Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order before March 1 or wait until end of Q1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on another MYLR this time a 2024 (obv) and Stealth Gray on White. The price was $44,990 or 10% off of MSRP plus the $1k additionally fore the white interior which was our target. Brand new, zero miles.

As an added bonus I submitted our 2023 w/over 20k miles on it and, much to my pleasant surprise, they're going to give me $31,500 for it. In our state, we'll save on the taxable amount between the trade-in and the new vehicle purchase so with that savings tacked on it's nearly $34k for our trade versus selling it outright. That's pretty solid and a couple grand more than I expected we'd see based on following some of the recent posts here from others w/similar vehicles they traded in the last few months.

$44,990 was the price after $5k discount. We'll get another $1k for the white interior making it $43,990 effectively. In our state, we've got a $5k EV tax credit plus the federal $7,500 one as well. That puts our purchase price at $31,400 before applicable tax & fees. Now, with that number in your head, refer back to the trade value we'll be getting for our 2023 w/over 20k miles.

We'd be crazy not to do it.
Congrats! Do you have a delivery date yet? Assuming during the weekend or Friday.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on another MYLR this time a 2024 (obv) and Stealth Gray on White. The price was $44,990 or 10% off of MSRP plus the $1k additionally fore the white interior which was our target. Brand new, zero miles.

As an added bonus I submitted our 2023 w/over 20k miles on it and, much to my pleasant surprise, they're going to give me $31,500 for it. In our state, we'll save on the taxable amount between the trade-in and the new vehicle purchase so with that savings tacked on it's nearly $34k for our trade versus selling it outright. That's pretty solid and a couple grand more than I expected we'd see based on following some of the recent posts here from others w/similar vehicles they traded in the last few months.

$44,990 was the price after $5k discount. We'll get another $1k for the white interior making it $43,990 effectively. In our state, we've got a $5k EV tax credit plus the federal $7,500 one as well. That puts our purchase price at $31,400 before applicable tax & fees. Now, with that number in your head, refer back to the trade value we'll be getting for our 2023 w/over 20k miles.

We'd be crazy not to do it.
I agree be crazy not to do it.

I wish AZ had a state credit+ more importantly I'm only getting ~$20K for my '19 SR 3 w/ 48k miles

Reactions: Skavatar
That's the estimate I received. Since I haven't taken delivery I don't yet have a confirmed price. If it varies from that, I'll just pull the trade from the deal.

but lose the sales tax credit. At least here in AZ. BTW It did drop a ~$1K for my estimate to delivery for my Prius. I balked but no negotiation so I just unassigned VIN for now since no rush

but lose the sales tax credit. At least here in AZ. BTW It did drop a ~$1K for my estimate to delivery for my Prius. I balked but no negotiation so I just unassigned VIN for now since no rush
Yes, I understand fully how taxable difference works. Even factoring in taxable difference, I would only need to sell my trade-in for $34k to break even. Anything above that would be money in my pocket.

It's really not that big of a deal for me to pull the trade if they play games with my trade estimate. The car is exactly as stated so they have no reason to decrease the figure other than playing shady games at the time of delivery.

Reactions: vickh
Yes, I understand fully how taxable difference works. Even factoring in taxable difference, I would only need to sell my trade-in for $34k to break even. Anything above that would be money in my pocket.

It's really not that big of a deal for me to pull the trade if they play games with my trade estimate. The car is exactly as stated so they have no reason to decrease the figure other than playing shady games at the time of delivery.

Yeah, I don't think they play games, but they are slaves to the algorithm compared to a traditional dealer. There, you can push back to save the deal.

In your case, the tax credits really help the deal. I'd do a trade up every year if our state had a credit.

Reactions: Skavatar
Yeah, I don't think they play games, but they are slaves to the algorithm compared to a traditional dealer. There, you can push back to save the deal.

In your case, the tax credits really help the deal. I'd do a trade up every year if our state had a credit.
Not really, no. I'm giving up roughly $3,000 for the "convenience" of being able to trade it in and walk away with the new one.

The trade offer that they gave me is quite literally the bottom of where I would even consider accepting it. $31,500 is not amazing based on what I paid for it.

The amount of tax that I save on the taxable difference when I trade it in is less than $1,500. That makes the total net value to me as a trade-in less than $34,000.

In other words, every dollar above that I sell it for on the private market is money in my pocket, not Tesla's.

I currently have it listed for upper $30s and could easily discount it to mid $30s and still net more money in my pocket than if I took that trade offer. Hell, I could fire sale it for $36k and have enough additional compared to trading it in to completely pay for the performance of grade if I so choose.

Even at those figures, I'm still debating pulling my trade from the deal and just keeping it listed. I've got tons of space in the garage so it's really a non-issue so I don't see it as a deal breaker either way. I've been known to stand on principal over far less money than that if they want to play games when I arrive to process the transaction.

