Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can't decide!! Used S vs new Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It isn't quite as simple as the title suggests.

My M3 was written off. I have two insurance policies. The first already paid me what they said the depreciated value was. The second pays me the difference between whatever I buy, and what the first policy paid me, up to the value of a black 2023 M3 LR with FSD +$3k.

I already have a deposit on a MY and a delivery appointment on Thursday (in 48 hours from now). I've got airfare and a hotel booked to go get it.

But then I found a listing for a 2023 MS (not plaid) with white seats, FSD, yolk, plus full Xpel PPF (about $6k here) and less than 25000 km.

I would be out of pocket by about $9.5k with the MS, which I totally think is worth it.

The dilemma?

1) is there anything weird in buying a used Tesla where they strip off the FSD or something? I know some things aren't transferable?
2) the leg room in the MY is reportedly 5 full inches more in the rear. My son is 12 now, but he'll be adult sized before long. Is a road trip going to be more comfortable for my family in the S or the Y?
3) the cargo space in the Y is considerable more
4) the big dilemma: the insurance company adjuster is telling me a used vehicle bought from a private seller won't qualify for the full payout. I disagree. I can read a contract and there's no such restriction. That said, it might take a fight in court to get the full value (or just getting the right manager on the line). There's a minimum amount they'll pay me anyway... it ends up being about a $15k difference. So, potentially, the S is $24.5k more.

All $ discussed are Canadian dollars. C$1 =~ US$0.75

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

The safe bet is the Y. But man... a practically brand new S with full PPF for one $9.5k-$24.5k out of pocket?

I wish I wasn't so pressed for time here lol.

Ps. I had a 2015 S and a 2019 3 so I'm at least somewhat familiar with the vehicles.

Last edited:

My M3 was written off. I have two insurance policies. The first already paid me what they said the depreciated value was. The second pays me the difference between whatever I buy, and that the first policy paid me, up to the value of a black 2023 M3 LR with FSD +$3k.

I already have a deposit on a MY and a delivery appointment on Thursday (in 48 hours from now). I've got airfare and a hotel booked to go get it.

But then I found a listing for a 2023 MS (not plaid) with white seats, FSD, yolk, plus full Xpel PPF (about $6k here) and less than 25000 km.

I would be out of pocket by about $9.5k with the MS, which I totally think is worth it.

The dilemma?

1) is there anything weird in buying a used Tesla where they strip off the FSD or something? I know some things aren't transferable?
2) the leg room in the MY is reportedly 5 full inches more in the rear. My son is 12 now, but he'll be adult sized before long. Is a road trip going to be more comfortable for my family in the S or the Y?
4) the big dilemma: the insurance company adjuster is telling me a used vehicle bought from a private seller won't qualify for the full payout. I disagree. I can read a contract and there's no such restriction. That said, it might take a fight in court to get the full value (or just getting the right manager on the line). There's a minimum amount they'll pay me anyway... it ends up being about a $15k difference. So, potentially, the S is $25k more.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

The safe bet is the Y. But man... a practically brand new S with full PPF for one $10k-$25k out of pocket?

Ps. I had a 2015 S and a 2019 3 so I'm at least somewhat familiar with the vehicles.
I had a S for >3 years before transitioning to a model 3 in 2018. I haven’t missed the S one time. The S was a lot larger with no more interior space, drove like a boat. Unless you were talking plad (which you are not) I can’t think of a single reason I would take a S over a Y or 3, even for the same price.

Really? As I said, I've had both. In my opinion, my 2015 S was superior to my 2019 3 in every single way other than my 3 had FSD and my S didn't. Suspension is a bajillion times better. And it was sooooo much faster. The acceleration was insane (figuratively and by name) while the 3 isn't bad, but it isn't the same.

I had a P85D which has the same 0-60 time as the standard 2023 S. Plaid is much quicker, but acceleration is apples-to-apples to the S I had previously.

The S also looks better, IMO.

Supposedly the new S's are quiet too. My S was loud from wind/road noise and my 3 was only marginally better.

The S seems to have more driver room, and I am a big guy. But a fraction of an inch here or there compared to the 5 inches of more legroom for my son... I think that's a big one, but I'm not sure.

I guess my Q for current S owners is: how's the comfort in terms of rear passenger? As I said, my kid is only 12. But I'm 6'4" and for all I know he might get there (probably not. Likely a little under 6'. Wife is only 5'2 lol). I want to keep his comfort in mind, especially if I hope to convince him to go on road trips when he's older :)

Thanks for the input!

What features present in the S, not in the Y, are important to you?

Feel like that’s the burning question. Have had two S in five years, both a Y and 3 as loaners. Would NOT go to a 3. But would consider a Y (I am 6’4). However, there are definitive features in the S I would miss.

I guess my Q for current S owners is: how's the comfort in terms of rear passenger? As I said, my kid is only 12. But I'm 6'4" and for all I know he might get there (probably not. Likely a little under 6'. Wife is only 5'2 lol). I want to keep his comfort in mind, especially if I hope to convince him to go on road trips when he's older :)
I have put two cars seats in my S. Is it comfortable for them? Probably not with the size of the car seats. But they are four and two. With a 3 or Y be any better? I doubt it.

