Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What brand and type of nema 14-50 extension cord to get

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

I have a nema 14-50 outlet located in my garage but it’s a bit out of reach everytime I need to plug it in. I’m thinking of getting an extension cord to get closer to my garage opening. Is there a good brand and type to get? I saw this brand ‘signalandpower’ for 10or 25 ft but it’s costing $300 for 25ft. Is there another brand or type you guys use and has good quality cord with no heating or dropped voltage during charging?

Also, my nema 14-50 outlet is a plastic type not sure what brand was used when my electrician had installed it back maybe 6yrs ago. Do I need to upgrade it to Bryant or hubbell outlet and change out the box to metal?

Tesla does not recommend the use of any extension cord when using a mobile connector to charge. That said, I believe that a 6AWG cord is what's generally safe for 50A. To save a bit of money you might be able to use a cord which has three 6 gauge wires and one 8 gauge, instead of having all four wires at 6AWG. Check evseadapters.com for what they offer. That company has many adapters and equipment designed for charging.

If this is going to be a somewhat permanent use, I would bite the bullet and have an electrician extend the existing connection and re-locate the outlet where you need it. As long as nothing else needs to use the 14-50 where it is currently at, like a dryer, this is the best solution.

As far as what brand of outlet, Bryant or Hubbell is preferred. If the outlet is in a garage and not subject to a harsh environment, I would assume that a plastic junction box is okay.

If I do this what do I use to connect the 6/3 wires from the junction box? Any suggestions?
I believe that there's something called Polaris connectors which can join two wires together in a safe manner. I would NOT use the tried-and-true method of wire nuts. You know, those plastic cone-shaped things that are screwed onto two (or more) wires that have been twisted together. Not with a 50A circuit and 6 gauge wire. As @ATPMSD suggests, if you don't already know about these things, hire a qualified electrician to do the work.

Reactions: Rocky_H
If I do this what do I use to connect the 6/3 wires from the junction box?
Recent discussion about this here:

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Recent discussion about this here:
Did you notice that the OP of that thread and the OP of THIS thread are the same?

One additional thought. The Mobile Connector has a 20' cable and a Wall Connector has 24'. Would that extra 4' make the difference?

I know it may sound off the wall to spend $475 for a Wall Connector, but with the wire already run, installing a Wall Connector is a pretty easy DIY project and may be cost effective if you are considering hiring an electrician to extend the 14-50 outlet.

One additional thought. The Mobile Connector has a 20' cable and a Wall Connector has 24'. Would that extra 4' make the difference?

I know it may sound off the wall to spend $475 for a Wall Connector, but with the wire already run, installing a Wall Connector is a pretty easy DIY project and may be cost effective if you are considering hiring an electrician to extend the 14-50 outlet.
Installing a wall connector would also require using the existing plug box as a junction box, to run a pigtail into the wall connector. While he's doing that, he could just use a long enough stretch of wire and flex conduit to get the wall connector to where he really needs it. Using the full length of a 24' cord has much of the nuisance of an extension cord, requiring one to either leave the cord stretched out, or constantly coiling and uncoiling it.

There should be no issue using and 8/3 cord on a 14/50 plug. 14/50 plug lets you charge at 7.5 KW max, that's about 32 AMPS at 235V (I'm seeing as much as 33 miles/hr. 8/3 cord is good for 40 amp. It usually has 20+ strands per conductor making very flexible, and depending on the type of insulation, very durable. My panel was 85' from garage where I wanted plug to go so I can charge inside, and out or the garage. I Also did want to run any other cable in the attic that gets tangled up in the trusses. Cable was 2.60' at Electrical Supply. Other stuff I had laying around at warehouse. ( About another $50 if I had to buy the other things I used) Picture shows 50, but has 40, and charges fine at 32 A, and doesn't get hot.

Attachments

• IMG_0445.jpg
    IMG_0445.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0446.jpg
    IMG_0446.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0448.jpg
    IMG_0448.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0449.jpg
    IMG_0449.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0450.jpg
    IMG_0450.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
There should be no issue using and 8/3 cord on a 14/50 plug. 14/50 plug lets you charge at 7.5 KW max, that's about 32 AMPS at 235V (I'm seeing as much as 33 miles/hr. 8/3 cord is good for 40 amp. It usually has 20+ strands per conductor making very flexible, and depending on the type of insulation, very durable. My panel was 85' from garage where I wanted plug to go so I can charge inside, and out or the garage. I Also did want to run any other cable in the attic that gets tangled up in the trusses. Cable was 2.60' at Electrical Supply. Other stuff I had laying around at warehouse. ( About another $50 if I had to buy the other things I used) Picture shows 50, but has 40, and charges fine at 32 A, and doesn't get hot.

Ouch. Multiple code violations and bad install. Don't do what this guy did.

LOL It's my house, I know it works, and the cable used is oversized, and it's for 600Volts. M3rwd max charge is 32A. More than enough for 40Amp cable. BTW It's the same cable used in fair grounds to power rides, that cars go over daily. Only code violation is I used Cord instead of romex. Yes you can use 8/3 romex for 32 amps, as long as its not exposed, and on a 40A breaker. I usually use( 2) 1" pvc stubs to get into/out of attic. I have a Meter with double lugs, and the 40 Amp disconnect is my second main. Only violation is the type of cable being used. But it works, and it's safe. And I've been an electrical contractor for the last 25 years. I've never had a single claim on my liability insurance or my State License. (if I needed 60A i'd use ENT and Thhn wires. But I Didnt need 60A. BTW I've installed quite a few EV chargers with permit. :) ✌️

Last edited:
Reactions: gt2690b