Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Optimum Supercharger driving speed -- for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Never drive faster than you can charge, unless you don't need to charge until the destination.

So if your average charging rate is 65 mph to get to the next stop, it makes no sense to driver faster since you will just have to sit longer.

Driving with a low battery (one that just gets you to where you need to go) and being the only one on the supercharge bank will be the biggest determination of charging rate, plus of course how much SOC you need to make it to the next stop. That's why sometimes its better to slow down and/or charge more often.

Back to Systemcrashed: I would like to see some data on the range increase due to drafting, especially drafting large trucks.

On a recent 3000 mile trip, I noticed a signifcant improvement when following trucks, but our route was too hilly to take meaningful data. My guess on improvement was about 10%.

Now back in the flatlands (Florida), I will try to take data. One good parameter is to set the cruise control so that the Tesla follows a truck at a set distance. I followed trucks that were going 65 mph. I set the cruise control to a safe #7 and to greater than 65 mph so that I would stay a constant distance behind the truck. (At #7, the following time was 2.5 seconds. At #1, it was 1.0 seconds, too close for me.)

Perhaps we should start a thread on Range Improvement Due to Drafting? I request member interest.

Back to Systemcrashed: I would like to see some data on the range increase due to drafting, especially drafting large trucks.

On a recent 3000 mile trip, I noticed a signifcant improvement when following trucks, but our route was too hilly to take meaningful data. My guess on improvement was about 10%.

Now back in the flatlands (Florida), I will try to take data. One good parameter is to set the cruise control so that the Tesla follows a truck at a set distance. I followed trucks that were going 65 mph. I set the cruise control to a safe #7 and to greater than 65 mph so that I would stay a constant distance behind the truck. (At #7, the following time was 2.5 seconds. At #1, it was 1.0 seconds, too close for me.)

Perhaps we should start a thread on Range Improvement Due to Drafting? I request member interest.
I'm curious what the findings are. I haven't thought about drafting since I was a poor University student in the early 90s (driving a 1978, 4-cylinder stick Ford Ranger). Back then I did it to save gas money. :)

I notice at least a 10% improvement,based on lower WH/m. Setting suspension to very low (on good roads) also improves WH/m. By doing all the above and keeping Range mode on, I have been able to cruise at 70mph using only 280-300wh/m. Outside temp and winds make this vary significantly, but by doing these things when you're in a pinch for a few miles will definitely help. Drafting too close can be dangerous, too far might not be as effective. 5 car lengths seems to be the sweet spot for me.