I do move my seat up for when I have the car seat behind me. Wife is 5’3 and has no issues with the car.

My M3 was written off. I have two insurance policies. The first already paid me what they said the depreciated value was. The second pays me the difference between whatever I buy, and what the first policy paid me, up to the value of a black 2023 M3 LR with FSD +$3k.

The dilemma?

4) the big dilemma: the insurance company adjuster is telling me a used vehicle bought from a private seller won't qualify for the full payout. I disagree. I can read a contract and there's no such restriction. That said, it might take a fight in court to get the full value (or just getting the right manager on the line). There's a minimum amount they'll pay me anyway... it ends up being about a $15k difference. So, potentially, the S is $24.5k more.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

The safe bet is the Y. But man... a practically brand new S with full PPF for one $9.5k-$24.5k out of pocket?

The Cargo space in the MS is better. I can fit 3 golfbags in my MS and only 2 in my MY.

The MS is better in every way and while the rear legroom is better due to the seat risers, the front leg room is better in the MS and you can provide additional legroom to those in the back.

I have a 22 MS LR and 2 MYs, 2021 and 2022. The range, charging speeds, ride quality, acceleration...everything is better except for how low the MS is and I think the seats are slightly more comfortable, but that's it.

I think the MS is a 40k better car than the MY, but at the same price...1000% better. The MY is so inefficient on the interstate, I rarely will take one on trips...I have to charge twice for a 300 mile trip where I can get there and 1/4 of the way back in my MS.

I'm biased as I wouldn't take a Y over a slightly used S.

The looks, practicality (enough space for a fairly tall person in the rear seats, the hatchback versatility ) and comfort just trump the Y IMO.

The Y is just too much of an "appliance" for me personally. Not knocking anyone else that disagrees with that.

Reactions: pilotSteve
I went from a 3 to an S and have a decent bit of seat time with the Y.

Go with the S. It’s a much better car. More comfortable, better handling, more power, nicer interior. The Y is also ****ing ugly. If you were looking at pre refresh models it might be a different story, but a refresh car is superior in pretty much all aspects.

I would say the one area the Y might be better is rear passenger comfort - mostly because of the rear bench to floor height. Whether or not this is a big issue for your family depends on how tall your son is, how tall he’ll get, and how much room he’d have behind whichever seat he picks.

The rear middle seat is also quite uncomfortable to the point where I think it’d be better to think of the car as a 4 seater.

I had an S for eight years, now driving a Y. I would NOT go back to the S.
Ok, but an 8 year old S is lacking a lot of what every Model Y has, in terms of build quality and tech (and range). A lot has changed in 8 years though.
What features present in the S, not in the Y, are important to you?

Feel like that’s the burning question.
The range, acceleration and ride quality (though I've never driven a Y) are probably the answers to that question. And not for nothing... the Xpel PPF that's already on the S that I'd have to pay extra for on the Y.

None of these are deal-breakers if the Y is considerably more comfortable for my son in the back.
I have put two cars seats in my S. Is it comfortable for them? Probably not with the size of the car seats. But they are four and two. With a 3 or Y be any better? I doubt it.

I do move my seat up for when I have the car seat behind me. Wife is 5’3 and has no issues with the car.
I'd love to hear from some people that have adult-sized passengers in the back! Again, my son is 12 and he'd be fine back there... but what about when he's 16? I'll still have the car when he's 16. I don't change out my cars very frequently (except when old men plow into mine after confusing their pedals!)
The Cargo space in the MS is better. I can fit 3 golfbags in my MS and only 2 in my MY.

The MS is better in every way and while the rear legroom is better due to the seat risers, the front leg room is better in the MS and you can provide additional legroom to those in the back.

I have a 22 MS LR and 2 MYs, 2021 and 2022. The range, charging speeds, ride quality, acceleration...everything is better except for how low the MS is and I think the seats are slightly more comfortable, but that's it.

I think the MS is a 40k better car than the MY, but at the same price...1000% better. The MY is so inefficient on the interstate, I rarely will take one on trips...I have to charge twice for a 300 mile trip where I can get there and 1/4 of the way back in my MS.
The cargo is better in the S? The numbers don't agree with that. The S has 1,739 litres with the seats down compared to 2,041L in the Y. But numbers don't always consider *usable* space. I do remember appreciating the cavernous hatch in the S. Compared to the tiny trunk of the 3, which I hated.

When you say "you can provide additional legroom to those in the back"...

I wonder: when they quote rear legroom, I assumed that's with the front seat all the way forward. Is that wrong? It can't be all the way back, because then the Hyunai Kona would have to say "zero" lol

I agree with your sentiment about value being far better for this model S vs Y.

The question becomes: How much better is the rear legroom in the Y?

Reactions: El joe
I went from a 3 to an S and have a decent bit of seat time with the Y.

