Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outdoor 50' charging options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning all - I've done some searching on the topic but most were a few years old, and curious to see if there are any updates. We have a house with no garage, and the parking spot is about 45' from the front of the house. The front of the house (under a covered porch) has a standard 120v outlet... the HOA has said we can't install any electric outlets outside of the house, as it's all common use ground. So our only options are to have something extending from our actual house out to the car - curious as to what our best options are? Is it feasible to install a 30 amp dryer outlet and run a 50' extension cord (Amazon.com) and only charge when it's not raining?

This isn't ideal as it's not waterproof, but I can't figure out what other realistic options we have. A regular old extension cord charging at 3-4mph doesn't seem ideal as a primary means of charging. There are a few superchargers around but would hate to be chained to them. Thanks all!

Is it feasible to install a 30 amp dryer outlet and run a 50' extension cord (Amazon.com) and only charge when it's not raining?

There is virtually no chance (like zero) that any HOA will allow an extension cord to be draped across 45 feet of common ground (being a tripping hazard etc) on a regular basis to charge an EV.

if you did it while you were cleaning your car to run a vacuum or something, they would look the other way. No chance (none) they will allow that. If you get that setup, the second anyone notices it and reports it to the HOA (even if no one falls over it, etc) they will either give you a verbal notification of "you cant do that" or a written one, depending on how formal they want to be with you on it (whether they think you will accept the verbal or not).

Your best option is to try to push with the HOA to setup public charging on premises, or, you will have to look at hiring an electrician to run (buried) cable from your breaker to your parking space, for $$$$$.

Reactions: Regaj
I agree with @jjrandorin, stringing an extension cord is just going piss people off and set the board against you in big way.

If it were me, I'd work up a reasonable install plan and make a formal application. Do you have assigned parking? That would make it much easier to approve. It's one thing to just be told, "no", it's another to go through the formal process. Take the time to make it look good to try and avoid a kneejerk reaction.

Another idea: Canvas the other owners and see how many EVs (or potential EVs) there are. If there are a significant number, try working up a proposal in conjunction with one of the commercial providers like ChargePoint to install stations in common. If they see that there are multiple owners who want it and that it won't be ugly and they won't have a big expense or liability, they might go for it.

Reactions: Rocky_H
If probably look into any laws that apply to your area for allowing installations of EV charger. I've heard of some of these, but certainly, different locales are going to, well, differ. Then open a dialogue with the HOA. I'm sure your not the only one who is currently and will have this problem in the future. Perhaps it's already something they've been discussing. Usually best to involve them if it's going to cost any significant amount of money

You are better off if you have you have your assigned parking and try to get approval for the install of a charging box and pay for it yourself. The issue I see of having the HOA paying for multiple charging stations is are you going to knock on your neighbor's door and ask them to move their car so you can charge. Suppose they say no.