Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S vs 3 /Y appearance and perception

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I completely understand looks are subjective, but I had a discussion with customer at Mercedes the other day. I was describing how “Tesla” in general makes every other vehicle feel “slow” … to wish she replied that Teslas are “ugly”. I was a bit taken aback by the comment but then I realized she might have been referring to the 3/Y line, not the sleeker MS. Is the super popular M3 / MY line creating a perception problem for the MS? After all you see many more of them on the roads and that is the perception when people think of Tesla. Just wanted to share with this forum. Thanks for your comments.

kinda agree, although i started with a m3p, i always felt it was kinda awkward. wheels, spacers, coilovers helped make it a little better for me but i still wasnt crazy about it. i recently upgraded to a msp and i gotta say, im much happier with its aesthetics. just not crazy about its size..

Reactions: mm9351
Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: mm9351 and drb3333
I do tend to agree that Teslas outside of the S are pretty ugly. The S is still a great design, but certainly a bit outdated at this point.

The 3/Y looking like eggs on wheels and being absolutely everywhere probably does hurt the brand appeal to some degree. But it is what it is.
I own a Y and could not agree more, a Tesla isn’t made for looks. However, aerodynamics wise an egg is pretty effective traveling through the air.

1711246354472.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: mm9351
She must only be seeing the back end of the Tesla's all the time, I think the front of her Mercedes looks like crap in my rear view mirror, the good news is, it gets smaller and smaller as I accelerate off the line.

There are some real beauties here (S). 10 Ugliest Mercedes-Benz Cars In History

But they also have some really "hot" models too: Mercedes-Benz recalls 116,000 vehicles. Find out affected models, where to fix in Ohio

The 2006 SLR McLaren 722 looks like a blobfish
Honestly, I'd say the model Y is probably on par with that A-class and the rest are better looking than the Y. 3 maybe pulls ahead of the other vans/SUVs, but otherwise is still quite the ugly duckling compared to the rest.

Once in awhile when I look at my Y from the side I am amazed that I own such a good looking car. Taste is relative. I do think the 3 is better looking due to smaller profile. When you see a Y or 3 on the road you automatically think Tesla which must be good for the brand.

Reactions: mm9351 and drb3333