Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S vs. Y, used.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I am pretty much committed to purchasing an EV within the next six months.

I am looking at used S vs used Y (I never buy new anymore, it just doesn't make financial sense to eat the immediate depreciation for me) budget is $50k.

No X, no 3. I don't like the overly compicated X doors, and I have a giant malamute dog, so no 3 because it quite frankly won't fit them.

I know people are pretty opinionated about these kinds of things... which one do you guys think I should get?

Right now for that price it looks like I can pick up a ~2020-ish S with ~30k-ish miles vs. basically "near new" Y.

Whatever I buy will become my primary vehicle and not a second car.

So, who has experience with both S and Y, what are the differences you actually notice between the two?

I wouldn’t get an S older than 2021. 2021+ got a significant update of the electronics. 2020 and older will be missing a lot of features people expect from a Tesla now (eg phone key, blind spot camera, sentry mode live camera access).

And sometimes “near new” Model Y are more expensive than a new one. Especially if you qualify for the tax credit. Even if not, sometimes inventory deals can be pretty good depending on location and timing (more discounts towards end of quarter but they’re currently still trying to clear out 2023 inventory and demos).

I wouldn’t get an S older than 2021. 2021+ got a significant update of the electronics. 2020 and older will be missing a lot of features people expect from a Tesla now (eg phone key, blind spot camera, sentry mode live camera access).

And sometimes “near new” Model Y are more expensive than a new one. Especially if you qualify for the tax credit. Even if not, sometimes inventory deals can be pretty good depending on location and timing (more discounts towards end of quarter but they’re currently still trying to clear out 2023 inventory and demos).

Thanks for the heads up, I was actually unaware of the refresh in 21'.

Just got done watching a video about it and it is indeed substantial.

Although I don't know how I feel about electronically controlled vents, that seems extremely superfluous and prone to breaking vs. manual vents.