Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can't decide!! Used S vs new Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two comments.
The latest Highland Model 3 refresh is reported to have much better rear seats.

Perhaps the real solution to your dilema is to test a Model X. Much greater rear seat comfort, easier entry/exit for tall people, lots of space for people and cargo, still pretty fast etc. Biggest issue is that it does not look as cool as the beautiful Model S.

Good luck with what ever you choose.
I agree that the X ticks off a lot of boxes. I looked. Just none in a price and/or age I would consider.

Yes - the 3/Y seats are absolutely identical - same part numbers and everything. The only difference is that the Y seat tracks are mounted up on "stilts" so the seat sits higher ... but the actual seat is 100% the same between 3 and Y.

Model S is just bolstered differently, but same frame.
Good to know, thanks. With that, I personally could not own a Y with the current seats.

Despite the news attempting to draw bait by referencing the Tesla, the fire started in the basement at the electric panel and the car wasn't even charging. Even though it may not look that bad from the picture in the article, the house was extensively damages. It was basically a 100% loss on the inside. Both cars were totaled. That was years of my life I hope to never repeat.
That's horrible. Glad you're ok otherwise though.

But congrats on the new car.

Reactions: cwanja
I also wouldn't judge much by a pre-Raven Model S .. the Raven suspension was a gigantic improvement, and Palladium a bit better yet. If you haven't had a chance, give a current-gen Model S a test drive.
Went from a 2016 MS with coil to a 2023 with the latest air suspension. The most notable thing is that my spouse no longer gets motion sickness on hilly roads. She *does* get motion sickness from sport or insane mode acceleration, which is why I didn't bother with the Plaid.

Reactions: dmurphy
So I know this is a little late since you already bought the car, but might help anyone else picking between the two

I’m visiting my parents this weekend and my dad’s X is in service and he has a loaner Y. So I had an opportunity to compare the back seats directly.

So as expected, the floor to bench height on the Y is nice, it allows your legs to sit at a more comfortable angle compared to say an S or a 3. The Y’s seat risers also do allow you to tuck your feet under them, making the effective leg room more than you would expect for an otherwise small car.

However, unless you’re sitting behind someone very tall, there’s enough room in the S to stretch out your legs and make this reasonably comfortable. Where the S is better is the seat back itself. They’re well bolstered and support you in the right places. Far more comfortable than the Y’s, which feels more akin to a park bench. The overall width of the S lets you stretch out a bit more and makes things feel less claustrophobic. Overall if I had to pick the back seat of one for a long trip, it’d probably be the S. Caveat being I haven’t felt the ride quality from the back seat in either car, so YMMV there (though overall the S has much better suspension so I’d be surprised if the Y felt better from that perspective)

Hope that helps. Seems like most of the other direct comparisons in this thread were with the pre-refresh S, which to my memory was a fair bit less comfortable than the current model in the back.

1000001401.jpg

Good choice with the S. No ragrets. I went from a MYP to MSP 10000% more enjoyable. The air suspension, ventilated seats, mind blowing acceleration. Congrats and enjoy!

Attachments

• 72316714471__B7C940F6-F794-45FF-9F32-EDCB63F3C1DF.jpeg
    72316714471__B7C940F6-F794-45FF-9F32-EDCB63F3C1DF.jpeg
    637.2 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: ModelX