Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Travel charger pigtails I made today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well seeing as you asked . . .

1. you probably wouldn't run the dryer for three hours, maybe 30 to 45 minutes tops
  2. it's their dryer and anything that happens is on them. Once you add your stuff into the mix ... well let's put it theis way; what if it was your Air b&B and someone did this and something happpened? Not that it would, but what if?
I've been known to run more than three loads of laundry

Also I have an Airbnb would not bother me at all people crank the AC all the time and use more power than I'm talking about

A dryer will run the motor the entire cycle, but the heating element will usually go on and off during the cycle.
This is an important point many people don't understand. EV charging is a continuous load, and pretty much the only one you see in a residential situation. Almost all heating elements cycle on and off while in use, so they aren't a continuous load, despite what many people think.

I made a similar 14-30/50P -> 5-20R adapter for my wife's 12 amp Chevy Volt EVSE. I say 14-30/50 because since the neutral blade isn't being used, one can omit it entirely. Then the same plug can plug into either receptacle type. You could do the same and only need to carry two adapters, rather than three.

I eventually switched my mobile extension cord setup to mostly use off the shelf TT-30 RV parts, including the TT-30 UMC adapter from evseadapters. This allows up to 24 amp charging.

I made a similar 14-30/50P -> 5-20R adapter for my wife's 12 amp Chevy Volt EVSE. I say 14-30/50 because since the neutral blade isn't being used, one can omit it entirely. Then the same plug can plug into either receptacle type. You could do the same and only need to carry two adapters, rather than three.

I eventually switched my mobile extension cord setup to mostly use off the shelf TT-30 RV parts, including the TT-30 UMC adapter from evseadapters. This allows up to 24 amp charging.
The TT30 UMC adapter is expecting 120V... I guess it doesn't care if it comes in really high like 240V?

The TT30 UMC adapter is expecting 120V... I guess it doesn't care if it comes in really high like 240V?
The adapter only signals the amperage to the UMC. It and the UMC don't really care what the voltage is. The car just measures the voltage right off of the L2 and L2 pins. I'm pretty sure that when third parties make TT-30 adapters, they just start with one of the 240v 30a adapters that Tesla sells and change the plug.

Reactions: wws and Rocky_H
The adapter only signals the amperage to the UMC. It and the UMC don't really care what the voltage is. The car just measures the voltage right off of the L2 and L2 pins. I'm pretty sure that when third parties make TT-30 adapters, they just start with one of the 240v 30a adapters that Tesla sells and change the plug.
Interesting.. I could use my regular 5-15 with my adapters then and get 240 12a

Reactions: Rocky_H
Interesting.. I could use my regular 5-15 with my adapters then and get 240 12a
Yes. The only possible issue is going the other way (using a 240V adapter on 120V). The first gen mobile connector was definitely fussy about which side was connected to hot and which to ground; I wouldn't be surprised if the second gen is as well. This came up a lot with homemade TT-30 adapters (TT-30P to 10-30R/14-30R).

The MC does an internal GFCI test and needs hot on the one being tested or the test will fail (no current will flow neutral to ground in the test).

Well, I'll say it. This is selfish. You are abusing the trust of the unit owner by charging the car without permission. If you're so sure they wouldn't mind, then you would ask. But you won't ask because no one in their right mind would tell you to go ahead and drape homemade adapters and extension cords around their house.

thanks dave.. i did actually ask and this particular owner does not have a problem ... nor does my mother where i will be using these a little more often

So why not just make/buy a 14-30P or 10-30P to 14-50R? What you are doing sounds silly and unnecessarily dangerous. Then you can charge at 24 A at 240V.
uhh.. i did make a 14-30p to 14-50r... i chose to use #12 extension cords (vs #10 like u are suggesting) because 1) i already had them 2) they are multi-use 3) they are cheaper and 4) i only need them for this use 1 or 2 times per year max and 5) i can go a longer distance with what i have on hand