Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nema 14-50 or Nema 14-30 dryer outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do think your comments regarding Dryer Buddy, etc., are correct. It is always best to have a dedicated circuit if it is possible. Sometimes it is not economically possible, or someone is renting or will be moving soon, etc., so there is still a place for such devices depending on circumstances.

Good luck with whatever you do!
Totally agreed if you are living in an apartment or a townhouse rental I would go with a simple dryer splitter.

All right guys another update.
Finally installed the Nema 1450 outlet. Cost me around $1400 as I ended up purchasing the Bryant commercial nema outlet myself and had the technician install it for me. Took them under three hours for the entire installation. Luckily, there was an AC duct running through the basement so they didn’t had to cut any holes through the drywall. Now I get 31-32 mph charge speed which is plenty enough for my needs. I am charging daily because of the cold weather and below freezing temperatures at night. It’s almost one year since I purchased the M3 and now I get 265 miles on full charge. Dropped by 7 miles over a year. Hope that’s normal deterioration.

I bought my first TWC in 2022 for my Model X, and can't claim any tax credit for that, but I'm claiming the credit this year for a Tesla Wall Connector, and the MC cable, I bought for the little black M3 RWD Tessie we got back in September. My accountant said all I need is the receipts. Said nothing about needing a permit. I seriously doubt that the IRS cares, perhaps others can chime in.

If the IRS ever disputed it it would not be a big deal. Just pay the tax. If I were you I would claim the tax credit even if you just install the receptacle for the mobile connector.

Looks like this last quote is very good. Hope you make a decision soon.

I keep the mobile connector in my Model X for road trips, along with a Tesla extension cord made by Lectron. Got it included with the MX Tessie back in the day. Have used it a lot but I visit two different close friends in out of the way places where the closest supercharger is maybe 40-50 miles away. Have the adaptors to charge from dryer receptacles, NEMA 6-50 welding receptacle, and NEMA 5-15 and 5-20. It has come in very handy in these situations, and once I forgot it, and it was a hassle not having it when I got to my destination. Now it stays in the Frunk so it can never be forgotten.

Unless you think you will buy another EV during 2024 (or a Volkswagon EV, they seem to be holding out switching to NACS), I would just go with the standard Tesla Wall Connector. Or if you want to let any friends or family with CCS cars charge when they visit you, maybe go with the Universal WC.

This article says you can also claim the cost of a permit as part of the cost of installing ab EVSE but it does not say that to qualify for the tax credit that you MUST get a permit.

For anyone who comes along and reads this about the post 2022 tax credit:

I have discovered the tax credit does not apply if you live in an Urban area, unless it is a low income area. See the attached documents for more details.

Keep in mind not all cities are listed. For example, my city is not listed because it is part of the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale Metropolitan Statistical Area.

None of the articles I read in Forbes, etc., mentioned this. I expect very few people will live in al area that can qualify for this tax credit:

Attachments

• Federal Register __ 2020 Census Qualifying Urban Areas and Final Criteria Clarifications.pdf
    5.1 MB · Views: 25
  • Guidance on Post 2022 Alternative Fuel Vehicle Credit.pdf
    55.1 KB · Views: 33
All right guys another update.
Finally installed the Nema 1450 outlet. Cost me around $1400 as I ended up purchasing the Bryant commercial nema outlet myself and had the technician install it for me. Took them under three hours for the entire installation. Luckily, there was an AC duct running through the basement so they didn’t had to cut any holes through the drywall. Now I get 31-32 mph charge speed which is plenty enough for my needs. I am charging daily because of the cold weather and below freezing temperatures at night. It’s almost one year since I purchased the M3 and now I get 265 miles on full charge. Dropped by 7 miles over a year. Hope that’s normal deterioration.
That is great, glad you were able to make it happen.

7 miles is very good after a year.

Curious if, after reading what I and others wrote about our experiences with electrical inspections, you went with inspection or not?

That is great, glad you were able to make it happen.

7 miles is very good after a year.

Curious if, after reading what I and others wrote about our experiences with electrical inspections, you went with inspection or not?
No I didn’t. That would cost me another $600 going that route. Five out of seven electricians didn’t recommend Permit.

For anyone who comes along and reads this about the post 2022 tax credit:

I have discovered the tax credit does not apply if you live in an Urban area, unless it is a low income area. See the attached documents for more details.

Keep in mind not all cities are listed. For example, my city is not listed because it is part of the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale Metropolitan Statistical Area.

None of the articles I read in Forbes, etc., mentioned this. I expect very few people will live in al area that can qualify for this tax credit:
This is true for business/commercial use, but I'm not so certain that is the case for personal use. If you look at the form you actually file with your taxes, Form 8911, it seems to have different rules for business vs personal use.

See Form 8911 below:

See Form 8911 instructions:

You will note the instructions for "Part II" which is lines 2-9 (business use) vs. Part III which is lines 10-19 (personal use) seem to have different requirements per the instructions for those lines. Part III or the personal use lines make no mention of non-urban tracts or wage requirements as are noted in the Part II business use lines.

For the record, I am not certain but it seems asinine to have those rules apply to personal use property. But it is the gov't so...

Last edited:
This is true for business/commercial use, but I'm not so certain that is the case for personal use. If you look at the form you actually file with your taxes, Form 8911, it seems to have different rules for business vs personal use.

See Form 8911 below:

See Form 8911 instructions:

You will note the instructions for "Part II" which is lines 2-9 (business use) vs. Part III which is lines 10-19 (personal use) seem to have different requirements per the instructions for those lines. Part III or the personal use lines make no mention of non-urban tracts or wage requirements as are noted in the Part II business use lines.

For the record, I am not certain but it seems asinine to have those rules apply to personal use property. But it is the gov't so...
It would be great if you are correct, but this is from the instructions:

Property must be located in an eligible census tract.
Property placed in service after 2022 will not be treated as qualified alternative fuel vehicle refueling property unless the property is placed in service in an eligible census tract.
page2image530381664

Eligible census tract. For this purpose, an eligible census tract is any population census tract that:
• Is described in section 45D(e), or
• Is not an urban area.
For this purpose, an urban area is a census tract (as defined by the Bureau of the Census) that, according to the most recent decennial census, has been designated as an urban area by the Secretary of Commerce.

Where does it say this is not applicable to residential?

Reactions: Jeremy3292