Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitoring System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Using OVMS Social Group "REFUEL" for Laguana Seca this Sunday, July 1

If you're running in the annual Refuel event at Laguna Seca this Sunday and have OVMS, why not add the Social Group REFUEL? That way people can watch us race virtually, either via the OVMS app, or by going to maps.google.com and entering the following into the search box: http://tmc.openvehicles.com:6868/group?id=REFUEL

I'll also be running under the REFUEL42 Social Group, in case you want to see how I'm doing (I'm car #42). I'll also have GPS streaming on, so you should get reasonable updates.

I'll set that REFUEL group when I'm there. (BTW: a spot opened up - thanks augkuo!)

If you're running in the annual Refuel event at Laguna Seca this Sunday and have OVMS, why not add the Social Group REFUEL? That way people can watch us race virtually, either via the OVMS app, or by going to maps.google.com and entering the following into the search box: http://tmc.openvehicles.com:6868/group?id=REFUEL

I'll also be running under the REFUEL42 Social Group, in case you want to see how I'm doing (I'm car #42). I'll also have GPS streaming on, so you should get reasonable updates.

That has been talked about but nothing official.

Roadster - new options

And, my opinion (from 19th March):

Sounds like they are building their own Tattler / OVMS?

I doubt it. Speaking for OVMS, and as a v2.5 Roadster owner and Model S reservation holder, I would really love to have Tesla extend their Model S iPhone app to roadster owners. However, the v1.5 vs v2.x vs Model S are worlds apart in terms of functionality.

• The v1.5 roadsters have no GSM hardware built in. To support these cars they would need to add on a hardware module, and that would be a lot of work (I know, I've done it). A huge investment for Tesla, considering it is < 500 cars.
  • The v2.x roadsters have the GSM hardware built in as well as a link back to Tesla HQ. To support these cars, Tesla would presumably need changes to the roadster firmware, plus extensions to their server infrastructure, plus extensions to the App they have built. Not too difficult.
  • The Model S cars have it all, and the Tesla App has already been built for it. It was designed that way from the start, rather than a retro-fit.

The v2.x roadsters are certainly close to the Model S in terms of the hardware needed for this, but the questions of who pays for the data plan and getting the firmware, server and app changes made are not trivial. The big question is whether Tesla will invest the engineering time into doing this - I hope they will, but realise that Model S is what will make/break Tesla not supporting Roadsters with new features. My biggest hope would have seen them doing this with the justification that it would be a test bed for the Model S App and Server rollout. Something they could do to work out the kinks before the Model S is launched. But, that would have meant we would have seen it by now, and we haven't.

To put this in perspective - anyone over 5'9" tall has been crying out for Tesla to replace the readout in the speedometer with a digital speedo (rather than amps/trip/whatever). The inability to simply see the speed you are travelling has been a problem affecting roadster owners for years. I've seen the bus messages, I've prototyped the fix, and I know it is literally a few lines of code to be changed in the VMS and instrument panel code. It is really that easy. But, Tesla haven't invested the engineering to get that simple feature added. The reason? Even for a couple of lines of code, they would have to (a) test it, (b) validate it, (c) certify it, (d) update the documentation, (e) update/educate the owners, (f) deal with the fallout if there were any regression issues introduced.

In the past 18 months, the firmware updates we've seen include a new memorial screen, cabin temperature tweaks, and support for new headlights. Tiny tweaks.

The last major change was the new drive information screen in 4.2.30/4.2.34 and that was a long time ago.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about Tesla not doing this. Given a choice between this and work on the Model S, if I was Tesla it would be an easy decision. The Roadster owners are important to the future of Tesla, just not so sure about the Roadster itself.

I have not been able to track TRON on the OVMS in his 'around the world in 80 eDays' for some time. Can anyone else find him on the groups function 'electricrace?' I can find him on the website. Is the unit in his car disabled?

I have not been able to track TRON on the OVMS in his 'around the world in 80 eDays' for some time. Can anyone else find him on the groups function 'electricrace?' I can find him on the website. Is the unit in his car disabled?

He's online, and box is working. If you go to maps.google.com, and then put this in to the search box:
http://tmc.openvehicles.com:6868/group?id=ELECTRICRACE
you'll see him. That is exactly the same group data that the smartphone apps get.

I can't see him under the group on the iPhone App either, but he's definitely in the group. I think it might be a bug. Are you running the testflightapp version, or the App store version, or Android?

I can't see him under the group on the iPhone App either, but he's definitely in the group. I think it might be a bug. Are you running the testflightapp version, or the App store version, or Android?

I'm using the iPhone app. I certaily can see him on Google Maps. Looks like he hasn't moved since arriving in China! Any way to pick him up on the iPhone app?

Each device is independent. You can control what types of notifications are received, on a per-app basis, in the settings app.

Sorry Mark, I missed this. I didn't mean things like "Charging Stopped", but the text messages being sent to the OVMS SIM card by the carrier saying things like "Your account has been charged $10". I do not have access to the iPad currently but I'll get a real example if it's not clear in less than a week. Thanks.

Sorry Mark, I missed this. I didn't mean things like "Charging Stopped", but the text messages being sent to the OVMS SIM card by the carrier saying things like "Your account has been charged $10". I do not have access to the iPad currently but I'll get a real example if it's not clear in less than a week. Thanks.

Not really sure what you mean by this. Do you want to say both devices get notified for charging stopped, but only one device for forwarded SMS messages? If so, no that is not possible.

We can turn on/off the notifications, per device (iOS Settings App). We can even turn on/off the sms forwarding feature (it is in the car bits feature). But, we can't selectively control which device gets which notifications.

Mark,

Sorry if someone has posted about this before, but I couldn't find it. On my battery screen, my antenna in the upper right corner is flashing red and says "3 days" below it. I think that means that I've lost contact with my car. I checked my pay as you go account and there is still $76 balance. My iPhone app won't let me unlock the car (my favorite feature). Any ideas why this is happening?