Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I extend my Nema 14-50 from a different location?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello there,

I had an electrician installed a NEMA 14-50 outlet (50amp) back 4-5yrs and didn't think much of the outlet and location. So, he just added that outlet probably 4 ft inside from my Garage door. Using a plastic box looking outlet. not sure what brand. Now that I have a Model 3, I wanted to relocate the outlet closer to the garage door opening so I can plug the mobile charger or install a wall charger near the opening using the NEMA 14-50 plug&play.
1. Can I extend the 6/3 wire to relocate the outlet from the existing outlet? Or do I have to run it directly from the Panel and connect directly from the breaker?
2. Can I do this myself instead of having an electrician to do it?
3. I see a lot of people here uses Hubbel Nema 14-50 outlet. Is Bryant brand any good?

1) you can extend it by using the proper connectors, polaris is a popular brand name. Note that you'd need to keep the current box in place, covered by a blank plate. You aren't allowed to have a connection buried in the wall or to have dual 14-50's on the same feed wire.

2) you can, if you have the skills and the town/city allows it or you don't care that they don't.

3) Bryant is essentially the same as Hubbell

Great. Thank you for the info. I didnt' know Polaris is a connector to extend the nema 14-50. do you know which version to get?
Polaris is the name of the wire connector. Looking on amazon, they are much more expensive than I thought. Do you know whether the original wire is 6 or 8 gauge? It looks like there ARE wire nuts available for 8 or even 6 gauge wire, which shocked me ;)

• Funny
Reactions: dafish
For a 50Amp circuit it should be 6 gauge. When extending it, if it's not in the wall, it cannot be Romex. It is supposed to be in conduit. Flexible metal or plastic conduit is OK as far as I know. The wire inside should be THHN which you can buy at HD or Lowes. You can use the existing box if there is room in it for the connections. #6 wire nuts are going to be fun.

Polaris is the name of the wire connector. Looking on amazon, they are much more expensive than I thought. Do you know whether the original wire is 6 or 8 gauge? It looks like there ARE wire nuts available for 8 or even 6 gauge wire, which shocked me ;)
I'm sure it is a 6 gauge wire being used currently for the 50amp outlet. My electrician wouldn't use something smaller to jeopardize his license....

For a 50Amp circuit it should be 6 gauge. When extending it, if it's not in the wall, it cannot be Romex. It is supposed to be in conduit. Flexible metal or plastic conduit is OK as far as I know. The wire inside should be THHN which you can buy at HD or Lowes. You can use the existing box if there is room in it for the connections. #6 wire nuts are going to be fun.
Hi,

The THHN wires are the same as the one used in my current 6 gauge 50amp outlet? Can I get the 6/3 wire to extend it in a conduit? this way I don't have to but them separate?

Polaris is the name of the wire connector. Looking on amazon, they are much more expensive than I thought. Do you know whether the original wire is 6 or 8 gauge? It looks like there ARE wire nuts available for 8 or even 6 gauge wire

Not as elegant as Polaris connectors but less expensive, and not as difficult and risky as wire nuts:
You can use split bolts with electrical tape wrapped around as insulation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sophias_dad
Not as elegant as Polaris connectors but less expensive, and not as difficult and risky as wire nuts:
You can use split bolts with electrical tape wrapped around as insulation.

Yes, thanks for pointing this out. I considered mentioning split bolts but thought that three golf ball sized gobs of electrical tape would get a little unpleasant even in a 14-50 sized electrical box.

I'm never using wire nuts again after discovering WAGO connectors. Not sure if they make them for heavy gauge wiring though.

If I were @blodg8, I wouldn't splice a high amperage connection and leave a junction box on the wall just to save 4 feet of wiring (times 3 or 4 wires).

My recommendation is to get Tesla's HPWC. You can snag 100 feet of 4awg on Amazon for $139:

You'll need 3 wires, so this will get you up to 33 feet from your panel (but likely a bit less)

And here's 25ft of conduit with fittings for $48:

I'm never using wire nuts again after discovering WAGO connectors. Not sure if they make them for heavy gauge wiring though.

If I were @blodg8, I wouldn't splice a high amperage connection and leave a junction box on the wall just to save 4 feet of wiring (times 3 or 4 wires).

My recommendation is to get Tesla's HPWC. You can snag 100 feet of 4awg on Amazon for $139:

You'll need 3 wires, so this will get you up to 33 feet from your panel (but likely a bit less)

He said it was 4ft from the garage door. We don't know how far from the panel. If it's a short distance, then I'd agree with redoing the run.

Wait so the outlet is 4ft from the garage door but your mobile connector isn’t long enough? The cord is like 20 ft long. It should reach even if the outlet was near the front of the car.
I gathered he wanted to extend it to the outside wall rather then just plug the car in with the garage door open...but he hasn't been clear enough for anyone to give him decent advice.

• Helpful
Reactions: father_of_6

I've been using blue wirenuts on #6 AWG wire for 35 years. Not so much now, but my employees still do. If done right, they will work for ever.

I considered mentioning split bolts but thought that three golf ball sized gobs of electrical tape would get a little unpleasant even in a 14-50 sized electrical box.
I think "golf ball sized" (1.68" diameter) is a bit of an exaggeration. A spit bolt to join #6 stranded wire with a 1/8" layer of insulation would be no more than 1.5" long and 1" wide. If a fourth ground wire needed to be spliced, it wouldn't need to be insulated and might be of thinner gauge, requiring a smaller bolt or just a wire nut.

All of this should fit comfortably in a box that previously accommodated a 14-50 receptacle.