So yeah, I don't see the taxable difference as really helping the deal at all. I don't anticipate them playing any games with me but I've read a few posts as of late where people have said that the day of their trade-in what they got was far less than the original estimate. In most cases, there were no details left out during the time of the estimate that were found at the time of trade in based on what they said.

I'm going into this with an open mind but the moment they try to fudge the numbers in their favor based on no new information it will immediately validate those other posts that I saw.

Here's to hoping they don't try to play any games with me because I will make sure that everyone I come into contact with will know the full details of said shenanigans which will far out way the pennies they would have made off of my individual transaction.

Not really, no. I'm giving up roughly $3,000 for the "convenience" of being able to trade it in and walk away with the new one.

The trade offer that they gave me is quite literally the bottom of where I would even consider accepting it. $31,500 is not amazing based on what I paid for it.

The amount of tax that I save on the taxable difference when I trade it in is less than $1,500. That makes the total net value to me as a trade-in less than $34,000.

In other words, every dollar above that I sell it for on the private market is money in my pocket, not Tesla's.

I currently have it listed for upper $30s and could easily discount it to mid $30s and still net more money in my pocket than if I took that trade offer. Hell, I could fire sale it for $36k and have enough additional compared to trading it in to completely pay for the performance of grade if I so choose.

Even at those figures, I'm still debating pulling my trade from the deal and just keeping it listed. I've got tons of space in the garage so it's really a non-issue so I don't see it as a deal breaker either way. I've been known to stand on principal over far less money than that if they want to play games when I arrive to process the transaction.

So yeah, I don't see the taxable difference as really helping the deal at all. I don't anticipate them playing any games with me but I've read a few posts as of late where people have said that the day of their trade-in what they got was far less than the original estimate. In most cases, there were no details left out during the time of the estimate that were found at the time of trade in based on what they said.

I'm going into this with an open mind but the moment they try to fudge the numbers in their favor based on no new information it will immediately validate those other posts that I saw.

Here's to hoping they don't try to play any games with me because I will make sure that everyone I come into contact with will know the full details of said shenanigans which will far out way the pennies they would have made off of my individual transaction.
Why would anyone buy your used 2023 LR w/20K miles for the fire sale price of $36K when they could go to Tesla and buy new for $31,400 plus applicable taxes and fees? Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand what would drive that level of resale value. Assuming Tesla’s offer stands I’d take it and run.

Reactions: Mike728 and vickh
Why would anyone buy your used 2023 LR w/20K miles for the fire sale price of $36K when they could go to Tesla and buy new for $31,400 plus applicable taxes and fees? Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand what would drive that level of resale value. Assuming Tesla’s offer stands I’d take it and run.
Your question is flawed because it assumes all buyers qualify for all incentives.

EOQ AMAZING DEAL 2024 Model Y Dual Motor Long Range

Ultra Red
20" Induction Wheels
MSRP $52.990+$1390 Dest Fee & $250 Order Fee
Price Adj $5300
Less $3000 Referral Bonus (Free $2k Ultra Red + Cybertruck discount)

Total Price $46,330
Less $7500 Fed Tax Credit
Less $500 NY EV Credit

FINAL SELLING PRICE $38,330 for a Brand NEW optioned Model Y

PLUS 10,000 loyalty points which gets us free $2k acceleration boost
5000 supercharger miles and 12 months of premium connectivity

We wanted to wait for the refreshed Model Y but this is an unbeatable deal AND the Tesla employees have been amazing unlike Rivian where we left a $1k deposit on a R1S which is almost triple the price compared to the Model Y. Rivian couldnt even follow up or call us back over the past 10 days.

That's the estimate I received. Since I haven't taken delivery I don't yet have a confirmed price. If it varies from that, I'll just pull the trade from the deal.

I've read about Tesla reducing their trade in offer price. It was different for us, they messaged the trade in price via the app. I clicked accept. They UPS overnighted the paperwork from Fremont. We signed the 5-6 pages. Went to the UPS Store with the pre-paid shipping label and overnighted the paperwork back to them in Fremont. Two days later they sent me the bill via the app and I did a bank transfer via the app. Everything done and paid for before delivery. I actually didn't take delivery until 5 days later b/c I had to work, then my 1st off day we went to the Houston Rodeo, then the next day we drove to Austin to take delivery (it was a demo inventory MYLR).

grats @Chuck305

Has anyone ordered an upgrade color and upgrade interior? Tesla says you only get one so how much would they take off for this ? 2k I’m assuming since that’s the cost of black
IMG_4911.jpeg

Has anyone ordered an upgrade color and upgrade interior? Tesla says you only get one so how much would they take off for this ? 2k I’m assuming since that’s the cost of black
View attachment 1032578
Yes, I got the red color upgrade. Tesla will take the cost of the upgrade off your car price after you place the order. The price reduction is on whichever color upgrade is more expensive so, yeah, cost of black would be taken off.