Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order before March 1 or wait until end of Q1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone ordered an upgrade color and upgrade interior? Tesla says you only get one so how much would they take off for this ? 2k I’m assuming since that’s the cost of black
View attachment 1032578
Black looks like the best deal right now because it’s already heavily discounted and you get an extra $2K discount for the paint upgrade. I can buy a black one right now for $43,890.

Black looks like the best deal right now because it’s already heavily discounted and you get an extra $2K discount for the paint upgrade. I can buy a black one right now for $43,890.

In my area, Grey with a white interior at 43,990 is the cheapest, close....

Debating which color would hide swirls better.

Apparently if the interior is white they won’t take 2k off a black one only 1k. The reduction is lesser of paint or interior. So If I want black I’ll go black interior to get the 2k off. I’m seeing 38,100 with 20 induction wheels after tax credit and color discount for black. Not a bad deal

In my area, Grey with a white interior at 43,990 is the cheapest, close....

Debating which color would hide swirls better.
Black is probably the worst color to maintain, both because swirls are easy to see and dirt is very visible. I did paint correction and ceramic coating on mine when I first bought it to try and protect it as best as possible. But I probably wouldn’t buy black again.

Reactions: vickh
Black is probably the worst color to maintain, both because swirls are easy to see and dirt is very visible. I did paint correction and ceramic coating on mine when I first bought it to try and protect it as best as possible. But I probably wouldn’t buy black again.

Yep. Have black. Debate is b/t white or grey. Also in AZ grey is cheapest b/c white isn't being discounted as much

I was busy completely rebuilding my home network yesterday so long post incoming to catch up. Apologies in advance.
Most people I know don’t exceed the federal income limits for single/married, but I’d guess there are plenty out there who don’t qualify. The ones I do know don’t generally buy used cars. More power to you if you can sell it for more.

Actually, most people who are focused on building their net worth don't buy new vehicles since that's the single biggest impact on a person's net worth, regardless of manufacturer. We only bought a new 2023 last year and this new 2024 this year because the sheer overwhelming abundance of incentives (from Tesla plus Federal & state governments) which help to offset new vehicle depreciation.

Example: We're getting $18,500 in total incentives to buy another MYLR. That will offset quite a few years of depreciation and helps to align the curve with the depreciation rate we'd have experienced buying used 3-4 years old which was our previously M.O.

I'm not sure what the purpose is of grouping all buyers into the same category serves for purposes of this conversation about EoQ Model Y pricing & incentives. My initial response was for the person stating flatly that the Tesla offer was the best, even if they didn't come through with the estimate they provided. I disagreed and the numbers support my stance that I can do at least as well as this and probably better on the open market via private party sale. I've sold half a dozen used Teslas now so I have a pretty good track record of making not a little but a LOT more than Tesla would have given me in every single one of them.

That said, this branch of conversation has veered off-topic as this conversation isn't about selling vs trading-in.

Back on topic...

I've read about Tesla reducing their trade in offer price. It was different for us, they messaged the trade in price via the app. I clicked accept. They UPS overnighted the paperwork from Fremont. We signed the 5-6 pages. Went to the UPS Store with the pre-paid shipping label and overnighted the paperwork back to them in Fremont. Two days later they sent me the bill via the app and I did a bank transfer via the app. Everything done and paid for before delivery. I actually didn't take delivery until 5 days later b/c I had to work, then my 1st off day we went to the Houston Rodeo, then the next day we drove to Austin to take delivery (it was a demo inventory MYLR).

grats @Chuck305

I did it through the website and selected the correct VIN of the Tesla I wished to get a trade quote from the list of them in our Tesla account. It walked me through a few questions and gave me a trade estimate, valid for 30 days. We haven't yet officially applied it to our new car because there's some errors with the pictures I took.

This would have been MUCH easier if they would have given you the option to take a picture or upload existing photos. I took some really good photos of the car just a few days earlier in good light with great results. Instead, I had to try to take photos at 6:00am and the lighting wasn't ideal. Now I'm in some sort of email loop trying to get them good photos so they can approve our trade.

Again, if I had some dent or ding that wasn't disclosed during the estimate process, I could see them lowering the value. If the car is immaculate (which it is) and they arbitrarily lower the trad value... that's some shady ish I don't play. I'll pull the trade and make more money on it selling it on the private market. I know others reward this type of bad behavior (which is why they do it) but I have no problem owning a 3rd Tesla until one of them sells privately. Hell, we've already done that three different times so nbd.

Anyone else seeing 10% adjustment on MYPs in your area (other than stealth gray)?

Missed out on a black/white MYP with 10% adj yesterday at $49,990…now patiently refreshing to try to have another pop-up so I can grab it.

For whatever reason the discounts on MYP in our region are like $1k or so. Pretty lame compared to the MYLR discounts. If they had similar 10% or so discounts on a MYP I might be tempted to buy two new Model Y's instead of the one we take delivery of tomorrow. Fortunately, they don't seem interested in discounting the Performance trim so that saves me $50k. lol

Baited me on my trade 40200 > 37100 for a 3 month MY with 2000 miles. Estimate to Trade Offer (2-3 hours). No way the market changed that much. If you're expecting a high trade, AVOID.

So you're saying that Tesla's estimate was $40,200 initially and then, at the time of actually trading it in, they dropped the figure to $37,100? What was the reason for this? Was there undisclosed issues they uncovered upon inspection or ??

Wow, I got 4 k more than Tesla's offer.

From? Carvana?

What was the March 19th deal?

My plan was to put a deposit on something in inventory on March 31, and delay payment/delivery until April 3rd when Oregon subsidy kicks back in.
Just understand that many (all?) of the current Tesla promotions require you to actually take delivery before 4/1. Just so you're aware that you'll be forfeiting some of those but maybe that Oregon subsidy is enough that it makes more sense to do it that way.

Reactions: Skavatar
To echo Ostrichsak , Don't miss out on the Tesla incentives, they all expire and require delivery not deposit by the 31st.....

What incentives? 5000 miles of charging doesn't get me excited (how do they measure a mile of charge, anyhow?). I don't own a Tesla or have a deposit on a CT, so nothing there for me. The only incentive I have is the price, which I assume locks in when you place a deposit, but I'm not sure.

Oregon's subsidy is $2,500, but it often runs out of funding and gets put on "pause".

What incentives? 5000 miles of charging doesn't get me excited (how do they measure a mile of charge, anyhow?). I don't own a Tesla or have a deposit on a CT, so nothing there for me. The only incentive I have is the price, which I assume locks in when you place a deposit, but I'm not sure.

Oregon's subsidy is $2,500, but it often runs out of funding and gets put on "pause".
The free interior or exterior upgrade color for instance. For us, we wanted a white interior so it chopped another $1k off of that price for a total of $6k off of the MSRP before any federal/state incentives. If you're getting black interior (and have no desire for white) and a free exterior color then I'd probably just take the $2,500 over the 5k s/c miles.

Reactions: redpoint5