along in the middle of 3 lanes when a newish Lexus came upon us in the left-hand lane. The Lexus pulled along side and the young couple inside gave us two big thumbs up. Then the guy driving the Lexus started gunning his engine, signaling "show me what you got". With no one within a mile in front of me I slammed the go peal to the deck. Like the four-wheeled rocket she is, Joules dropped that poor Lexus like a hot rock. After I had a 300-meter lead I regen'd and when the Lexus finally arrived along side, I was waggling my index finger left and right in my side window, signaling "no, no, no, don't try that again". The woman passenger was smiling and laughing hysterically, which was followed by the male driver waving a white handkerchief. Within another half mile I arrived at our exit and we waved bye, which was favorably received and returned with another set of thumbs up. It was a great day already, but became better when I got home and saw in a letter from the State they approved my vanity plate KCK GAS. Enjoy.

Love these kinds of stories. You probably sold another Model S.

I may have convinced a friend to order one today. I let him drive my S and he said "I got to have one, but need to ask the secretary of war if it is ok". I reminded him it is easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission. He then asked if they come in black, and when I said yes, he said "I'm game". I just hope I didn't cause a war when he got home.

I may have convinced a friend to order one today. I let him drive my S and he said "I got to have one, but need to ask the secretary of war if it is ok". I reminded him it is easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission. He then asked if they come in black, and when I said yes, he said "I'm game". I just hope I didn't cause a war when he got home.

Hows that joke go? Something like "my wife told me a can't get it. Damn...I'm really going to miss her". Ha!

Posted a mini-report of my first full day with the car in a different context here:

60 kwh vs 85 khw - Page 4

Sorry, was actually too embarrassed (or trying to act real cool) to take pictures. :)

Simply put, the car's a brute and a beaut! No such thing as buyer's remorse in my vocabulary. This is a once-in-a-generation product of any kind! Bravo, Tesla!

As seen by others, noticed yesterday that the tires were overinflated at the factory delivery - 53+ psi when it should have been 42. Noticed the excess tire pressure warnings yesterday and lowered the pressures (on a cold car) this morning before setting out.

No real 4.1 software gremlins so far. Looking forward to a lot more Tesla grins!

Help me find a photo of a Model S shot on Highway 101 in or near Menlo/Palo Alto. I am pretty sure it was on this forum, just not sure which thread. It accompanied some discussion regarding the active air suspension and showed the Model S driving along lower than the cars around it. I have searched all over and I can't figure out where I saw it. Can somone send me in the right direction? I wanted to illustrate a point to my wife.
Philip Macafee

Last edited:
Help me find a photo of a Model S shot on Highway 101 in or near Menlo/Palo Alto. I am pretty sure it was on this forum, just not sure which thread. It accompanied some discussion regarding the active air suspension and showed the Model S driving along lower than the cars around it. I have searched all over and I can't figure out where I saw it. Can somone send me in the right direction? I wanted to illustrate a point to my wife.

Random model S sightings thread post #1018??

As seen by others, noticed yesterday that the tires were overinflated at the factory delivery - 53+ psi when it should have been 42. Noticed the excess tire pressure warnings yesterday and lowered the pressures (on a cold car) this morning before setting out.

I've got 19" also and the spec on the door state 45psi (85kWh) not 42psi. I thought the 42psi was for the 21" tires. If your door label states 42psi for the 19" tires then that would seem to indicate the 60kWh car does weigh less than the 85kWh. Congratulations on your delivery.

photo-1.JPG
photo.JPG

Meet my Joules. Evergreen, CO

I've got 19" also and the spec on the door state 45psi (85kWh) not 42psi. I thought the 42psi was for the 21" tires. If your door label states 42psi for the 19" tires then that would seem to indicate the 60kWh car does weigh less than the 85kWh. Congratulations on your delivery.

Hmm... You are right. It's still 45 psi for my 60's 19" wheels and not 42. I had lowered it to 44 yesterday just so that I can be "lazy" about it for a month or two - serves me right; will have to inflate them a bit now :)

yobigd20 beat me to it, I think -- I posted such a photo here the other day:

Random Model S sightings - Page 102

I thought a normal air pressure range is between 30-32 psi?

Nonsense. For almost all cars (and tires) on the road today, pressures that low are DANGEROUS. It's hard to stress this enough.

1. Most tire pressure recommendations haven't been that low since the early to mid 1970s.

2. Tire pressure depends on conditions of use (load, speed, temperature, road surface, suspension, etc.). The pressures on the vehicle placard are a starting point. In general though, except in special circumstances you never want to set tire pressures below the vehicle placard pressure.

3. "Car tires should be run at 30 psi" is another one of those dangerous myths that should be eradicated.

Tire pressures became higher in recent decades to provide more safety at highways speeds, longer tire life, improved fuel economy, and better handling. Tires are far different today than they were fifty years ago.

I thought a normal air pressure range is between 30-32 psi? Why are the MS tires in the 45 range? TIA

For "normal cars" with "normal tires", yes I would agree that is about the same as I've seen on every car I've owned. However, this is not a "normal car" with "normal tires". I can think of two reasons for this.

First off the car itself is very heavy. More specifically, low profile tires generally require higher pressures than taller sidewall types. One of the reasons you want to run a higher psi in a lower profile tire is to help prevent bending of the rim...there is less sidewall to absorb impact, so you run a higher pressure to stiffen the sidewall.

Second, and probably most important, is that the tire pressure needs to match the weight of vehicle (this is why it varies between 60kWh vs 85kWh) so that the contact patch covers the width of the tread. In an overinflated tire, the tread may crown, allowing only the center portion to contact the pavement, which decreases traction (because less of the tire is in contact with the road's surface). It also causes the tread to wear more quickly in the center. However, underinflation is even worse, causing wear closer to the sides and leads to overheating and premature wear. This would speed up the wear as much as 25 percent faster. Underinflated tires also greatly reduce fuel economy.

In either case, tires not at the recommended psi will also affect stopping distances.

Personally, I think I may pick up a digital tire inflator to make sure that my tires are always at the optimal psi. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Slime-40022-1...8854760&sr=8-1&keywords=tire+inflator+digital

Nonsense. For almost all cars (and tires) on the road today, pressures that low are DANGEROUS. It's hard to stress this enough.

1. Most tire pressure recommendations haven't been that low since the early to mid 1970s.

2. Tire pressure depends on conditions of use (load, speed, temperature, road surface, suspension, etc.). The pressures on the vehicle placard are a starting point. In general though, except in special circumstances you never want to set tire pressures below the vehicle placard pressure.

3. "Car tires should be run at 30 psi" is another one of those dangerous myths that should be eradicated.

Tire pressures became higher in recent decades to provide more safety at highways speeds, longer tire life, improved fuel economy, and better handling. Tires are far different today than they were fifty years ago.

Just filled the wife's 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe and it's pressure was 30.