Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dumb question -- Is it okay to drill above NEMA 14-50 outlet to install cable organizer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have always had the Tesla wall connector since I bought my Model 3 over a year ago. I am now selling my house and have made the decision to leave the wall connector behind. I am renting an apartment for the next year, and it is new construction with a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in the garage for EV charging. I am going to use the mobile connector with 14-50 adapter to charge for the next year. The NEMA outlet is installed as per code with the ground at the top. Of course this means the mobile connector will extend up from the outlet when in use. I need to install the cable organizer to secure the brick on the mobile connector. Is it okay to drill in the drywall directly above this NEMA outlet? I would assume the wiring going to the outlet would be secured to the stud beside the outlet, and recessed back from the sheetrock a bit. Am I overthinking this? Thanks for any helpful replies. 👍

The NEMA outlet is installed as per code with the ground at the top. Of course this means the mobile connector will extend up from the outlet when in use.
I think it is the opposite of that. If the ground pin is at the top, I think the Tesla plug is built so it goes down from there.
*EDIT* Yeah, I confirmed it from looking at the adapter on the Tesla site. If ground is on the top, it adapter hangs down.

Is it okay to drill in the drywall directly above this NEMA outlet? I would assume the wiring going to the outlet would be secured to the stud beside the outlet, and recessed back from the sheetrock a bit.
Well, I wouldn't assume where the wire is. It would be good to know what side it's coming in from, and avoid wherever it is.

Upvote 0
Huh. Then that means you flipped it around so the ground pin is on the bottom, and the cord and electronics box has to come awkwardly out the top, which I don't know is what you wanted.
Apparently, I didn't explain things correctly on my initial post. The initial orientation of the outlet had the mobile connector wire and box extending upward above the outlet when plugged in. It is now hanging down when plugged in after maintenance guy flipped the outlet.

Upvote 0
If you still want to install the wall mount (highly recommended) and use the supplied wall anchors, you don't neet to drill very deep. Just the depth of the wallboard. Hitting the wires would not be a concern. Note that when the wires pass through a stud, the electrician will sometimes put a metal plate on the stud so that you can't drill into the stud at that point. If you run into that, you'll have to pick a different spot.

Upvote 0
Locate and screw into a stud. You won't hit the wires and it's better than using drywall anchors.
It may not be practical to do so. Generally, the stud is going to be located next to the outlet box, and because of the short length of the cord with the plug, so you want to mount it directly below rather then put constant sideways pressure on the outlet.

Ironically, I just did one at home, and because my outlet box is mounted ON the wall instead of IN the wall, the stud was directly behind the outlet box, and I did mount it into the stud. However, the bend inwards to the wall mounted mobile connector, is pretty much all the bend it can take. I've been thinking of putting a 2x4 block under it to bring the mount out even with the outlet and take the strain off.

Upvote 0