Go with the S. It’s a much better car. More comfortable, better handling, more power, nicer interior. The Y is also ****ing ugly. If you were looking at pre refresh models it might be a different story, but a refresh car is superior in pretty much all aspects.

I would say the one area the Y might be better is rear passenger comfort - mostly because of the rear bench to floor height. Whether or not this is a big issue for your family depends on how tall your son is, how tall he’ll get, and how much room he’d have behind whichever seat he picks.

The rear middle seat is also quite uncomfortable to the point where I think it’d be better to think of the car as a 4 seater.

Actually you make a good point. My wife is only 5'2 and perhaps the S passenger seat can move forward more than the 3 can. He sits behind her because there's more room. He's getting taller, but she won't be :)

Ok, so the new question: Which car has more rear leg room on the passenger side with the front seat moved all the way forward?

Reactions: cwanja
I've been in a similar boat - my Model S was totaled by a drunk driver earlier this year, and while I was fully paid out by insurance, it got me thinking, should I shop a comparable used S to replace what I had, or get a brand new Model Y (which would be the same price after tax credits)?

But since I already had a Model S, there's a bit of "been there, done that" with getting a like replacement, though I like the car; but also since we are getting along with being a one-car household with a Model 3, I feel like the Model Y will look feel very similar inside to the Model 3, just with different driving dynamics.

Six months later, still can't decide....

Reactions: olsookie
I've been in a similar boat - my Model S was totaled by a drunk driver earlier this year, and while I was fully paid out by insurance, it got me thinking, should I shop a comparable used S to replace what I had, or get a brand new Model Y (which would be the same price after tax credits)?

But since I already had a Model S, there's a bit of "been there, done that" with getting a like replacement, though I like the car; but also since we are getting along with being a one-car household with a Model 3, I feel like the Model Y will look feel very similar inside to the Model 3, just with different driving dynamics.

Six months later, still can't decide....
Lol, my wife would kill me if I was still at this 6 months from now.

I get the "been there done that" feeling. I took a hard look at every non-Tesla option, because frankly I'm a bit sick of this company, shitty customer service, and whack-job leadership. And the fact that they STILL haven't figured out how to paint a car properly. But that's a whole different thread lol. Bottom line is they are still the most compelling electric option for me.

As far as "brand new" vs used... I mean, this "used" S is just *barely* used.

Reactions: El joe
Ok, but an 8 year old S is lacking a lot of what every Model Y has, in terms of build quality and tech (and range). A lot has changed in 8 years though.

The range, acceleration and ride quality (though I've never driven a Y) are probably the answers to that question. And not for nothing... the Xpel PPF that's already on the S that I'd have to pay extra for on the Y.

None of these are deal-breakers if the Y is considerably more comfortable for my son in the back.

I'd love to hear from some people that have adult-sized passengers in the back! Again, my son is 12 and he'd be fine back there... but what about when he's 16? I'll still have the car when he's 16. I don't change out my cars very frequently (except when old men plow into mine after confusing their pedals!)

The cargo is better in the S? The numbers don't agree with that. The S has 1,739 litres with the seats down compared to 2,041L in the Y. But numbers don't always consider *usable* space. I do remember appreciating the cavernous hatch in the S. Compared to the tiny trunk of the 3, which I hated.

When you say "you can provide additional legroom to those in the back"...

I wonder: when they quote rear legroom, I assumed that's with the front seat all the way forward. Is that wrong? It can't be all the way back, because then the Hyunai Kona would have to say "zero" lol

I agree with your sentiment about value being far better for this model S vs Y.

The question becomes: How much better is the rear legroom in the Y?
The MY has a higher storage area in the back, so you could stack things, but the MS has a larger surface area. With adult golf clubs, they are too long to fit in any way but at an angle in either car and in the MY I cannot get 2 in there in that arrangement, so I have to stack them, but they get too high to close the trunk after 2...I have fit 4 adults clubs in my MS with my sons 8 club mini bag (barely, had to force the trunk closed), but I put 3 in almost every Sunday.

This is how they measure rear legroom:

Rear leg room is the horizontal distance between the rear and front seatback, with front leg room set at 40 inches. These are measured using a 5' 9" passenger as a guide

The risers really provide the legroom, it's actually smaller back there, but I have had no issues with the adults I take to play golf in the MS.

Regardless, it's negligible. The biggest thing for me is that the MY is so inefficient and probably the worst ride of all Teslas. It's a fine vehicle for the price, but comparing it to a MS is like comparing a Civic to a Lexus.

Reactions: bcsteeve
I have an S and my wife has a Y performance. She hates the S. She thinks it's uncomfortable and hard to get in and out of.

If this is a family car, get the Y. It's higher to the ground and much more family friendly. If this is your car and your daily driver, get the S.

Reactions: dsm363

So your ultimate buying decision is rear-seat comfortability for a teenager and then young adult?

5 inches is all you get more in a Y than a S for rear leg room (per Compare Tesla Model S vs Tesla Model Y).

Is 5 inches worth more to you than all of of the below (from your own comment)? How often is the teenager, soon to be young adult, riding in the back versus where they might in the front seat.